No rating

Northwest Hills Christian School

Private | PK-8

Living in San Antonio

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $110,900. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,010.

Posted August 19, 2014

Beware of the PreK 3 teacher! If your child is not quite, does not talk unless spoken to, listens all the time, ext... you will have problems with her. She loves to give out YELLOW & RED stamps in your child's folder, (please ignore her back handed comments and remember your child is 3 & 4 and they are most likely acting accordingly for their age) She likes to call for meetings and tell you everything your child does wrong, NEVER has this teacher said ANYTHING POSITIVE about my child .She will make comments which will leave you thinking... did she really just say that to me? Confusing cause my child is very loving. This is not just me, so many parents go through this with her. The principal will not side with you so dont even bother. Just ignore her comments and do not get upset with your child for anything she says. I'm not the only parent that feels this way, go to the B DAY parties, you will see when the first parent says (Sooo what do you think of) This is a GENUINE experience, there is nothing wrong with my child, the teacher is really inappropriate with her comments. Do not let her discourage you with her ridiculous expectations of 3 & 4 year olds.

Posted August 17, 2014

Can't believe another parent would say... My child needed help. This was my genuine experience with the PreK 3 teacher, as well as several other parents. I went to the birthday parties and would listen to the parents talk about their complaints & concerns. I also talked with a few moms from the year before my child, that approached me and shared their unpleasant experience with her. My child is very loving, sweet and just being a child. I could never understand where she was coming from. Even went to our pediatrician, he is the one who said (Her expectations were too high & she sounds like an old grouch) Coincidence how you respond the day after my review, sounds more like one of the heads of the school vs a real mother. like I said my child made it out of her class and is looking forward to PreK 4. Did I mention the school is not even accredited and really has nothing to offer. They will nickel and dime you all throughout the year with fundraisers, probably cause the tuition is so cheap.

Posted August 4, 2014

Both of my children have had the Pre-k 3 teacher at this school. We LOVE her!!!!! I have both types of kids. One that was quiet and one that was not. She is what I would call "real" with parents. She does not sugar coat things. Maybe the previous parent couldn't take the fact that their child needed help. This school is a wonderful place for children.

Posted July 24, 2014

Both of my children have attended NWHCS for a few years now, and we absolutely love it! I couldn't ask for a better loving and learning environment for my children, especially when Christ is made center of attention in everything. I am very happy with the superintendent and have never seen her as unapproachable by any means. In fact, she is a very sweet and understanding person. I have had nothing but positive experiences with all of the staff there and I have always been greeted with a smile! I have seen several improvements made to the school, which completely makes the school spirit nights and fundraisers seem worth it for my child. From my business experience, I understand how tuition fees are designed to keep a school operating and maintained. Without state funding, fundraisers are the only means for improvement, so I have no problem with them. Besides, the tuition is so low for the quality. Five different teachers have taught my kids and I have never had any issues with any of them. They were all certified with real teaching degrees, so I'm not sure about the previous comments on here. Please, judge for yourself and take a tour. I am so glad my husband and I did!

Posted June 19, 2014

Bullying is shoved under the rug. We felt Religion was pushed with mandatory high adventure field trips linked to religion. They do nickel and dime you with fundraisers (many fast food events.) The administration refuses to meet in person when conflict arises, minimizing problems and encouraging families to leave the school if you don t agree with their policies. I wished someone had warned me about this place and I had checked other schools. We lost an investment of time and money that we sacrificially made for what we thought was a better education for our child. Unfortunately, we had to learn the hard way that the school had bullies, clicks, uncertified teachers, and an administration not interested in our concerns. We were amazed that the public school we switched our child to is more advanced academically and tailors to our child needs. If you want small environment for your child check the charter or magnet schools in the area. They are free and open to the public, and if you don t like them, you don t lose your tuition money, so you can afford going on vacation or improve the quality of your life!

Posted February 4, 2013

My Nephew has attended this school since he was 3 yrs old. I also taught in the middle school for a semester. In addition, I VOLUNTEERED my time to coach the middle school basketball team for several years. I feel since the previous Director left, the current Director is more about the quantity than the quality. The classs I taught had 12 kids, my nephew's current class has 22. In addition, although the majority of the teachers have Degrees, they do not have their teacher certification. I am certified by the State of Texas to teach PE, Science, and Health. During my time as a public school teacher I was observed by my administrator 2 times per semester. I would be interested to know how often the middle school teachers at this school are observed. Two of the 3 teachers in the middle school are extremely disorganized and if you read the Bios on the NWHCS website you will notice they do not have a teaching background. They have a Degree, but they did not spend the hours observing classrooms that most education degrees require. I do agree the Abeka Curriculumn is a very good curriculumn and if taught currectly will give a child an advantage over a public school child.

Posted July 15, 2012

The pricipal is not able to handle conflict between staff or parents. A great kindergarten teacher was abruptly let go against her will becuase the principal could not or would not resolve the conflict. Two more kindergaten teachers quit or were fired that same years. The parents were very upset and confused by this. There is no appropriate chain of command when conflicts occurs. Also, some teacher are not certified and the school is still not accredited!!!

Posted March 19, 2012

The Pre-K program was great and cheaper than daycare. However the elementary curriculum is unorganized and inconsistent. Some classes are much more behind than others. They had 3 faculty members abruptly resign last month alone which caused classes to fall behind and tough transitions for young Kindergarten kids. When I followed the grievance policy for my questions/complaints, I was given the run around by the director & the pastor and was refused any further information. One told me the director and superintendent were the same person which I believe is a conflict of interest but couldn't get any clear answers. Tuition jumps annually however the education, resources, and organization is not improving and athletic programs are almost non-existent due to poor communication. If you get a good teacher that the director likes the class is great, if not, look forward to a bumpy year for all.

Posted January 6, 2012

This is our second year with the school and we have two children enrolled, one in Kinder and one in first grade. We have been very happy with the education they are receiving. They have been transitioning away from worksheets and incorporating more "center-based" learning. This has really helped my child in kindergarten excel. They are growing rapidly leading to difficulty with long pick-up/drop-off lines and limited parking at school events. Overall, it is a great school that is growing rapidly. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a quality Christian education.

Posted October 28, 2010

I would not recommend this school to anyone. I had to remove my child from this school due to emotional problems. My child is getting professional help now. Spend a little extra money to send your children to a Catholic school. I am not the only parent that has removed my child from this school. Good luck.

Posted June 24, 2010

Great school, great director, however a few of the teachers are not so friendly. The older "seasoned" teachers should retire. The school needs to keep up with the 21st century learner. They do give alot of worksheets!! Overall, it depends on which teacher your child gets. My daughter had a amazing kinder teacher!!! The teacher was creative, innovative and did so much for the kids and parents.

Posted March 2, 2010

We are very happy at Northwest Hills. So far, my daughter has had a wonderful experience in the Pre K-4 program. The Pre-k 4 teachers and staff (lunch, art, music, P.E.) are wonderful! The director responds well to feedback, and shows great initiative. I highly recommend if you are looking for a safe, Christian based, friendly, education environment. PS. I gave 4 stars because it seems to be highly worksheet based. I wish there was a bit more of creativity placed on the curriculum. But still a good program.

Posted February 27, 2010

Great school and great teachers! They have a new director this year and she's doing a great job. The school has really grown in the last few years. My boys started in PK3 and have been attending for the last 3 years. I have been very impressed. The school is more strict than public schools and the students have more homework, but I expected that and welcome it. Their athletic program is a great as well.

Posted January 30, 2010

Very caring faculty, they go above and beyond anything I have ever experienced. ABeka is not for the weak student!

Posted January 11, 2010

My daughter has attended this school since first grade and is now in eighth. My son from pre-k to now being in fifth. This was one of the best decisions for my children I ever made. They are far above their public school peers in academics. I know I am a public school fifth grade teacher. Most importantly they are respectful, kind, well round individuals. They are not growing up too fast as many do with such stong outside peer pressure. They go to school and they feel safe and I feel secure with their environment. The school has grown leaps and bounds these past couple of years due to happy kids and happy parents. It is almost 3 or 4 times larger than when we first started and getting bigger every year. You should visit for yourself and see.

Posted August 3, 2009

As a grandparent, I am very concerned for the education of my grandchildren. I have been absolutely satisfied with the academic, physical, and Christian environment provided by NWHS. I wish that all of my grandchildren were there. Although small, it's big on everything a child needs!

Posted July 23, 2009

Excellent. I too was so worried about my daughter entering pre-school. Her teacher was excellent. The staff is great. My daughter felt secure and supported in her learning environment. She learned sooo much. Yes, the standards are high here. But isn't that what we want for our children.

Posted May 15, 2009

My child has attended this school for 2 years and i must say so far we have liked it We really are happy with the christian environmnet. Yes they may be stricter than public school I should know I work for one for the past 9 years. I like what they teach and enforce respect for others. He seems to enjoy attending

Posted September 17, 2008

I just want to thank the teachers and staff for the great job they did preparing both my children to go on and excel at a college prep high school. All the grammar they learned has been a great help in high school. My children seem to do better in high school grammar than their friends who came from other San Antonio private schools. Thanks again for everything. NWH will always hold a special place in my family s heart.

Posted August 28, 2008

An awesome school with high standards, which is what you expect from a private school. Director, staff and teachers are caring and loving. Glad my children are attending a great school and learning in a Christian environment.

Asian or Pacific Islander 7% 4%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Baptist
Associations
  • ACSI
  • SBACS

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

8511 Heath Circle Dr