PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Too much (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very ineffective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered School leader (1 response)

Posted June 22, 2016
Love the school! They have a wonderful and loving environment with an excellent academic curriculum. Top notch principal, teachers, administration and staff. I can't imagine my children anywhere else, by far the best education for the money.

Posted May 19, 2015
After sending all three of our children through SG, we are big fans of this school. SG has outstanding and creative teachers who challenge and love the children. When our daughter needed extra challenges in Math, the teachers went out of their way to enrich and challenge her. When our son made a serious mistake in 4th grade, the school stepped in, provided appropriate discipline, and helped him learn from his mistake in a direct but loving way. Overall, we found the academic preparation was top notch for our kids. With the SG foundation, all three of our children have gone on to excel in numerous honors and AP classes in a very rigorous private high school program. In addition to providing excellent academic preparation, the sports program is very strong and very competitive, and the drama program is amazing. Love chapel and the opportunity for our kids to participate in meaningful community service. Highly recommend a visit to see if this would be the right place for your family.

St. George Episcopal School 4

Posted October 25, 2014
Before choosing St George, we read through all of these reviews hoping to glean some useful information about academics (without finding anything of substance). So in the interest of aiding future parents... St George is a wonderful value and offers a good education--more robust than public schools, but less rigorous than some of its (more expensive) peers. The curriculum is less ambitious than it could be. Math and reading follow a typical track, and there is little incentive for creativity or "out of the box" thinking. There are lots of worksheets. But the academics are solid, and the students are polite and well-spoken. The teachers are invested in the kids and the atmosphere is supportive. We moved one of our kids to a different private school in search of a more challenging curriculum (we found it, but are paying for it). We have kept another child at the school for several years simply because it's a nice place to be. Private school politics and cliques exist, but they're not as pervasive at SGES as they are at some of its peer institutions.

Posted May 20, 2014
Our child is about to complete her 9th year at St. George. We feel she has received an excellent education at St. George and will be more than prepared for high school (she will be taking all pre-AP courses next year at our local public HS). They hold high academic standards within a small and loving environment. If you have a bright and motivated child, St. George may be a good choice for you.

Posted December 22, 2013
I am very sorry to say that this is a below average school. They strive to give the work of a true academic school but it is only a cheap attempt. More so, when you question them, they try and make the parent feel as though it is the parent's fault. During the same time, they try and condition the student to not want to leave (coaxing by using their tactics). Unfortunately, it makes it impossible to leave and your child becomes confused. There are teachers there fighting for true education however- they are loosing the battle. There are families that are favorites and get all the schmoozing-- which is not "Jesus" like. Please- go to Saint Mary's Hall.

Posted October 16, 2013
As a recently retired Saint George teacher, I would like to take this opportunity to recommend this school to any interested party. I discovered as a former public school teacher, that it was worth the sacrifice on my part to take a significant decrease in salary to work in the private setting. The administration encouraged me to develop age appropriate curriculum which caused me to grow as an educator and also allowed me to experiment with the best practices to bring about growth in my students. Every parent wants the perfect setting for their child. The best thing to remember is that it must be a partnership and it is a long journey through any system. There will be rough spots in any child s educational career. That said, I believe that Saint George can, and will, deliver the Best Bang for your Buck.

Posted September 26, 2013
This is a terrible school!The Headmaster, who's been here for the last 7 yr or so, doesn't like to listen to anything that does not favor him. The only thing he listens to is money!I approached him about a bullying situation and offered my suggestion and solutions (with proven track records) and he said,"We don't have a bullying problem."This is a very cliquish and money rules environment.Since we have been there our tuition has increased to double of what it was when we started my second child and it all to surround him with people to do his job.He now has about 3 people that do all work load that in the past old headmasters could do all alone.When we started here we had wonderful, caring, hard-working teachers.Now it is filled with ex-public school teachers that are only there to bulk-up their retirement funds and offer now a non challenging curriculum.These teachers were all hired by the lower school director because they were her friends when she worked in public school.I challenge all to research on all the directors and headmaster credentials.Their credentialsdon't support the job titles.I hold hope that these people will leave and others will rebuild it to its former glory.

Posted March 27, 2012
My son has been at this school for 3 years. This school is nothing remotely close to what they portray themselves to be. The school does not do anything to bring out the best in students. In fact they likely do the exact opposite for half of the students. Their goal is to sort through the students and find those that excel naturally. Very little is done to teach children how to be successful. Students that naturally succeed in school will find this environment to be accommodating to their gift. If your child requires any kind of attention, guidance or discipline, this school will do nothing but damage your child. In my opinion this is due to the teachers that they hire. At $10,000 per year for elementary school, you'd think they would hire the best teachers they can find. With a little inspection, you will find that the school is filled with nepotism. My wife and I went through a divorce this year and my son certainly suffered from that. The school has done nothing but increase the pressure on him and add to his challenges. While not entirely their fault they have essentially robbed him of his confidence. I have been to 15+ conferences in less than 3 years. Most, I requested.

Posted March 26, 2012
Wish there were more stars available to rate with! This school is phenomenal for my Junior Kinder child. They have gone over and beyond what I would ever expect from any preschool program. They provide one-on-one attention, an outstanding and nurturing faculty, a great curriculum that keeps the child's needs first and so many options for learning. Keep up the outstanding work!

Posted June 25, 2011
I attended St. George from 1st to 8th grade and am about to start college. Currently, I have 2 younger cousins in elementary school and middle school there, respectively. To be honest, I so immensely enjoyed my years at St. George. Not only did I make life-long friends, but I believe I owe a lot of my academic foundation (and discipline) to the amazing teachers. Since starting high school, I have continued to go back annually and visit those that have remained. All I can say is that, if you want a well-rounded, intelligent, and socially well-adjusted child, St. George will be a conducive environment. My only complaint: the absence of a St. George high school!!

St. George Episcopal School
6900 West Avenue, San Antonio, TX  78213
Last modified St. George Episcopal School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8