Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Too much (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Effective (1 response)

Roan Forest Elementary School 3

Posted June 15, 2016
This schoola lacks warmth. The previous school my child attended the principal was always around in the mornings greeting everyone and had encouraging words for her students to start the day off. I certainly don't ever see that here. Not to mention they start announcements five minutes prior to the first bell. Several students are still walking in at that time and don't benefit from what is said in the announcements and risk being late because they have to stop and wait during the Pledge or the moment of silence (for no one in particular). I don't understand the purpose of that. They don't have enough field trips, but do have several useless in school/class events. And be prepared to always have your checkbook open, and that of family and friends, for the endless fundraisers! PTA constantly raising money for this that and the other, but I have yet to see "this that or the other". I think this past year it was to pay for a family's trip to Disneyland that was raffled off at the school carnival. Overall I am certainly not impressed by this school. It's principal and staff need a serious course on realizing it's not all about numbers, but also about how you present yourself with the parents and children. It's a very uninviting school. I don't imagine it being a Lighthouse School anytime soon.

Posted September 08, 2014
Excellent school! Keep the parents engage in your kids activity, it's my daughter's second year in Roan Forest, she is already speaking spanish ( dual program ), she is very motivated to go to school and learn, their curriculum is excellent and the teachers are very discipline with their students, they are very sweet but always expect more from the kids, they always challenging them.

Posted July 29, 2014
As the saying goes "You get out what you put in". I am on my second principal in 2 years, and they have very different styles and priorities, but both are good for the school. Teachers are great, and if you decide to be an involved parent, your child will benefit. It is MY JOB as a parent to keep tabs on my kids progress - the teachers are responsible for the classroom work. If my child was struggling, the teachers were more than helpful to direct me towards resources I could use at home to help my children excel. Parent involvement, IMHO, includes helping your child with homework and reviewing it before it gets sent back, meeting deadlines, reading the info that gets sent home, etc. IF there was a different category for PTA, I'd give it 5 stars, because there is a small but very committed group of parents in the PTA. Thty do the best they can for the entire school. More parents need to volunteer to benefit both their children and the school as a whole.

Posted September 04, 2013
This school may be one of the top rated for it's curriculum or test scores but the way the main office staff treats people is sub-par in my opinion. I have had 2 encounters that made me question whether I wanted my children to attend this school at all. One was when I went into the office to inquire about enrolling my now 11 year old. They were very snobby towards me and acted like I should know the boundary cut off for attending the school. Mind you I live right across Evans road and smack dab in the middle between Roan Forest and Encino Park. I am not from Texas, and didn't even know where to start in registering my first child for school. Now I have had another opportunity to communicate with them over the telephone. Same thing, they were very unhelpful and unfriendly. How hard is it to provide a bit of direction on your programs, what you offer, or even a common act of friendliness if you don't know about your programs? I truly believe that with children we need to lead by example and if this is the example being set to the children is it really that good of an environment for them? Staff could use a good lesson in external relations.

Posted August 27, 2012
We have been so impressed with Roan Forest. Some of my neighbors pay to send their children to Private School. Why??? What a waste of money. The teachers are great. I love that the school is very small compared to a lot of the other schools in NEISD.

Posted December 13, 2011
It is the second year with a new principal. I've had children here for over 9 years, and the cold atmosphere in administration has been replaced with a great principal. RF really sets the bar high, academics, along with an emphasis on the arts, prepares children for lifelong learning.

Posted September 06, 2011
As a Roan Forest family, we love the learning atmosphere the school provides. My daughter loves her teachers and is one of the highest ranked in Texas. I couldn't ask for more from a school.

Posted September 10, 2010
I had two children at this school. One in 4th grade and one in K. My K child has special needs and it was extremely obvious the school's focus was on being a Blue Ribbon school instead of helping kids who needed extra attention. His K teacher received teacher of the year award and she barely knew my sons't name and had no understanding of his struggles even after several ARD's. She was clueless and didn't care as long as her other students made her shine. We moved to the new CG school and obviously a much better school. Roan's principal is now down at central office where she has more influence on the district unfortunately. The upside is parent involvement is extremely high but PTA VERY clicky and they don't have opprotunities for working moms. Would not recommend this if you can go to Encino, Bulverde or Cibolo Green.

Posted August 12, 2010
This school is hard, but my 2 kids have learned so much here. I tell people why pay for private school if you can go to Roan Forest. My son is well prepared for Middle School, and my daughter has soaked up the core taught here. I hope our new school will be just as good. Two new elementary schools have been built, and we are splitting into 3rds.

Posted July 14, 2010
Sure the scores look great, and exemplary status makes this school shine even more. However behind the scene is a Pricipal who pushes art music and other elective type learning more than the core of everything reading and writing. The teaching staff is excellent, but the administration ties their hands when it comes to taking care of problems. The administration does nothing to correct bullying unless there are witnesses. Which means your child better not get bullied in the bathroom or behind one of the outdoor buildings, because they will believe the innocent looking bully. The only saving grace for this school is that they opened 2 new ones and my children can now go to those instead! Good luck parents, but don't fret, all the moms make sure that there are plently of decorations and snak times for you if you don't work!!!!

Roan Forest Elementary School
22710 Roan Park, San Antonio, TX  78259
Last modified Roan Forest Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.