Teacher effectiveness: Ineffective

Posted June 03, 2015
There are some good teachers but they rarely stay throughout the year or after one year.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted June 03, 2015
Many parents complain that there are too major projects that involve too much parental involvement with little instruction or communication.

Develops grit: Strongly disagree

Posted June 03, 2015
The school runs on a negative reinforcement policy that invokes fear in the children instead of a rewarding and positive system.

Develops respect: Disagree

Posted June 03, 2015
There are some teachers that do but the school as a whole does not and is demonstrated by their high turn-over rates and job openings.

Develops empathy: Strongly disagree

Posted June 03, 2015
The administration backs the teachers no matter what and there is not a governing body that reviews or oversees the school if parents have an incident or grievance due to it being unaccredited.

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted June 03, 2015
The school is struggling to maintain enough students to continue because many parents have had bad experiences and because the school is not accredited, their is no recourse. The principal is on the school board that oversees her actions and this alone is not fair or represents integrity. Many parents have enrolled their children for next year but are withdrawing them even at the cost of losing their registration and book fees.

Northwest Hills Christian School 5

Posted June 01, 2015
I hope parents understand that any christian school disciplines different then a public school. They discipline with talking through the problem and by prayer. I have personally seen this work with my own child who was hurt by another child, I was immediately alerted to what happened, the vice principal spoke to my child and made sure he was ok and explained that it's not ok but sometimes these things happen and the other child was spoken to and apologized. The problem starts with us parents, to jump and say "call the police", these are children, they have to learn how to handle situations and learn how to deal with all matters. Spanking and jail or court doesn't fix anything it only puts a bandaid on an issue that is in the heart. And to say "they push religious field trips", you put your child in a "Christian School" you signed papers telling you that your child would be taught religion, this is a bible based school. The problem is within the home NOT THE SCHOOL. To many issues arrived when our GOD was pulled out of Public schools.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted June 01, 2015
To a comment about teachers not being certified: EVERY teacher at NWHCS has #1 GOD & high experiance and no teacher is working there without a college degree and certified, if they are not certified they are currently enrolled to do so. But I personally know that you can not teach there unless you have a college degree and training in numerous educational classes, cpr, first aid, fbi check and this school makes sure the teachers are going to classes all the time for higher education. In public schools anyone can substitute your child at ALLLLL SA schools, no degree, no classes, no ged, just a background check. At NWHCS to even substitute you HAVE TO HAVE a degree and your child is never left alone to a parent that stopped by, or someone random, even if the teacher just runs to the bathroom someone from the office or another teacher has to watch the class. Having a smaller school, your child is constantly supervised PERIOD. This school allows no room for error in that department. They do a buddy system on bathroom/water breaks, office visits etc. The teacher does not have a high ratio, they take safety extremely high. You cannot walk past the office unless you signed in a computer with the office and wear a badge. The entire office watches every door/hallway of that school, and trust me the principal watches all for safety of our kids. The relationships built at this school are for a LIFETIME.

Northwest Hills Christian School 4

Posted June 01, 2015
My child has gone here many years and has succeeded IMMENSLY. I agree there may have been some things I didn't agree with "until" I learned to just ask. Then I would see the other perspective. When our child is in a Christian school they will be challenged and pushed to succeed because everything they are taught is ABOVE ALL public schools in SA. The 1st graders here are reading at a 3rd grade level when they finish the year, they can read write cursive better than most of us parents at the end of 1st grade. Our public schools do not even teach cursive anymore. They are doing school work while at school because it's school not daycare. I hear a lot of people complain that they don't get enough "free play", if our children are going to succeed then they have to learn to be pushed now and not when its to late. Our society is Lazy and has expectations of "give me". Our children are being taught to work hard for the reward. I have personally spoken to high school children in private who tell me they see parents put a child from public school in private and they don't last because they are not used to the amount of work and being pushed to Excellence and they end up leaving. This school will not tolerate anything but "yes/no mam" "please/thank you and much more that I don't see at our public schools. Violence does not happen, in all the years here never have I heard of a fight and I know many teachers. Try to understand you may not agree with the superintendent but she is on your child's side and only wants the best. As far as the "high turn over" please know that a teacher got ill and passed away, another had a husband that was in military and got stationed somewhere else, and another left due to same reason. The teachers leave not by choice but because our Lord is leading them into different paths. The ones who are still there are truly AMAZING. And also to give notice on going into the classroom is only respect to the teacher and what there plans are and it does disrupt the class, but of course as a parent you can go if you want. It's a matter of respect, just think how they have to get your child's full attention and gain the trust in order to really capture all the teachings. This school is a wonderful school, remember nothing is perfect, only our GOD is.

Develops respect: Strongly agree

Posted May 28, 2015
My nephew was going to a public school in the same grade and was told that the goal was for the child to do as told by the 3rd time he was instructed to complete a task. Unsolicited, my son's teacher offered that a child in the same class/grade level should be able to comply at first request. My child has been treated with resspect and compassion, but it has also been instilled in and expected of him. As a parent, I realize it takes a village and I love having this staff in my village.

8511 Heath Circle Dr, San Antonio, TX  78250
Last modified Northwest Hills Christian School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
Northwest Hills Christian School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 54 reviews. Top