Public charter
San Antonio, TX

Higgs Carter King Gifted & Talente 2

Posted December 12, 2013
The teachers are the best part of this school. The reading program is off the charts but what brings the rating down to a 2 star is the dirty building and portables. The school would be the best in this city if it was a lot more organized and if they cared about the environment that the students and teachers have to study in. There is also no library, most teachers carry school books in old milk crates. The administrators seem to have very little concern about the smelly, backed up restrooms and rat infested portables. My students teacher should not have to clean up rat droppings then interact with the students.

Posted August 10, 2013
If you value your child, their education, and their future, Do Not Send Your Child To This School!!!!

Posted June 15, 2011
This school has a great motto 'doing whatever it takes' with no follow through. The principle is highly unprofessional and difficult to talk to when looking for answers. There is no support with discipline, there is no support for children with special needs, and in general there is no supprt for a decent education. My child was in a classroom that was too small in a building that was falling apart and moldy with no resources to learn. A terrible school all around...except possibly the teachers who work hard in such an environment.

Posted May 09, 2011
While attending graduate school, I had plenty of time to decide what type of school I wanted to be associated with. I knew it had to be a school that cared about their students, I knew it had to be a school where I was able to be a bit creative in my teaching, (so that my students could soar!) and, I also knew I had to be in a place where everyone worked as a team; being on one accord...main focus were the students. When Mrs. Yarbrough interviewed me I knew HCK was it! We are an accelerated school that uses the 5 Components of Powerful Learning (Authentic, Interactive, Learner-Centered, Inclusive, and Continuous). We make learning fun and meaningful to our students. Prior to school starting we have a meet and greet night where I introduce myself and let parents know what their child will be capable of doing by the end of the school year; I heard a parent say "yea right". Well within 3 months that very parent came to me and apologizes; he said they could not believe the type of things their child was learning, and astounded at how smart their child truly was! This was a confirmation of skills I learned at HCK; thank you Mrs. Yarbrough for giving me an opportunity to teach!

Posted May 07, 2011
We have incredible teachers, incredible parents and the brightest students around. We consistently win awards each year for our teaching and the student's achievements. HCK is a school full of caring teachers and staff that put their hearts into every minute of teaching.This is a wonderful school with caring teachers who are willing to do what it takes for our children to become the leaders of tomorrow.

Posted May 06, 2011
I am a certified teacher, and this is my second year teaching at Higgs, Carter, King. I was told before I was hired, that it is not an easy job. I was also told that Higgs, Carter King does 'whatever it takes' to ensure the success of each student. This is all true. Higgs Carter King embodies my belief that no child is in a 'box' and we, as teachers, must find each child's learning style. It is not easy to do, however, it is extremely satisfying to reach each child and see him or her learn to the high expectations we have for our students. I love it here. I beleive that if parents wish for a great education for their children, Higgs Carter King is the place to find it!!!

Posted May 05, 2011
I'm a certified teacher who has been working at HCK for a few years now, and I can honestly say I love my job. We are an accelerated school that teaches at your child's level. If your child is a 3rd grader and comes to HCK reading at a Kindergarten level, we will do whatever it takes to help your child be proficient. If your child is a 3rd grader and comes to HCK reading at a 5th grade level, we will teach them at THEIR level. We do all that we can to ensure no child falls through the cracks or goes without being challenged. Indeed, we may not have the white boards or the brand new school, but we make learning powerful and engage our students. Parents continue to bring their children back to HCK year after year, because their priority is their child's education. We have had parents withdraw their students to enroll them in a bigger, newer school closer to their homes just to have them come back the year after and say "I love HCK" or "I love the teachers here." If you're interested in enrolling your child at HCK, ignore the negative comments on here. HCK, may not be for everyone, but it's definitely a school for many students and teachers that consider it their second home.

Posted May 04, 2011
Do not enroll your students in this school. I think it is a bad place for teachers and students.

Posted March 19, 2011
My son has been attending HCK for 4 years now and has learned so much. The teachers are great. They make sure every child learns. Also, they care about all the children. The negative comments left by a so called teacher are false. The parents do not pay for anything. HCK provides all school supplies and school shirts. This teacher probably was fired because she couldn't keep up with training. Only the best work at HCK.

Posted November 29, 2010
I used to work at a teacher there and this school absolutely shocked me with what was happening. While the teachers are excellent, they are working in such a harmful and stressful environment that they cannot give the children the education they deserve. The children are given very little resources and the administration is very disorganized. As a result of this disorganization, my students had their schedule changed more then three times in one week and at least once a week since the school year began. I had to change grades because they had to be approved by the superintendent, so you will never know if grades came from your student's work or from the superintendent. I was constantly asking for special need support for some of my students and never received it. I also had to seek resources on the internet because there is no curriculum or textbooks, so I felt very limited with the education I was providing to students. I could no longer work there because I constantly felt like the people that were being cheated were the students and I couldn't live with that guilt.

Higgs Carter King Gifted & Talente
511 Fredericksburg Road, San Antonio, TX  78201
Last modified Higgs Carter King Gifted & Talente is a Charter school that serves grades PK-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Higgs Carter King Gifted & Talente Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 28 reviews. Top