San Antonio, TX

Posted March 26, 2014
Our son came to Winston from a top ranked public school system not equipped to educate children who do not "fit the mold". He went from endless nights of stress and homework to lettering in 3 areas and volunteering over 100 hours in less than a year. The caring teachers and administration at Winston have given him the tools to continue on to college and be successful in life. They fostered his interests (which in his case is not sports) and encouraged him to try new challenges on a daily basis. There are so many opportunities available for so many different interests that it is almost overwhelming. I would also offer that the cost of the education provided is minuscule compared to the value of what is given. It has truly changes our family's life., and for that I would simply to say Thank You!

Posted October 12, 2013
I've debated a while about posting thoughts here - for what it's worth, here it goes. My husband & I, both teachers, had very high expectations/enthusiasm about the education and support Winston could provide our son - based on research we'd done into program/curriculum, staff backgrounds, etc... What we didn't anticipate was to hear our son was beyond the "scope of support" they could provide... ie: HF Autism. His previous school records clearly showed no evidence of academic mods needed, passed regular STAAR test, never a behavior issue. We also enrolled him in W summer school (good chance for observation) - he did great. In the end - denied admission based on needs beyond staff capability? We did not understand - but OK. He's currently enrolled at a charter school down the street. Holding his own with a very rigorous curriculum including Physics, Chem, Bio, Algebra, Latin, Eng, World Hist, etc... Wonderful teacher feedback & communication from passionate teachers working hard to see EVERY student succeed. Everything happens for a reason - we are now at a school that truly "advocates for minds that learn differently". Sad w/experience at Winston, but happy for our son.

Posted June 17, 2013
My school is Winston School San Antonio. I'm just sayin that I love this school!

Posted October 05, 2012
This is for the 2nd review. My younger son had the same problem as review #1, so I enrolled him at WSSA. My 6th grader, however, did not have any learning problems but I felt it would be easier if both of my sons went to the same school. He loves it. The teacher/student ratio is what won me over. Observing the student body, I have noticed most of the students are your everyday ordinary kids. I think most of the parents who want that small classroom atmosphere, send their kids to this school.

Posted September 03, 2012
This school is great. My son was diagnosed with ADHD and dyslexia and had a hard time in 1st grade in the public school system. I enrolled him at the Winston school in the 2nd grade and it was like night and day. He was excited about going to school, because there were other kids like him. He no longer felt alone in his learning differences and they understand him. His self-esteem and his level of understanding the work is now on track. The classroom sizes are small (5-10) kids have also made a difference. These are the most important years of a kids education.

Posted June 20, 2012
I am a new family with a 7 1?2 yr old needing to start second grade 2012-2013 session in san antonio,tx i came acroos the winston school and really liked there philosphy.My child however does not have a learning disability.I am curious to know if the small class sizes would benefit her anyways. my question would be are there other kids at this school without learning differences ????

Posted May 15, 2012
Enrolling our son at Winston has been the best decision our family has made. Unlike our public school experience, Winston has focused on and nurtured his individual talents and needs. As an upcoming Senior and student at Winston for over 4 years, he has developed confidence and skills that will carry him throughout college and his career. Winston is focused on each student's individuality and provides them with opportunities for success. Winston has become a part of our family, and will continue to be for years to come. It is a great feeling to know that we've provided the best education and learning environment for our son, and to be assured that he will lead a happy and productive future because of his experiences at Winston.

Posted April 26, 2011
I think the last poster needs to learn how to apply for tuition assistance like the rest of the Winston Parents do. I moved over 4000 miles to place my daughter in this school because she has ADHD and can not be in public schools because of it. She is by no means a gifted athlete but then again at this school, they all make the team and they all play.( this isn't public school where you have to make the cut!) Is it expensive? Yes, but then again, my daughter went from almost failing and being kicked out of classrooms to being a year ahead of her public school cousins and always gets A's and B's on the report cards. Maybe the last poster needs the education!

Posted February 15, 2011
I would be very cautious enrolling your child in Winston. Especially if you are not wealthy. It is all about money and politics...if your child is not a star athlete or if you are not rich ...AND your child has severe disabilites such as ADHD this is NOT the place for him. I am actually in the process of having this school investigated. Just be aware that they do NOT have the children as a priority...it is MONEY.

Posted July 28, 2009

The Winston School San Antonio
8565 Ewing Halsell Drive, San Antonio, TX  78229
Last modified The Winston School San Antonio is a Private school that serves grades 7-12
The Winston School San Antonio Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 15 reviews. Top