No rating

Shepherd Of The Hills Lutheran School

Private | PK-8

Living in San Antonio

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $127,400. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $750.

Posted December 15, 2009

This school has done wonder for my children! The small class sizes and caring teachers are so refreshing. I also use the daycare and feel much better about working full time knowing my children are in safe and loving hands. Thank you SHLS!

Posted December 15, 2009

I am a teacher here and have been for over 8 years. I love this school. I am not sure if many people know this but we get paid a lot less than the average public school teacher. All of the teachers make a sacrifice to teach here. Why do we do this? Because we truly do care for the children. We love this job and are not here for a paycheck. I think that says a lot. We could not make it without our wonderful administration. They truly care for us and for the children at our school. We work hard to make sure that our children feel safe and loved. I have considered going public but I just feel that this is too wonderful a place to be and I wouldn't want my own children anywhere else.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted December 12, 2009

SHLS is terrific place to be a teacher or a student! The love of God is shared around the clock.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted November 12, 2009

Our daughter started at Shepherd this year. We have had a wonderful experience - her teacher is amazing! Our daughter's self-esteem keeps growing and she is becoming more confident in her schoolwork.

Posted November 11, 2009

I have two children in the school one since Kindergarten and the other since the 2 year old program. I could not be any more pleased with Shepherd. The teachers are excellent as is the administration. I was impressed with the number of teachers with masters degrees and all are certified teachers. Of the schools I've looked at, the tuition charged compared to the credentials of the teachers makes the school an exceptional value. Chapel services are engaging to all, there's even a little-tykes chapel on Thursdays. Homework is relevant and challenging. Teachers hold high expectations and clearly love teaching kids. Very Christ-like in every way. I would not dream of sending my children anywhere else. My daughter has been pulled out for enrichment programs from time to time to receive more challenging work. Kudos!

Posted November 10, 2009

Both of my boys attend SHLS for k5 thru 8th grade. It is a wonderful school we felt like a family. In addition to a great Christian education they both were very prepared for High School. My oldest has been named a National Merit Commended Scholar and I credit the teachers at SHLS with helping him to achieve this honor.

Posted January 6, 2009

Our daughter graduated in 2008 and only went to middle school. Positives: mostly nurturing teachers, high quality friends. New students were accepted into some circle of friends. Everyone has recess before school! Unstructured play helps reduce behavioral issues. Testing is on national level, not standardized. It was so refreshing to not see TAKS testing tips in textbooks! And the curriculum exceeds the TEKS standards. Negatives: Homework is necessary, but it was overkill, required even over weekends and holiday breaks. However, this prepared her for high school pre-AP classes. Writing must be in blue or black pen, and in cursive or the answers are wrong. She complained that some boys used bad language that the teachers didn't notice. Delinquents are removed eventually. We wish we sent our other child here instead of Pat Neff!

Posted August 27, 2008

My child did not enter the school until after 3rd grade and was never quite looked at as the students there from Kinder. The issues with conduct or swearing by students was not directed because 'We are trying to reach everyone.' There are some outstanding teachers that love the kids. My child now in high school is in AP classes with As and Bs but could not meet the perfections standards at SHLS to dot the I and cross the t at the right angle. I so wish they could have looked at the whole child and not put the letter of the law as number one priority.

Posted June 17, 2008

My child has now graduated from SHLS. Quality of education good. However, during the nine years of attendance at this school they were filled with harrassment and bullying. The administration had been notified and the harrassment was never addressed or squelched. Based on that I feel the administration is weak and you must really make a big scene for them to even take notice of the situation. They will not act unitl you force the issue.

Posted April 18, 2008

I have read some of the reviews on here and feel compelled to ask a question, Does it seem as though some of the negative comments were written by the same parent? Do the readers a favor and keep your postings limited to one review. My family loves this school. Strong Christian environment, great curriculum and faculty. I give this school two thumbs up. As far as the principal is concerned, Mrs. Gary is a caring and kind person. Maybe the reviews that state otherwise were written by busy body parents who don't have enough to do?

Posted April 16, 2008

My son, an eight grader is completing his second and final year at SHLS and we cannot be more pleased with the education and the caring environment the teachers, staff and students have provided. His one year as a sixth grader in SSAISD was troubling to say the least so we were extremely pleased to enroll him at SHLS. Although the commute is difficult, we have never regretted our decision. I was especially impressed by the welcome he received as a new student last year. He reports that discipline in the classrooms is not a problem. An adequate amount of homework is always required and the teachers are always accessible and full of optimism and joy. High praise for this school. I just wish the school could continue through the 12th grade but I realize the space is limited.

Posted February 21, 2008

I am very disappointed. My young child was bullied by a middle school kid. The school knew prior to enrolling this child that he has problems but that it not keep the school from enrolling the child. It is all about tuition, student #'s, and not the christ-like environment. Principal had no response-like usual. A new strong caring principal would do that school a whirl of good.

Posted January 20, 2008

We have been very happy at Shepherd. We have several children here and agree it is a nurturing, Christian environment. We're military and have experienced a wide variety of school settings. Shepherd impresses us from the principal on down to the families we have met here. We looked at several private schools when we moved here and Shepherd was the natural choice for us. The teachers are well-qualified, committed and caring. The principal is very professional, compassionate, and a strong Christian. Perhaps we have been fortunate but we have never had difficulty in contacting her. All our kids' teachers maintain good communication with us. Whenever we have had a question or concern the teachers have been patient, polite and helpful. My middle schooler reports prayer and christian values/discussions stressed in her classes. All the kids are encouraged to behave in a Christ-like way. Our kids, and we, are very happy.

Posted January 8, 2008

The school has been a hugh disappointment. The principal is rarely on campus or accessible to the parents. There is profanity spoken by students that goes untouched. Not a Christian environment! Teachers are are wits-end and they still have a semester to finish up. Not recommended if you are looking for christian values to be taught to your child.

Posted September 17, 2007

The teachers are very loving. Everything revolves around God which is great. The tuition does keep raising every year though. This is my sons third year there and it was raised again. Also, the lunch price keeps going up every year. They also don't offer multiple child discount unless you have more than one child in kindergarten or up. So if you have one in 2nd grade and one in 4k you will not get a discount.

Posted June 6, 2007

Great teachers and a strong Christian based curriculum. I have several children there and all have had teachers whom I felt really cared about them and their success. Adequate sports program that is not extremely competitive. Therefore, all kids get playing time, unlike public school. My kids will continue to attend this school!

Posted July 16, 2006

Teachers seem stressed. Good curriculum, but if your child needs special attention on a subject, accomodations lacking. Principal was inaccessible. My attempts to contact her were ignored.

Posted June 28, 2006

Teachers are extremely loving,and caring, but a bit overworked. The classes are very large, the same as public schools. The tutition and registration raises every year but they never add any teachers. They have one of the highest registration fees of all the private school comparable in their class. They do not have a full time special education teacher, only part-time and she is stretched to her limits so it is hard for your child to get help if he has special needs. The don't have many extracurrical activites. They also do not wear uniforms which makes the appearance of the school a bit sloppy. The Chapel and the children's pastor is the bomb and the kids love him, other than that the school gets a C rating.

Posted November 4, 2005

What a great Christian school! My son is in their 3K class and we could not have put him in a better program. The curriculum is outstanding and the staff is wonderful!

Asian or Pacific Islander 2% 4%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Lutheran church - missouri synod
Associations
  • NAEYC
Fax number
  • (210) 692-7554

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

6914 Wurzbach Road