6-12|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Too much (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered School leader (1 response)

Posted December 18, 2015
We are at the middle school, which is at the same location. My daughter was previously in public school where she was harassed and bullied, mostly because she didn't have the social sophistication to avoid being a target. She had a lot of friends there though and did not want to move. Put her in Providence and she was not excited about it (hated the uniform). Now after one semester I've asked her where she wants to go next year ... she says Providence. It took a month or two to adjust with a hiccup here and there. She loves the teachers, has made a lot of good friends. Kids come from all over the city to go to this school, so I was concerned that friendships would be tougher to develop as there are driving considerations in getting to and from houses, but the community was very welcoming, great group of parents. Dealt with the administration there over one issue in the beginning. Thought they were professional, caring, and fair. My daughter is forming great memories there, safe environment, welcoming environment even those who could be described as a little bit "free thinking". Academically some of the homework load has been equivalent to perhaps G/T in public schools or at least Pre-AP. There has been slight turnover of teachers mid year, not sure if it's perhaps because of finding better pay elsewhere, which was a little worrisome. But all in all, I have been very very pleased with this school. If I could have one wish, wish they had an after school arts program. There are at least 2 art places with programs for kids near by, wish they could coordinate and get them to come on campus on do some extra curricular arts or music. I never thought too much about it being an all girl school, but in retrospect that has been really neat for her. There is a lot of negative interactions that happen in public school, just because they are mixed environments. She has never been happy with that part of the school, but I can tell you she is much more relaxed than she was at a co-ed public school. I recommend this school. Lastly, the lunches there are first rate. My daughter loves them.

Grateful to: School leader

Posted December 18, 2015
We needed a little steering early on and my daughter adjusted to the new environment. The staff is very caring and I believe did a great job of helping with the transition to their school and hiccups that have occurred along the way. I would recommend this school to anyone looking for a safe place to learn and grow without a lot of the ugly peer pressure and bullying that does happen frequently at the public schools.

Amount of homework: Don't know

Posted December 18, 2015
Sometimes I think there is too much homework. But overall, seems to be the right amount. The midterms reviews were quite challenging and that surprised me. I went through those with her and I thought what they were being asked was challenging. However, I was impressed that she was able to fill out most of it without referring to her book and she scored well on the tests, so it's apparent that they in fact instilled all that knowledge into her, which was impressive.

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted December 18, 2015
you will need some grit to handle homework, not in all classes, but some of the classes do have good amount of homework.

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted December 18, 2015
I was very impressed with the religion teacher. I was even more impressed by my daughter's responses to situations outside of school showing more development in those areas. It's clear that something about this school is influencing her to continue developing into a strong person with strong values - not sure if it's the subjects taught, the teachers, the kids, or what, but I do see a difference in her and I've been very happy with it.

Develops respect: Strongly agree

Posted May 26, 2015
Bullying is not tolerated and the girls get to be close and really respect each other. My daughter had trouble at other schools because of her "unique " personality, but at providence she was truly accepted for who she is. There everyone can be themselves.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted May 26, 2015
The schoo aims to build strong women committed to knowledge, faith and justice. They practice that in their service hours, the religion classes and their rules.

Posted November 13, 2014
We have been very happy with this school. The classes have been challenging as our daughter was used to making As without much effort in public school. The teachers here are caring and our daughter has made good friends. The school offers lots of opportunities to be involved for everyone.

Posted July 21, 2013
While looking for middle schools for my girl, we wanted a school that would nurture our daughter intellectually, socially, in a faith based environment, and develop her into a woman who had self confidence and prepare her well for college. It is great that Providence goes from middle school to high school so a child can gather "momentum" in her development. We find Providence to emphasize academics, nurture the young women with individual attention, and foster a family atmosphere. My daughter has always done well academically but has found a school where she truly feels like she belongs, made many friends, has no bullying, where she can concentrate on academics and feel nurtured in a critical time of her development. We feel Providence provides an outstanding education, has small class sizes, places graduates into excellent colleges, and has an extremely responsive administration from the Principal on down (they constantly look at how to improve with feedback from parents). They compete quite well compared to schools with 3 times their tuition. I would give this school 10 stars if I could and find the tuition we pay quite a bargain given the education my daughter receives.

Posted July 19, 2013
My daughter was not a lover of school .. we became accustomed to daily battles about 'mean' teachers, 'mean' students, indifferent administrators. We chose Providence based on a friends' recommendation and crossed our fingers hoping that things would be better for her. WE ARE SO PLEASED! She looks forward to school each day, stays late to hang out in the library or for tutoring. She has many friends, and is planning to try out for a sports team. In short Providence changed my daughter's attitude completely. We are very, very pleased with her attitude and motivation. We are very pleased about the academic atmosphere fostered at the school. In short all the elements we wanted for her, academics, athletics, ethics, friendship, respect are available to her.

1215 North Saint Mary's Street, San Antonio, TX  78215
Last modified Providence Catholic School is a Private school that serves grades 6-12