7-12|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

Provides a positive learning environment that allowed students with different learning styles to thrive in a nurturing academic environment.

My son started at Winston as a bright child who had been beaten down by an imperfect public school system. Despite his obvious intelligence, he was not thriving in an academic environment where 24 students to a class is the norm. Winston has provided him with an intimate setting that nurtures his abilities and champions his successes. His confidence in himself has grown exponentially through the support and encouragement of a gifted team of educators who actually get to know each student and can take the time needed to ensure that needs are met so that challenges then can be met and overcome.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

They area seasoned, exceptionally qualified teachers for kids with a variety of Learning differences with theabilityto teach for all the differences. My Son now ranks outside teachers/tutors or coaches on their teaching abilities and if he gets one that teaches "like they do at Winston" he knows he is in great hands. The Winston teachers are Kind, caring, compassionate, patient and gifted teachers who will know your child to the depth that only a parent would - never before have we experienced this from a school environment - it's outstanding what they provide to their students.

Amount of homework: Agree

Homework is no longer a 3-4 hour battleground since joining Winston. My son is now able to pursue his own interests which were all on hold during term time in prior schools because he was unable to do both and school came first.. His interests are often academic growth and pursued after school with teachers. He chooses to do additional academics now rather than being stuck with hours of tedious repetitions from homework.

I am a parent of The Winston School of San Antonio, which is a school of excellence almost beyond words. My eldest son (14) has ADHD and CAPD and will say, with great relief "mom, I don't know what I would have done if you hadn't found Winston for me". He has gone from starting to fail at middle school, to thriving beyond our wildest imaginations for him. He is strong in STEM with a serious curiosity and love of all things electric, lighting, mechanical, computing or robotic. After a short time at school he had confidence to sign up to the Robotics club and the soccer club (he has NEVER attended an after school event before Winston). He has this zest for learning that is remarkable and something we haven't seen in him since pre-school. He also plays on the school soccer team and had a great time with lots of practices and games. At Middle School, Dr Karulak assists with the soccer team and it is amazing to see him with the kids. He instinctively knows what each kid needs, whether it is a high-5, a hug or arm slung around the shoulder and a quiet word. The exceptional nature of the staff here, starts right with him. My son cannot wait to start football in High School next school year. My son was always bright, looked to be underperforming in school and struggled with nightly homework. The change in him is beyond words and the gratitude I feel to the Winston School and the way they have worked with not only my son, but my entire family tells you so much about the warmth, dedication and experience of these seasoned teachers. If you have a bright child with a learning difference or suspected learning differences, I recommend The Winston School of San Antonio. My experience is: that after my son had time to heal from prior school experiences and with the positive, nurturing, all encompassing teaching styles - that he has grown fast academically not only to his strengths, but also building his confidence and abilities in the areas that are hard for him such as reading and writing. After being at Winston for less than a yr he takes genuine pride in his academics and achievements, something that is new for us and pours over into all aspects of his life. He is thriving.

Develops character: Disagree

Students frequently bully other students, teachers openly gossip with other students about student and faculty.

Amount of homework: Disagree

Hardly anything is taught in most classes, you can imagine the homework situation. This is a horrible place to learn.

Our son came to Winston from a top ranked public school system not equipped to educate children who do not "fit the mold". He went from endless nights of stress and homework to lettering in 3 areas and volunteering over 100 hours in less than a year. The caring teachers and administration at Winston have given him the tools to continue on to college and be successful in life. They fostered his interests (which in his case is not sports) and encouraged him to try new challenges on a daily basis. There are so many opportunities available for so many different interests that it is almost overwhelming. I would also offer that the cost of the education provided is minuscule compared to the value of what is given. It has truly changes our family's life., and for that I would simply to say Thank You!

I've debated a while about posting thoughts here - for what it's worth, here it goes. My husband & I, both teachers, had very high expectations/enthusiasm about the education and support Winston could provide our son - based on research we'd done into program/curriculum, staff backgrounds, etc... What we didn't anticipate was to hear our son was beyond the "scope of support" they could provide... ie: HF Autism. His previous school records clearly showed no evidence of academic mods needed, passed regular STAAR test, never a behavior issue. We also enrolled him in W summer school (good chance for observation) - he did great. In the end - denied admission based on needs beyond staff capability? We did not understand - but OK. He's currently enrolled at a charter school down the street. Holding his own with a very rigorous curriculum including Physics, Chem, Bio, Algebra, Latin, Eng, World Hist, etc... Wonderful teacher feedback & communication from passionate teachers working hard to see EVERY student succeed. Everything happens for a reason - we are now at a school that truly "advocates for minds that learn differently". Sad w/experience at Winston, but happy for our son.

My school is Winston School San Antonio. I'm just sayin that I love this school!

Last modified The Winston School San Antonio is a Private school that serves grades 7-12