Posted September 30, 2014
Keystone is such an amazing place! My son has been here for 2 years and has grown tremendously since enrolling at Keystone. The classes are small, the teachers are supportive and nurturing, and the curriculum is challenging and engaging for the students. A fantastic combination for a great school community. We are so happy with our Keystone experience!

Posted March 19, 2014
I worked as a sub here, and my children expressed interest in attending. The school is for bright, moderately high achieving students. If your child is highly or profoundly gifted, this is not the school for them. The staff aren't not trained in gifted education, and the school simply accelerates one academic year. It is a niche, but for educators and parents who truly care about GT kids, this isn't the place for them. They throw around the term "best practices" but then don't have a clue about what that means for gifted children. But to be fair, they don't really market themselves as a school for gifted kids. They have classes in high school which are billed as humanities courses, but are merely PSAT/SAT prep classes. Not sure if the children are learning how to think critically or follow their passions, but they are learning how to take a high stakes test. The biggest positive it that students are not required to wear uniforms, which for some reason all of South Texas loves a uniform.

Keystone School 4

Posted August 13, 2013
Hi can anyone comment on the College scholarship potential gained from attending Keystone. I am a grandparent and wonder if continuing to invest in a Keystone education is the best best use of our contribution to the grandson's education because there is a pretty good chance that excelling at Keystone could mean a full scholarship to let's say a great school in Texas? The other option is to start pouring funds into the college fund because the likelihood of attaining a full or significant scholarship is slim to none if his family is middle/upper income. Hope to hear from some past graduates or their families.

Posted July 29, 2013
I have to agree with an earlier post regarding the AP Biology class at Keystone. Our son was in this class last year and it was marked by total confussion by the students. There was no organization to the class and very little lecturing by the teacher. For the most part, the class turned out to be self taught. This is not something I would expect from a quality school like Keystone. This became evident after taking tha AP exam where my son did poorly. He did not feel that the material in class did much of anything to prepare him for the exam.

Posted June 05, 2013
I know I speak for quite a few families when I say that Keystone is the sole reason we have stayed in San Antonio. This amazing school -- with its masterful faculty, intellectual culture, and nurturing community -- has been nothing short of a godsend for my two children. Students are celebrated and appreciated for their unique gifts and strengths. The level of critical thinking that is taught and therefore expected - even at the youngest ages - is just incredible. Keystone's teachers are most concerned with teaching kids how to think, how to evaluate information, how to solve problems, and how to express themselves effectively and creatively. It's not about regurgitation, and it's not about prepping for standardized tests (which Keystone kids routinely perform very highly on, but it's a natural byproduct of the wonderful teaching that takes place every day). Keystone's unique size (about 30 students per grade), shared values, and extraordinary faculty make for a meaningful developmental progression from K through 12, with a focus on not only academics, but also social/emotional growth, ethical leadership, and community involvement. Keystone is a very special place!

Posted June 05, 2013
Keystone School is a sanctuary for bright, inquisitive children who are eager to learn, but find school frustrating. At Keystone, they will find peers equally curious about the world around them. My son's love of learning was diminishing and, by the time he was in 5th grade at a local public school, we knew we had to make a change. Wow, what a difference. After moving to Keystone in the 6th grade, his natural curiosity and love of leaning was piqued. His teachers encouraged open, and often diverse, classroom discussions; his peers enjoyed learning about others' views; and the knowledge he gained about other cultures and religions has prepared him well for the world he is entering. My son recently graduated, with honors, from college and I believe the education and nurturing environment he found at Keystone School played an integral part in his college success.

Posted June 05, 2013
I am a parent of two children who attend Keystone School. One of my children is in the Lower School and one has just completed her first year at The Little School of Keystone. This is the first year that Keystone has had a Pre-K program and we loved our experience! Keystone provides an amazing foundation for social, emotional and academic growth. The small class sizes provide a quality program where each child can feel comfortable in their learning environment. My children started Keystone without knowing anyone and they quickly made new friends. As a parent, I found the community to be very welcoming. I highly recommend Keystone School to anyone looking for an amazing educational experience for their child.

Posted April 05, 2013
I am a parent of 3 kids at Keystone and totally happy about the school. My kids all entered during the middle school years and learned the skills of acquiring knowledge and organizing their study independently. They are well prepared at high school and are ready for colleges. The teachers are helpful, the fellow students are stimulating, and the the Head Master who started a couple of years ago is a strong leader. Keystone is not for everyone, especially not for the students from a weaker school in the middle of high school years. It would be way too hard for them. But for the right fit, it is an excellent choice. This year, 12.5% of the graduating students were accepted by ivy universities, 25% were National Merit Finalists. As a parent, I am so proud!

Posted February 12, 2013
As the parent of a child at Keystone, you should be aware that the AP Biology course is a self-taught course at this school. You will receive little to no help from the teacher and material that you are tested on is not reviewed during the class period. The course material is very difficult, often medical school level material (not really a complaint) but you will have to learn the information on your own. In medical school, you will learn this material through lecture, but not at Keystone. Our daughter had to access online medical journals to find out the answer to many of these questions. Additionally, many of the questions were above the education of the teacher and were asked incorrectly. There should be a disclaimer on this class and any others that are self taught. Discussions with those at the school had no effect on how the class was taught.

Posted February 06, 2013
I am a grandparent with three grandchildren, in lower school. I am also a retired teacher, who has taught from pre-school through 12th grade. I am currently a college professor. My oldest grandchild attended three schools, before she found her niche at Keystone in second grade; she is now in 4th grade. My second grandchild started in Kindergarten and gleefully attends school every morning with the anticipation of learning something new. The youngest, my grandson, displays much energy that needed to be molded in the right directions. He started in kindergarten at Keystone, with a label of best behaved in pre-school. I disagreed with this evaluation and so did the teachers at Keystone. Within six weeks, Keystone faculty, with parental help, had shaped-up my grandson, to be a real leader and scholar. In first grade, he has learned to respect adults and to respectfully play with his peers. The Keystone School is quaint in setting and gives students responsibility with individual attention to help them to develop their personal skills and talents.

Keystone School