Posted March 22, 2015
When we made the decision to transfer our son from public to private school, we began our search based on his needs. When you have a child with autism, you pray doors open. Upon arriving at St. Mary Magdalen School, meeting with the principal and taking a tour, we fell in love with the community and educational program. We were elated when our son accepted to be part of the Maverick community. Everything began to fall into place. Small class sizes, teachers from Boston College and Notre Dame under a loan forgiveness program and a dynamic principal add up to a rich learning environment. Diverse clubs to join after school, Success Maker for tutoring, Freshmen Connection, and a Graduate Success Program to help create a solid foundation for students. Well, here we are 8 months later and thanking God for guiding us to a great school where my son is happy and productive.

Posted February 10, 2015
I could not be happier with the education my son is getting at St. Mary Magdalen. He was enrolled because he was being bullied at public school for being "too Smart". Since attending SMM my son has made lifelong friends, and feels more than safe and comfortable in his environment. This school has accepted us as part of the family from day one. The concepts that he brings home from what he is learning at school never cease to amaze me. The principal Mr. Daily is hands down the best administrator I have ever encountered, he makes sure to encourage all students daily and is always very involved. I am more than thankful for the way my son is treated, educated and accepted at this school.

Posted July 08, 2014
St. Mary Magdalen is a fine school with knowledgeable, supportive, and considerate teachers and sound leadership in its principal Mr. Daily and his administrative staff. This institution played a big part in getting my son on the right path and took him from a failing position at another private school to becoming a huge success in his 8th grade year. Thank you all for everything you did academically, morally and spiritually for my family.

Posted May 06, 2014
This is our son's 1st year at Catholic school and it's one of the most wonderful experiences of our lives! His teachers have gone the extra mile for our class. We've worked as a team to help support our son's transition into private school and he is doing amazingly well. He was awarded the Student of the Month award for March. My friends & I were sitting in the back crying tears of joy, soaking up the words the teacher used to describe our son. The junior high teachers turned around to reassure me that our son "is doing very well". That made me feel that we had not only found a great school but a second family. Our son will go to 1st grade next, so our journey is only beginning, my wish for your family is that you have a blessed experience at St. Mary Magdalen School, as well. The Principal is very present and easily accessible to parents. The staff is very helpful and accommodating. The kids are respectful, polite and a joy, great examples for our son. Being on the PTC Board, working with my son's teachers and coaching the Cheer Squad, I've had an opportunity to be around, get to know people and spend time with the children. We are blessed to have found this school.

St. Mary Magdalen School 3

Posted April 25, 2014
The school has no discipline and many of the teachers come in late all of the time. When another school closed down many of these students came to this school along with some of their teachers. These are the teachers who seem to have special privileges because their former principal got them the jobs. This person came to school and made sure her people were taken care of. From what I heard, many complained about the former principal because he was too strict. I think strict is ok because it will teach the children to try hard and learn that life will not be always be easy. On the other hand, the principal works very hard and is bringing new and fresh ideas to the school. Not all of his teachers are incompetent, some seem to be very dedicated and are very accommodating. Many of them I see very busy all of the time and have smiles on their face. It is just a few who seem to be cold, and lack responsible work ethic. These teachers need to move on and I just wish more parents would speak up so these things can be corrected.

St. Mary Magdalen School 1

Posted April 25, 2014
This school is unbelievable. There is a complete lack of discipline in many of the grades. When another school closed down, many of their students came to this school as well as some of their teachers. With these students and teachers came a lack respect. The principal from the closed school made sure they were taken care of and was and is around to ensure they are will be taken care of. This is sad when there are so many good qualified teachers looking for jobs and this this school is stuck with these who come in late most of the time and have formed opinions about the previous administration and parish and are quite vocal about it. I give the principal a lot of credit because he seems to be such a hard worker bringing in new and fresh ideas to bring up the school. I am pleased to see him with the students. I also am very happy with his front office personal as well as the Librarian who always seem to working and are always very accommodating. I don't like what I see when students are unattended, out of uniform, and disrespectful. I am not sorry about making this statement and I wish more would speak up. I plan to talk to Father and see what can be done.

Posted July 30, 2013
great school, teachers are great, most of parents we know each other feels like a family

Posted July 30, 2013
As newcomers last year, we were VERY pleased when school began with a mass before open house. The new Principal is doing a great job moving the school in the direction of a more true Catholic identity. The teachers encourage and challenge students to strive to their full potential. As with any change in administration, there was bumps in the road. Fortunately, the Principal has taken on these as challenges and has continued to move this school in a positive direction! We look forward to another successful year in a school where our child has blossomed. We are also very pleased with how involved the parish priest are with the school. This is what a Catholic school should be.

Posted July 22, 2013
I think this school has improved GREATLY over the past two years. When we first came 2011-2012 school year, the teaching was archaic and outdated. The principal was rude and dismissive. When the old principal left, and along with him many archaic ideas, we decided to give the school a second chance and were very pleased. It is not perfect, but has improved and my kids have flourished. Yes, there are ALOT of Fundraisers, it's the same with any private institution. The school is part of the Good Sheperd Network and is required to sell for Hope for the Future in the Fall (Catholic Charities Raffle $250 per famly at $5 a ticket). It is also required to raise $250 per family in the Spring. To that end we have a Casino Night and Silent Auction. These tickets cost more (dinner and casino chips for you to gamble), but are part of an obligation. All of the proceeds, minus that $250 in ticket sales goes back to the school for scholarships. There are"mini fundraisers" as well. These help pay for field trips and last year for a teacher conference in Houston that lasted a whole week. These are VOLUNTARY and no one is required to participate. Lack of parent particpation is frustrating.

St. Mary Magdalen School 1

Posted May 20, 2013
school is ridiculous. this school is very disorganized and flat out a joke. I have need been part of something so misguided. the leadership is lacking in every aspect. seems to me the only thing that they agree upon and organize about is getting your money. I would never pay another year for them to keep aggravating day after day. find another school even if its a public. you will get your child a lot more attention and control there even if its 10x larger. teachers are just as much to blame. not to say the staff isn't nice but they will kill you with kindness. its not a personal thing its business at this point and they don't do good business. as much money as they ask for during the year and donations, maybe this business could give better service to your child and parents. and don't get me started on the whole raffle issue. good luck trying to get a straight answer on the outcome for your labor of selling several tickets to friends and family and they cant tell you who won. pretty sure its rigged to insure maximum profit of well over $100 for one raffle. once you know how everything works and ask a few questions then you will see the real lack of service you are receiving.

St. Mary Magdalen School
1700 Clower, San Antonio, TX  78201
Last modified St. Mary Magdalen School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
St. Mary Magdalen School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 18 reviews. Top