Posted May 16, 2015
We were looking for a Christian school but were not able to afford one of the big name schools in town. We found NWHCS and thought it was a great deal. As they say, you get what you pay for, we found this so true with our child! As long as you don't question anything Mrs. Donna Beaver does, as principal, you can stay in good standing. As soon as you question anything the school does, and you will, you find out what it means to have your children in an unaccredited school where academics are not reviewed or monitored. You also have little leverage, unless you are prominent, since you agreed to place your child in an unrecognized school. We should have paid more attention to the reviews. If you notice, the 4 and 5 star reviews are skewed around 2010, when the past principal was still in charge. We experienced lack of respect, self-serving attitude and no accountability of the administration. I would definitely recommend looking for an accredited school that offers financial aid to make up the difference in tuition Be sure to check on enrollment and staff turnover this summer before you make a definite decision.

Posted May 13, 2015
Instead of reading posts that are subjective or requested, look at it objectively. Do what many wish we had done before you make this investment. Find out why the school is not accredited. Will your children be caught up with schools that offer stronger curriculums and electives? Have they been awarded any school-related honors? Is financial aid or assistance offered and why not? Ask to see how much enrollment has decreased over the past few years. This is important. Data online may not be accurate. How much turn-over is there among the administration and staff members? Are current job openings and turn-over normal? I would then compare this information to other private schools. Are you allowed to sit in class without plenty of advance notice? Will your children be ready for middle or high school down the road? Do your research. Besides just reading experiences, we considered these things to help decide if it is a good fit for our children. We want a positive reinforcement school that has a reputation people have heard of as a "great school".

Posted May 06, 2015
I've been attending NWHCS for 10 years. From Pre-K to 8th grade. I am currently in 8th grade. Mrs. Damschen, my pre-k teacher, was the best first teacher i could ask for. Yes she was a little strict but she only did so to mold her students into great people. Mrs. Todd, my third grade teacher, was a very strict, but amazing teacher. She taught me responsibility. Mrs. Priest, my fourth grade teacher, was also very strict but she is a very sweet lady. All of these teachers are still working at the school and I am very glad. They are amazing teachers. They teach you things you will need later in life at a young age. Strict teachers are what your children need. If i didn't have strict teachers I wouldn't have honor roll every year and be attending a magnet school next year. My brother and sister also came to this school and absolutely loved it. They graduated with honors at their high school and are now attending college.

Posted April 30, 2015
My children (PreK - 3 to 1st grade) have been at NWHCS for 2 years now. The staff has always been nice and helpful. You enter the school and are overwhelmed with the love that everyone has for each other. My children have grown not only academically but spiritual. Anywhere you go there are issues, at least at NWHCS there is an open line of communication. Questions and concerns are address as soon as possible. If you're new to the area or are looking for a new school for your children, contact the school. Review pages are often used by individuals that have only negative things to say or underlying issues that they didn't speak up and have addressed.

Posted April 30, 2015
My child has been attending NWHCS for 2 years. My child has thrived in the schools high academic standards and the positive, loving, Christian environment. My child's teacher is so in tune with all of her students. There has been been communication with her all year and she has helped my child work thru his disability and thrive in school in all aspects. I get emails, notes, phone calls just letting me know how my child is doing daily/weekly. I wish I could say it more, but this school cares about the success of your child not only academically but socially as well. One review stated this school is too strict which is nonsense. NWHCS holds the kids to a high standard of excellence which as a parent you want your kids to thrive and succeed and this school provides that foundation. My child has been involved in every sport the school offers and the coaches have been so enthusiastic..teaching the kids not only the sport at hand but also such positive sportsmanship. My family is truly blessed to have found and be a part of the NWHCS family!

Posted January 24, 2015
Teachers are not certified and Administration is not properly trained. Please be aware that supervision is lacking and if your child gets physically hit by another this is to be reported to the police. This is the policy of public schools when a child is consciously physically injured by another, a policy not followed at this school.

Posted August 04, 2014
Both of my children have had the Pre-k 3 teacher at this school. We LOVE her!!!!! I have both types of kids. One that was quiet and one that was not. She is what I would call "real" with parents. She does not sugar coat things. Maybe the previous parent couldn't take the fact that their child needed help. This school is a wonderful place for children.

Posted July 24, 2014
Both of my children have attended NWHCS for a few years now, and we absolutely love it! I couldn't ask for a better loving and learning environment for my children, especially when Christ is made center of attention in everything. I am very happy with the superintendent and have never seen her as unapproachable by any means. In fact, she is a very sweet and understanding person. I have had nothing but positive experiences with all of the staff there and I have always been greeted with a smile! I have seen several improvements made to the school, which completely makes the school spirit nights and fundraisers seem worth it for my child. From my business experience, I understand how tuition fees are designed to keep a school operating and maintained. Without state funding, fundraisers are the only means for improvement, so I have no problem with them. Besides, the tuition is so low for the quality. Five different teachers have taught my kids and I have never had any issues with any of them. They were all certified with real teaching degrees, so I'm not sure about the previous comments on here. Please, judge for yourself and take a tour. I am so glad my husband and I did!

Posted June 19, 2014
Bullying is shoved under the rug. We felt Religion was pushed with mandatory high adventure field trips linked to religion. They do nickel and dime you with fundraisers (many fast food events.) The administration refuses to meet in person when conflict arises, minimizing problems and encouraging families to leave the school if you don t agree with their policies. I wished someone had warned me about this place and I had checked other schools. We lost an investment of time and money that we sacrificially made for what we thought was a better education for our child. Unfortunately, we had to learn the hard way that the school had bullies, clicks, uncertified teachers, and an administration not interested in our concerns. We were amazed that the public school we switched our child to is more advanced academically and tailors to our child needs. If you want small environment for your child check the charter or magnet schools in the area. They are free and open to the public, and if you don t like them, you don t lose your tuition money, so you can afford going on vacation or improve the quality of your life!

Northwest Hills Christian School 2

Posted February 04, 2013
My Nephew has attended this school since he was 3 yrs old. I also taught in the middle school for a semester. In addition, I VOLUNTEERED my time to coach the middle school basketball team for several years. I feel since the previous Director left, the current Director is more about the quantity than the quality. The classs I taught had 12 kids, my nephew's current class has 22. In addition, although the majority of the teachers have Degrees, they do not have their teacher certification. I am certified by the State of Texas to teach PE, Science, and Health. During my time as a public school teacher I was observed by my administrator 2 times per semester. I would be interested to know how often the middle school teachers at this school are observed. Two of the 3 teachers in the middle school are extremely disorganized and if you read the Bios on the NWHCS website you will notice they do not have a teaching background. They have a Degree, but they did not spend the hours observing classrooms that most education degrees require. I do agree the Abeka Curriculumn is a very good curriculumn and if taught currectly will give a child an advantage over a public school child.

Northwest Hills Christian School
8511 Heath Circle Dr, San Antonio, TX  78250
Last modified Northwest Hills Christian School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
Northwest Hills Christian School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 34 reviews. Top