San Antonio, TX

Posted June 24, 2014
Lunch time at this school is AWFUL! I surprise my son, and show up randomly to eat lunch with him, and many, many, many times I have witnessed the children being yelled at for talking to their neighbor while eating. It's ridiculous! They expect the children to act like zombies, eat without any interaction with their friends, and what gets me the most is that they have to put their heads down when they are finished. They seriously weren't allowed to talk at all, and the sad part is that the kids who do still manage to try to talk (squeak) quietly get their recess taken away. Like that solves the problem. These kids need to talk, and get the silly's out so they can focus in class. Walking in the halls is also painful to watch for the younger kids ... They are expected to be in a 'perfectly' straight line when walking in the halls. My son was in first grade, FIRST GRADE. I'm very close to pulling him out to homeschool because of the lack of respect they show these young kids. The only reason I haven't is because my son had an amazing kindergarten teacher. We loved Mrs. Brown.

Posted April 23, 2014
Let's face it - this school is for children who do not speak English. I absolutely detest Hartman for for some reason my daughter likes it. There are other, better schools such as Woodlake Elementary. I agree with what others are saying about the women who work in the office. They are horribly, especially the one who just sits in front of her computer and pretends that she doesn't know anything else. If possibly, do not send your child to this school. Maybe it's different if you speak the native language of the school. If not, it's going suck for you and your child.

Posted August 25, 2013
There is no contol over the students in this school. The students use foul language and are mean to other students. Teachers dont care! The office staff are rude! The lunches are disgusting... So if you have a child attending here pack their lunch! The cafeteria is filthy too! My children went here for 18 months, we then moved only to find out that when they entered school at their new school in a different state that they were ridiculously behind in everything! Their new teachers wondered if the teachers at hartman actually taught anything at all!!! Terrible school all around!

Posted August 21, 2013
If you are looking to move stay away from this school! Parents are treated like dirt, unless you are one of the few who can even figure out how to get involved. In the 3 years I have been at the school I have never seen one advertisement for PTO meeting. I have actively tried to get involved and have been given the cold shoulder on multiple occasions. Communication is non existent at all levels.

Posted July 11, 2013
I went to this school I was there from 1st to 5th grade I am now a 10th grader. But at lunch at this school we weren't allowed to talk. We were expected to be in a perfect straight line when walking in the halls. Oh and my 3rd grade teacher made fun of me because I forgot a paper and had my classmates volunteer to make fun of me. I have to say I've never been happier since I passed 5th and left that school. My little sister went to this school and she only went for kinder..even she remembers not being able to talk at lunch

Mary Lou Hartman 5

Posted February 01, 2013
Hi Im a student at hartman and its awesome we have a new principal named Mr.Juarez he's alwys greeting people and how i know is because im in student council and hes always striving to help out so this is a great school now i luv this school!

Posted May 18, 2012
This school is awful. My 6 year old was suspended for the day. 6 years old!! Not for bitig or something. He took a kids stickers. Awful behavior and I'm not excusing it. But suspension, really? Are all school like this nowadays where they give kinder kids in school suspension and suspend them off campus? The administration is rude and not courteous. The principal caled and have me no explanation andaskes me to come pick up my son. When I visit, I've seen teachers being ugly to kids. Bottom line there are too many kids I each teacher. My son will not be attending this school next year.

Posted September 08, 2011
My children barely lasted 2 weeks in this school before I pulled them out. I witnessed so many ridiculous things regarding discipline it was not even funny. The teachers completely act different when they realized a parent is watching. I caught a few of them being incredibly mean to children for no real reason other than that they could. I agree with the other reviewer that says they expect the kids to act like robots and zombies. They are barely allowed to talk at lunch, my daughter got yelled at for quietly asking the girl next to her a question. if one child messes up, everyone gets in trouble. I will say that my child had one AMAZING teacher, and I really feel like the teachers were at least trying to do their best with what the administration expects of them, but the overall school environment is one of hostility towards the kids and parents and probably the joy of teaching is being sucked right out of those poor teachers. Run far away from this place. there are so many charter schools to choose from in San Antonio. I wish parents would send Judson ISD a message by pulling their kids out.

Posted June 01, 2011
i wouldnt give this school not one star. they want your child to be robots and zombies. Both of my children went to this school, both TAG. and i agree that the administration is unprofessional and bullies. I am so glad my children will NO LONGER ATTEND THAT SCHOOL. I miss the old principal, they need to get rid of the vice principal he so timid and unprofessional as well. I hate to say it but, they do pay special attention to certain students.

Posted May 12, 2011
We have had nothing but problems with the Administrators here. Our children have been in gifted education all their lives, and they never get in trouble. At Hartman, they are harassed by the principals and teachers, and when the other kids get out of control, there is nothing done about it. They have to have police present at their functions to keep the peace, so it is definitely not a place where you would want to leave your kids all day. The principal even threatened my son at lunch today, so this school is getting a really high rating for how bad it really is.

Mary Lou Hartman
7203 Woodlake Parkway, San Antonio, TX  78218
Last modified Mary Lou Hartman is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Mary Lou Hartman Rating: 2 out of 5 based on 16 reviews. Top