6-12|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

Supports LD students: Strongly disagree

Students with learning differences were constantly made fun of and bullied. I remember they used to make fun of this one guy because he was a little "slower". Nothing was done and the coach was right there and said nothing.

Effective school leaders: Strongly disagree

There is no leadership at this school.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

The majority of the student body knew nothing about integrity, compassion, nor respect. There is a serious bullying problem that runs rampant through the halls of the school and dorms. The kids that go there are privileged and entitled. Teachers do nothing to intervene in fact I strongly believe they condone bullying because I have witnessed them first hand bully myself and peers.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

I remember one kid asked the biology teacher about Darwin's theory and he was sent to the principal's office. Teachers have their favorites.

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

Best part of this school! Administration and staff need to let them do their job and not make life difficult for them or their students.

Amount of homework: Agree

Most of the teachers have a good handle on educating. There are some inexperienced and non-certified teachers that won't provided a good education, not from lack of trying but they haven't received the training and don't have experience. They are hired because they are cheap hires for the school. It is amazing how little the school pays their professionals.

The Academy has been an awesome experience for all 3 of my children. My oldest graduated in 2010. He was a fine arts student that never would have achieved so much in the public school system. He is now a Navy airman and a great source of pride for our family. My second and third child still attend the Academy. In addition to great academics, roles of leadership, they have also obtained a great resume for college athletics in their future. I credit a great teacher/parent communication, the student/teacher ratio, and the commitment of Christian faculty and staff to not only teach, but to mentor these young people by investing in their lives.

I went to high school here and all I can say is there is a HUGE bullying problem. I was bullied relentlessly, and I remember like yesterday when I went to the teacher she just laughed and called me the "nickname" all the spoiled rich kids had given me. She never stopped the bullying in class either. I hate this school it destroyed my self esteem.

Transferring to San Marcos Academy was the best decision we ever made for our child. I only wish we would have known about the Academy sooner so that we would have had several more years here. The staff, teachers and coaches are kind and the most supportive you will find anywhere. The structure of the School is preparing our child for College, therefore, we feel the transition will be more smooth. The School does so much for the student body and the extras will amaze. The extra activities are fun and truly based on what the students want to do. We love having the foreign students on campus so everyone can learn about their culture.

Our son has thrived in this environment. He participates and competes with youth from around the State in academic as well as social activities like dances, contests, fun days, Six Flags trips. Involved and lettered in Band and Marching band. 2 years in the Jazz Band. Lettered & plays baseball. Has been, or currently is a Student Ambassador, Student Senate, Senate President, Student Council Vice president. Participates in TAPPS Regional and State competitions: Leader in the schools Boy Scout Troop 1907: Weight lifting! Students come from all around the world. They are from China, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Korea, Japan, Hong Kong, Canada, Mexico, even Alaska! Talk about a cosmopolitan experience! This mix of people is you get on any major college campus. We are blessed and thankful at SMBA and encourage you to be a part of this: Challenged, encouraged, and loved while building a solid foundation for the future.

Last modified San Marcos Baptist Academy is a Private school that serves grades 6-12