PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

Effective school leaders: Disagree

The principal touts her availability to parents, which is great, but she chooses to leave it at just lip service with no action. The early childhood director is wonderful & responsive! In the end, I guess it is bipolar leadership.

Develops character: Agree

It is hard to say because my children get that at home. I know they have it, and I presume some comes from the school. The early childhood teachers definitely model compassion and respect, so I believe they get it there.

Three stars overall, but **five** for the childcare! We love the childcare program and the teachers--they are absolutely the best in San Antonio. I have concerns that as my children grow the elementary and junior high programs are not as caring (1-2 stars there). The principal does not appear to value concerns that are brought to her. She gives canned responses rather than honoring requests. Also, this past summer, I witnessed a teacher of an apparent elementary-aged child belittle the girl--the girls was crying and said "I want my mommy," to which the teacher replied "Well, I want my mommy too" as she marched the girl through the cafeteria. How is that kind and caring?

Handles bullying effectively: Neutral

I'm not sure that they deal any better with it than elsewhere. I've noticed children bothering others, and while mine stand up for themselves, I'm not sure that all do. It's not Disneyland, but I'm sure it could be worse.

awesome school, they all know your kids and truly care for them all. Great place to be

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

They love the children and want to be there. They are always smiling and know all the children.

Amount of homework: Agree

When they are at school they learn so there is little to no teaching for the parents to do.

Develops character: Strongly agree

This is a positive, loving and spiritual school. Our three children get up so easily for school in the mornings and feel accepted and have more friends than they could have dreamed of at their past Christian School. Shepherd offers so many great subjects, electives, competitive sports, events and fun family activities. The curriculums are top notch and the teachers love being there and love your children. This is demonstrated by the lack of staff and student turnover. We prayed and prayed for a school like this where we knew our children were safe, happy and learning good morals, academics and about God. This was an answer to our prayers and we love how they have handled any normal student conflict, which is extremely rare. There is a reason this accredited, blue ribbon school has existed so long and will continue to grow and thrive. We thank God for leading us to Shepherd and helping us instill the Christian values we have at home and keeping our children young and faithful. If you take a tour or shadow, attend a chapel, or a Sunday sermon, your decision will be made!

After reading all the reviews and having a child enrolled at SHLS. I have to agree with most of them, both good and bad. I have seen behavior problems go uncorrected. I have noticed some bullying. A few students are kind of rough. But overall most are not. I also have to agree that a couple of times my child was the victim of a bully and I wasn't notified. But that same day received a note about handwriting. The teachers & administration do really care. They try very hard. But as a past reviewer stated, they do over pressure small details and fail to see bigger issues or the "whole" child. Bottom line is its a good school with a staff that does care. A child could do well there, but be prepared to advocate for them.

Last modified Shepherd Of The Hills Lutheran School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8