PK-2, 4-12|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (5 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (9 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (5 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (4 responses)

Handles bullying effectively: Neutral

I've had a bullying instance with my child in the form of ostracizing by other children but some of it was because we really pushed Christian behavior and so did the teachers. My child tries to follow these teachings but I feel some of the children did not in regards to decision making, daily prayer, respect to others, dress when away from school, etc., my child was helped by removing electronic devices (not allowed at school), cutting out social media and talking through with the counselor and by getting with other families children to give advice and help her navigate. This is her second year in middle school and she is doing MUCH better and is happy. We have to participate and do our part as parents. Working together with the school was the key not expecting them to 'fix' it for us.

Develops character: Strongly agree

The school is not a daycare. It is a college preparatory school. The academic expectations are high. Moral values are taught and displayed everyday. How are they able to do this? I'm not sure but I can tell you that some families don't like anyone to correct their child and feel excluded if everyone of us parents don't feed into their discontentment. Holding true to the faith and calling out a student who isn't completing assignments, is disrespecting peers and teachers, a teacher who is not teaching, correcting undisciplined students or expecting participation in holy mass are not a bad things simply because parents don't want to accept that their child isn't performing well. Most teachers are school parents also. They care about your child. That I know for sure.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

My children are not the best behaved all the time. We are not wealthy. We are a minority (African American). My children are not at the top of their class. All of this being said they are happy and love their teachers. The discipline is great and the spirituality is terrific. These teachers do not coddle my children but they do take the time to talk with them and they keep me informed on their progress. I participate rather than drop them off and 'jiffy pop' out comes my smarter child. I disagree that the faith is taught but not practiced. The teachers teach responsibility, respect, forgiveness, acting morally, pray to God and to look to him for guidance, help each other, etc., if parents are looking for the teachers to be warm and fuzzy all the time when their job is to teach them this place may not be a great fit. God was not always warm and fuzzy but he IS a loving God and our teachers model this. The faculty teaches your child and correct your child because they care about the child.

Amount of homework: Agree

The homework requires planning and lots of attention. They do not accept mediocre submissions. It can't be slapped together at the last minute. I'm a disciplinarian and so this works for my children. Some may find it difficult to keep up.

I have 5 children at this school. They have grown to be faithful Catholic children who are loved by teachers and friends. The teachers are very in tuned with each child. Very little disruptions in class. The curriculum is awesome and the SAT scores show it. The older students are wonderful leaders and great examples to our lower students. They are kind and often provide insight and encouragment to the younger ones to keep working hard. The school is safe for our children which is also extremely important these days.

Supports LD students: Disagree

There is no special needs program currently

Effective school leaders: Strongly agree

Teachers who do not teach effectively don't stay long. I've had two teachers who did not wish to teach the curriculum because they did not wish to give homework. They were gone soon because compared to the other similar classes the students fell behind which was obvious to parents who had been at the school for a long time. I appreciate the decisiveness of the administration.

Handles bullying effectively: Strongly disagree

One of the students in my class was exiled and shunned from her class because she harbored different views from most of them. They made fun of her and played pranks on her quite often. The staff did nothing to help the girl and instead told her to maybe not talk about those things or bother the other girls. It was bad enough that they eventually took all of their kids out of there.

Supports LD students: Disagree

To go to the atonement, you've got to be fairly smart. There's an entrance exam. If you're weak in any subject you're waitlisted. There really aren't many students with learning disabilities.

Effective school leaders: Neutral

There aren't a ton of leadership opportunities, just NHS. As for leadership building, most classes are entirely book work. You don't really use critical thinking skills.

Last modified Atonement Academy is a Private school that serves grades PK-2, 4-12