No rating

Castle Hills First Baptist School

Private | PK-12 | 424 students

Our school is best known for the college prep curriculum and Bible teaching.

Living in San Antonio

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $100,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $690.

Posted February 7, 2011

Our family has been at the school for 8 years. We have had a daughter graduate and attend college. She was well prepared for her college courses and is doing great in college. We have two children still at CHFBS and we are very happy with the challenging curriculum, the Bible teaching, and the elective and sports options available. There is a warm and friendly family environment every time I walk in the door and the students enjoy spending time at the school. The teachers spend time getting to know the students and are faithful in teaching them their identity in Christ. This is an amazing school and we look forward to seeing our other two children graduate from Castle Hills.

Posted February 7, 2011

I have had one of my children at CHFBS for five yers. I have found a very caring, loving, CHRIST centered faculity and staff. They are very supportive and communicate well. You know that your child will be educated and exposed to only positive influences while being nutured in Christian values.

Posted February 7, 2011

My oldest son first attended CHFBC preschool and has been at CHFBS from Kinder and is now in second grade. The love that the teachers have for the students, for learning, and for God makes the school a fantastic place. My son is a high achiever and has been kept challenged and stimulated in all areas of study. Sometimes he is ahead of the class and then the teachers slightly modify the assignment to be more challenging. My youngest son is moving from the preschool to Kinder in 2011 and we are so excited to have him start in this great school. The new superintendant is fantastic and has great vision of where God wants him to take the school.

Posted February 7, 2011

We love this school! This school is the best choice for our family. Our children are getting first class education plus an excellent spiritual foundation that correlates to the spiritual foundation at our home. This school builds character with leadership. The administrators and teachers are dedicated and first rate and the athletic department is superior!

Posted February 7, 2011

I am so proud of the beautiful job they are doing by instilling the three R's and the love of the Word of God. I am blown away by the charisma and ideas that our brand new superintendent has for evolving CHFBS into one that abundantly exceeds my expectations. Mr. Pinkston has a vision for GREATNESS! He is so passionate and inspiring. I am thrilled about what CHFBS currently is, yet I cannot wait to see what is to come! I am a public school science teacher, have taught at some of the "best" public high schools in town, and know what programs are available. I also know the dangers that lurk around every corner for the hearts, minds and bodies of my students. However, what CHFBS has to offer in Spiritual education and protection is eternally priceless, beyond the rigor of academia. My daughter HATES to EVER miss school. She is treated with love by her teachers and has excelled in everything she does. She can read almost anything and is only at the beginning of her Spring sem. of 1st grade. She s taught about honor, character, kindness, obedience, attentiveness, initiative, etc. She has a breadth and understanding of the love of God that most adults I know do not.

Posted November 4, 2010

I attended Castle Hills Fist Baptist School from Kinder garden all the way to my Senior year back in 2007. I had the choice in going to other schools but I really liked Castle Hills and I loved the education and care that the staff gave me and my fellow peers. I have Dyslexia and Castle Hills helped me over come my condition. I m now finishing up my Senior year in college and doing a part time Marketing internship on the side. If it were not for my roots I would not be so fortunate, Castle Hills gave me a lot and the least I could do is write this brief review.

Posted November 5, 2009

I attended Castle Hills First Baptist School from the time I was around 18 months old until my freshman year of high school. Although I would agree that the spiritual aspects of the school are enriching, the overall control of the student body is more than a little chaotic. With staff constantly changing from year to year and very inexperienced teachers, this school seems unstable to say the least. Many classes are taught by teachers that either do not seem to have a passion for teaching or simply do not have an extensive background in education. I would recommend CHS for it's elementary school program because it does to lay the solid Christian foundation desired from a private Christian school.
—Submitted by a student

Posted June 15, 2009

During our first year here, my daughter was in 1st grade and we have seen her grow into a confident, happy and excited to learn little girl. This was after a disappointing experience the previous year at a Catholic School where she attended Kindergarten. New to San Antonio coming from Dallas, I picked CHFBS because I knew that if my daughter first built a solid Christian foundation of principles then the right wisdom of knowledge would follow. I immediately felt she would get that in my interview with the Administrative staff who welcomed us with open arms knowing we were always going to have a watchful eyes on the school. The administrative staff is great because they are truly an example of what the school's vision is for the children.

Posted March 24, 2009

Great School. Right on target with teaching a biblical worldview. Teachers love the kids. Great preparation for college!

Posted February 10, 2009

This school lacks life skills. I have a son in middle school and he comes home every night with more homework than my daughter who is in HIGH SCHOOL!

Posted January 1, 2009

The best school for a christian family.

Posted December 20, 2008

Horrible school. If you graduate and can get into a decent college, you won't be able to follow the curriculum because the CHFBC curriculum hasn't prepared you for the real world of math or science, nor even history or social studies. You probably won't get into college anyways, because the curriuculum is so lacking. Doesn't anyone out there care that our students aren't even getting a BASIC education in anything at this school? No wonder we can't compete in the modern world, if math and social studies isn't being taught.

Posted May 2, 2008

1. High turnover of teachers. 2. Teachers unable to control their classrooms. 3. Inexperienced teachers. 4. Poor communication between administration/teachers and parents. 5. Unfriendly teachers.

Posted October 23, 2007

I am an alumni of CHFBC and Concordia University graduate. I can say that the faculty are the most caring educators! I would strongly encourage parents who are deciding on a good moral foundation for their children is to enroll them into Caste Hills First Baptist. CHFBC instilled in me a sense of moral value and a desire for success!

Posted May 7, 2007

As a recent student of Castle Hills and just finishing my first year of Baylor University. Castle Hills taught me great social skills and a great spiritual foundation. I have great morals thanks to CHS but academics could improve and there is few athletics.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted May 4, 2007

This was my daughter's first year at CHFBS. The small student to teacher ratio has given her the opportunity to have the positive attention that she needs. The school has a very loving and nurturing environment. I feel that my child is getting a strong biblical and educational foundation. Parent/Teacher communication has been excellent this year. Even in Kindergarten the students are exposed to so much! They have Spanish, computer classes, as well as music twice a week. She will be returning in the fall.

Posted February 18, 2007

Our academic programs are still lacking, NHS has fallen through and has yet to recover. We are still lacking in a football team, baseball team, and our soccer team may soon disappear. High school parents rarely attend school functions or school prayer meetings. Fortunately, this is not the case with our elementary parents. Though these comments may seem grim, we must remember that things could quickly change for the best if our management improves.
—Submitted by a student

Posted November 6, 2006

My personal view is that of a student, who sees many areas, which are in desperate need of improvement.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted September 19, 2006

This is by far the best school I know of to send children of Christian families. The faculty is supurb.They are an extremely loving and dedicated group of Christians that treat each child as an individual responsibility. Those that have children of their own send them here. I can hardly get over how much love and respect the children have for each other. I am proud that we are a part of this school.

Posted January 27, 2006

K-4 is wonderful program. It's a perfect mix of strong academics and preschool-appropriate fun.

Asian or Pacific Islander 4% 4%

College readiness and student pathways

Students typically attend these schools prior to attending this school Christian PreSchool
Other Christian Schools
Public Schools
Percentage of students going to 2-year college 13% (2013)
Percentage of students going to 4-year college 87% (2013)
Percentage of students going to the military 0% (2013)
Percentage of students going to vocational programs 0% (2013)
Percentage of students going directly into the workforce 0% (2013)
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Nurse(s)
Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
Security personnel
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

• Specific learning disabilities
  • Speech and language impairments
  • Special education coordinator
  • Special olympics

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • Computer lab
  • Science lab
  • Robotics club

Arts & music

• Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

• PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

School start time
  • 7:55 am
School end time
  • 3:20 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Michael Pinkston
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 2 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation

• Advanced placement courses
  • College prep
  • Gifted / high performing
  • Honors track
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered
Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Specific learning disabilities
  • Speech and language impairments
Foreign languages taught
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered
Vocational or skills-based training offered

• Art teacher(s)
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Learning lab
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

• Drama
  • Improv
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Community service

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Athletic Booster Club
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom