Providence Catholic School

Private | 6-12 | 350 students

We are best known for 100% college acceptance rate.

Living in San Antonio

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $77,400. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $730.

Sweep tile

Posted July 21, 2013

While looking for middle schools for my girl, we wanted a school that would nurture our daughter intellectually, socially, in a faith based environment, and develop her into a woman who had self confidence and prepare her well for college. It is great that Providence goes from middle school to high school so a child can gather "momentum" in her development. We find Providence to emphasize academics, nurture the young women with individual attention, and foster a family atmosphere. My daughter has always done well academically but has found a school where she truly feels like she belongs, made many friends, has no bullying, where she can concentrate on academics and feel nurtured in a critical time of her development. We feel Providence provides an outstanding education, has small class sizes, places graduates into excellent colleges, and has an extremely responsive administration from the Principal on down (they constantly look at how to improve with feedback from parents). They compete quite well compared to schools with 3 times their tuition. I would give this school 10 stars if I could and find the tuition we pay quite a bargain given the education my daughter receives.

Posted July 19, 2013

My daughter was not a lover of school .. we became accustomed to daily battles about 'mean' teachers, 'mean' students, indifferent administrators. We chose Providence based on a friends' recommendation and crossed our fingers hoping that things would be better for her. WE ARE SO PLEASED! She looks forward to school each day, stays late to hang out in the library or for tutoring. She has many friends, and is planning to try out for a sports team. In short Providence changed my daughter's attitude completely. We are very, very pleased with her attitude and motivation. We are very pleased about the academic atmosphere fostered at the school. In short all the elements we wanted for her, academics, athletics, ethics, friendship, respect are available to her.

Posted April 16, 2013

After plodging through a mediocre parochial grade school, my daughter is excelling in Providence High School. She is excited to have so many unique and genuine friends, challenged by the academic regimen, and enthralled by the variety of artistic electives. I am astonished to see how well she has developed in one year, spiritually, scholastically, and socially. She absolutely hates to miss school for any reason since becoming Providence student.

Posted July 29, 2012

As a former student and alumnae of this institution, I can firmly attest that the education and values that I had received from Providence High School was highly beneficial to my future. I graduated almost ten years ago, and in those ten years I look back and am sincerely grateful to Sisters of Divine Providence for preparing me for my Undergraduate and Graduate work. I will say that even when I was in high school there were bullies that loved to terrorize girls who were different from the rest of the pack. Our graduating class had a major problem with this issue. In short, Providence will prepare your daughter for college, but she will have to develop tough skin in order to survive through graduation.

Posted July 12, 2012

Our daughter is going into the 8th grade she loves it at providence so do we she has learned how take charge of her time

Posted July 28, 2011

This is my Fifth year at providence and it is everything i could ever ask for in a school. its not the easiest to get through, but it's worth it. honestly i don't appreciate the comments about the middle school. THERE ARE BULLIES EVERYWHERE!!! and believe me, when teachers find out, THEY ARE KICKED OUT! But, you can't aviod mean people your whole life. this is a place where if you have a problem, you can easily fix it. it is a small school and the teachers are there around the clock to help you and work for you. WE are there #1 priority. Our school is competitive and quite successful. Don't knock it until you try it guys. And if you didn't like it, then you didn't try hard enough.

Posted January 19, 2011

I hear great things about the High school but if you think you are going to get the same experience in the Middle School I am sorry to disappoint you. PPS is not a place for your daughter. The teachers are rude and have no business in a classroom setting when they consistently yell and demean students in front of the class. Teachers do not respect the students and are very comfortable in their positions. The "Mean Girls" of the school are tolerated and terrorize other students while the faculty does absolutely NOTHING! I assure you that the lack of self esteem your daughter will receive attending this Middle School is not worth it.

Posted August 10, 2010

I just graduated from Providence this year (2010) and I can truly say that this school is incredible. I am now on my way to a prestigious 4yr University and feel fully prepared due to the school. If your daughter attends Providence she will feel immediately at home, everyone is friendly, the staff and teachers are great and willing to spend time one on one if needed, and being located right downtown the school is culturally diverse, welcoming all. DO take advantage of as many AP courses as possible they are rigorous and can possibly save money in the long run for example I don't have to take another english or history course in college. The school also offers great extra-curricular activities and clubs. A band program is also offered and this is the only co-ed class with Central Catholic, I was in band and loved it. <3 PHS

Posted July 6, 2010

My daughter attended Providence Prepatory for grades 6th thru 8th and is getting ready to be a Freshman there. Providence is a great school with a low student to teacher ratio & a faith based education. My daughter attended the ACTS retreat during the Summer & not only wants to go every year until she graduates but has encouraged me to attend one as well. She is on the volleyball team, which has good commoradory. The importants of volunteering in the community is taught & shown to them by requiring them to achieve service hours through out the year. The teachers love teaching there & it shows through their dedication & understanding.

Posted May 25, 2010

This school is the worst school and Please be careful because the school has double standards and lots of bulling students and the some teachers will not respond to emails and if your daughter is teachers pet she can be number one no matter what and if you want respect please dont choose this school.

Posted April 26, 2010

We are proud parents of a 7th grader. This is a wonderful school enviroment. My daughter has being enriched in so many ways, Faith, Service, Love and Dedication. GO PROVETS GO!

Posted April 26, 2010

I'm an alumna of Providence, and I am grateful for the solid education I received at PHS and the caring, creative teachers I met there.

Posted April 23, 2010

I am a 7th grader at Providence. I really love it there because everyone is nice. I also like the fact that we have small classes so in that case we have more time with the teacher. I am so far happy hear and hope that i may be able to attend high school here.

Posted April 1, 2010

Graduates of Providence embody the ideals of a Providence woman: faith, service, leadership.

Posted March 26, 2010

I have worked at Providence for six years in the English department. Our teachers are dedicated, giving countless hours to professional improvement through attending conferences and working on curriculum alignment outside of the school year, developing dynamic methods to teach material, and being present to the students before, during, and after school. We educate, challenge, and nurture girls to reach their goals and the goals they only imagined. Universities such as Stanford and Notre Dame are among the institutions our young women are invited to attend after their time at Providence. It is a fine learning haven for girls to become confident, successful women. I am honored to teach at Providence.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted February 26, 2010

The best Catholic high school in San Antonio ... great education, Religious presence, college preparedness, wonderful culture, diversity.

Posted January 19, 2010

It's an great school. My daughter comes home telling me everthing she has learned from the school. I'm very happy with Providence.

Posted January 14, 2010

Well I am an 8th grader attending Providence Prep. I really think Providence is a great school. The teachers are very helpful and the learning is easy. You just have to put forth the effort to succeed and Providence will do the rest to prepare you for life. At Providence we learn not only academics but morals and how to be a good, natural, excellent person.

Posted December 14, 2009

I really enjoy going to this school! Right now I am a 7th grader at Providence Prepatory and I never want to leave. :)

Posted November 5, 2009

I graduated from PHS a few years ago and loved the experience. When you first walk through the halls you really become part of a family. My only complaint is they could do a lot better in the college application process. All the counselor did was encourage us to apply and asked to make copies of our acceptance letters. I'm a first generation college student currently in the process of transferring to a 4-year university- I could have used more support than a list of universities under my name in the lobby.

Two or more races 9% N/A
Asian 3% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

College readiness and student pathways

Students typically attend these schools prior to attending this school 33% from San Antonnio Independent School District
33% from North or Northeast Independent S.D.
33% from 7 other districts in and arounbd San Antonio
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Teacher resources

Foreign languages spoken by school staff French
Korean
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:15 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school

Foreign languages spoken by staff
  • Korean
  • Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of San Antonio

• Video / Film production

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
  • We have a very active parents' club. they volunteer for fundraising efforts and provide social events for faculty and staff.