Posted October 19, 2014
I am not sure about that parent who posted on Sept 29th but my kids have never been bullied at SGS. In looking over math scores, my children have consistently scored over 75%. It's a great community.

Posted September 29, 2014
I agree this school has a significant problem with allowing children who bully and act inapprorpiately to remain here and repeatedly harm other children both physically and verbally with few consequences. We have seen this happen at many grade levels and lots of folks have left due to this concern. The math curriculum and instruction has been lacking for many years. The administration has been laregely unresponsive to many issues for several years and problems with facilities, curriculum, discipline, policies, etc. have been slow to resolve. The faculty are an amazing group of people but don't have the right support or materials they need. This school places a lot of emphasis on helping those who have special learning needs and very little to challenge those who excel. Very disappointed with how things have gone over the years as the decline in all areas has been terrible.

Posted September 13, 2014
I cannot say enough good things about this school. We transferred our child from a public school (which by the way had "certified teachers"), because my child could not read or write at grade level. Even though we asked several times how my child was doing and the teacher said "fine." Once I was able to see the work, which I asked for several times, we finally realized that my child couldn't read or write. When we got to St. Gregory's the Great,my child caught up to grade level in no time due to the awesome tutoring offered by the school. Within 2 years, my child is now reading and writing well above grade level. Even now, we are discovering there are other learning issues with my child and SGS school is working well with us to figure out a plan for my child. The teachers love their jobs. It is a calling for them and it shows in how they deal with the children. We have now placed our other children at this school and have experienced nothing but positive atmosphere and outcomes. I love how the teachers love the children, but still expect them to behave and be respectful. They balance this nicely. Again, I can't say enough good things about this school.

Posted April 07, 2014
I like how St. Gregory the Great celebrates their Catholic faith! Mass every week, Stations and Chaplet during Lent, prayers, devotions. My child is always sharing with me how they pray and learn more about their faith every day. Beautiful! I like going to Mass with them when I can.

Posted February 01, 2014
This is the last year my children will attend this school. This school has a priority of pointing fingers at students rather than having teaching as their priority. The majority of these teachers are not State Certified to teach. If they had passed the required test, they would be at a public school getting more money. This school has an enrollment of probably 75% Hispanics. Their website reflects many student pictures of others than Hispanics. And then again, those pictured are children of the administration and teachers. These students are the preferred of the school. What keeps this school going is the mandatory raffles and tickets every student is required to sell. The unsold tickets will be added to the student's tuition. I have checked other schools and have found out there are several other private schools where my children will be exposed to better quality of teaching and be recognized as an individual student and helped by a teacher.

St. Gregory the Great School 2

Posted January 31, 2014
As for the standing ovation addressed in a previous review, frankly being outright, the principal nor vice-principal deserve this. We clap for those who have done true teaching and guidance. I do not see a person in this school who deserves this kind of great treatment. Those that deserve the applause are the parents who have put up for so many years of paying for the uncertified teaching our children are getting.

Posted November 29, 2013
I have 2 children in early grades and have been extremely happy with the education that they are getting. My kindergartner is learning to read easily and he has learned to love books. All of the staff from before school, after school, teachers and lunch staff know my children by name and are always friendly. We get much communication through texts, facebooks and emails everyday. My husband is a teacher in the public school system and we are so thankful that St. Gregory's teachers are free to teach core curriculum without having to worry about standardized state testing requirements. Would highly recommend this school.

Posted October 05, 2013
My school is St. Gregory the Great School in San Antonio. I'm in eighth grade and its amazing! There's pretty much no drama and we are like a family. People are mostly really friendly. The only thing I have a problem with is that it can be kinda strict and the main middle school math teacher could better. (and the lunch food could be a lot better) Overall I've basically grown up here and love most of the people here! I'm gonna miss it so much! It is a great school and I know I'm going to be prepared for high school :)

Posted September 13, 2013
Response to post dated 26 August, 2013. "Communication from the school is through students"? You obviously do not go to the school website...or signed up for the school text system...or go to PTC meetings...or even read your daily emails form the school. If you have a problem with a subject matter being taught...there are avenues to express your concerns. Oh wait...you don't communicate with the school. There is not a school in this state that will bounce curriculum off parents for approval. The reason why your child is assigned certain classes is because they are the main core academic subject areas need for your child to be successful in the next level. This is not high school...you will not have a long list of electives to choose from.

Posted August 26, 2013
Communication from the school is through students. Classes are assigned by the teachers without any consideration for either the parents' or students' desires for student curriculae. Parents are not advised about class assignments or reasons thereof. Considering the $5K/year tuition, I as a parent expect a voice in my child's curriculae, and to be advised of classes assigned and the reasons why. Additionally, the school has the worst math "teacher" I have ever seen for all "middle school" maths -- this person not only doesn't "have time" to answer student questions, the individual doesn't seem to know how to teach math and in fact seems to hate teaching at all. Bottom line: if you are at all interested in your child's math learning abilities, or wish a voice in their classes, GO SOMEWHERE ELSE.

St. Gregory the Great School
700 Dewhurst Road, San Antonio, TX  78213
Last modified St. Gregory the Great School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
St. Gregory the Great School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 28 reviews. Top