PK-5|Private

Bad
Good

My daughter started out in the parent infant program and then we transitioned her into preschool at sunshine and that's when we really fell in love with the school. We are actually thinking about having our other typical hearing daughter in sunshine it's such an awesome school. We love it

Both of my daughters are hearing and were part of the reverse main stream program. They interacted with the hearing impaired children as you would with anyone else. Many times they helped the teacher. The small classroom size of 6 to 8 children was also a plus. This school does not teach your hearing impaired child to sign, as in many instances this is more of a handicap, but instead the teach useful things like lip reading, and help to see if you child is eligible for a cochlear inplant. I have witnessed children that when they arrived at this school often from other parts of this great country or even a few for other countries could not hear to watch them develop a vocabulary and more often than not hey are main streamed into the 7th grade. What a wonderful accomplishment.

We had both a hearing impaired and typical hearing child attend this school and we loved every minute of our time there. In fact, when it was time for the military to move us, my husband volunteered to do a 1-year remote tour (without his family) in Korea so that we could stay in San Antonio a have our children go to Sunshine Cottage for another year. The staff were wonderful and the teachers were all very dedicated and loving. I couldn't recommend another school more highly.

If your child has any trouble with hearing with their implant / hearing aid, I highly recommend finding another school for you and your child. First, when we ran into trouble they were very pessimistic. Eventually even becoming passive agressive with us. (This seemed to be a theme with younger families in the same situation) Our Daughter has a Cochlear Implant, and hears at 25 decibles. She started hearing for the first time in more than two years once she was mapped. She has a vocabulary of over 400 words and phrases. (Not bad for a child at a 7 month level) Yet, this was not good enough for Sunshine. So, after we moved 1200 miles from Ohio, restarted our lives and jobs, to go to this school FOR the deaf, she was kicked out for being deaf! I can only be led to the conclusion that we did not pay full tuition, recieved financial assistance and therefore in these hard economic times, we were the ones they let go. If your child can hear perfectly fine with their equipment, then it will be a good school for you. But please heed my advice. If your child has any difficulties, this is not the school for you.

This school is outstanding! The teachers are extremely dedicated to the kids, such a rich learning evironment. Greatest discovery for my deaf CI child.

This is not only a fantastic school for Hearing Impaired, but hearing kids as well. There are 8 kids in my child's class so she gets the attention she needs. There are so many learning opportunites and she loves all the field trips. Love the teachers, environment, and experience!!

This school has been the most wonderful experience. The Auditory Communication therapy and the teachers who have been so wonderful have helped my child suceed. Laurie

Last modified Sunshine Cottage School For Deaf Children is a Private school that serves grades PK-5