San Antonio, TX

TMI - The Episcopal School of Texas

Posted February 07, 2010
TMI is a great school. We have been extremely pleased with the academics and close knit community of parents, faculty and students. The are growing because of the success of the academics and college placements; but the students are still encouraged to be involved with sports, clubs, and lots of community service.

Posted October 09, 2009
Excellent school, with great academics and a great ethos. The teachers here really care about the students and do all that they can to help them succeed. The school is really a hidden gem, known only to a few but truly excellent in all aspects. I heartily recommend it.

Posted October 07, 2009
Like the previous poster, I am an alumnus of the school and have the fondest memories of it. The school is a very special place for me and, I think, a very special place in general. TMI is an institution at once deeply traditional and highly progressive. It is traditional in the fact that its basic ideals draw from a long history of Western thought, prominently including Plato, Cicero, Christian Scripture and Theology and Renaissance Humanism. It is a progressive institution in that it does not view this tradition in the light of dusty antiquarianism, but as a means to remedy real problems in the world of the 21st century. I really do feel that TMI sets out to prepare young men and women to lead and to serve others. In the meantime, we got a great academic education and enjoyed a great community.

Posted October 07, 2009
Let's face it: San Antonio is a provincial city. One might reasonably expect, therefore, that its schools would be provincial schools, bland, passable and without pretensions of greater things. TMI is not like that (I dare not comment upon other local schools). The academics are very good, arguably world-class, and the school has a strong and distinctive ethos based on the twin concepts of service and leadership. We had considered sending our son to boarding school in Austin if not on the East Coast to get the education we thought that he needed, but TMI far exceeded our expectations. Don't be put off by the website, which changes frequently and is generally badly designed. Here is a school with much to offer, not only to the local community, but to the nation and the world.

Posted September 01, 2009
I am an alumnus for the school and can scarcely recommend it highly enough. Having known and worked with alumni of many very prestigious private schools on four continents, I feel that I am justified in saying that the school's academics are truly world-class. Furthermore, the school community is a very close-knit one, in which students are all but forced to develop close relationships with both their peers and the faculty. The school is by no means religiously dogmatic, but the Christian tradition of service to others is taken very seriously. If you are looking for a school that combines rigorous academics and a great community in the best traditions of boarding pre schools, then TMI is not only your best (and only) option in South Texas, but a viable option when compared to schools across the country and the world.

Posted June 28, 2007
This is my third year as a parent of a TMI student. If you are looking for a private school in the San Antonio area, you should consider this as a strong possibility. Associated with the Episcopal church for over 100 years, but now the school is emphasizing that tradition. Military is optional. Excellent academics, without being ridiculously stressful. For a small school, there are a surprising number of options for electives. If even one student wants to take a course, usually that can be accomodated. Some classes as small as 2 to 4 students, although core classes usually about 15-18. Discipline is good without being punitive. Some students are incredibly talented in sports, or music, and some are exceptionally bright--room for everyone to thrive. Headmaster mostly interested in development and vision-look to teachers or assistant heads to problem solve. Overall, this school is a rising star in San Antonio.

Posted March 13, 2007
As a single mom of 2 great kids, I couldn't be happier that they have been given the gift of high school years at TMI. I work in the hs they would otherwise go to and am thankful every passing period they aren't with me. Not only have my sons maintained and nurtured their faith-life, but they have also gained the wisdom of young men who haven't had a dad since they were 2. The adult support on campus is above anything I have ever known since their Scout leaders. The classes available are literally college prep, creating a foundation for their future I couldn't have given them otherwise. Even the opportunity to excel in sports has given each physical and emotional strengths. Attending TMI was not my idea. My children asked if we could visit. It was the hardest and most wonderful trip I've ever taken.

Posted March 02, 2006
I cannot say enough good things about this school. They fully support the students and strive for them to succeed. Excellent faculty. And excellent ROTC program.

Posted January 05, 2006
I have two children who have graduated from this school. They both were benificiaries of the small environment and small class sizes that allowed indiviual help and when appropriate, accelerated and individualized curriculum. The athletic opportunities were marvelous and both of my children played multiple varsity level sports when they would not have had that opportunity at the local public school. I liked the daily chapel where they received positive messages and encouragement. Attending school where all students apply and are accepted to colleges helped maintain a focus that is missing at other schools. The college counselor was very helpful and we are grateful for the scholarship opportunities at the college level. There were many activities and leadership was encouraged. One child was in the JROTC and one was not. It was a very positive experience.

Posted October 16, 2005
Great school, highly recomend

TMI - The Episcopal School of Texas
20955 West Tejas Trail, San Antonio, TX  78257
Last modified TMI - The Episcopal School of Texas is a Private school that serves grades 6-12
TMI - The Episcopal School of Texas Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 20 reviews. Top