Southlake, TX

Posted April 16, 2015
I cannot believe all these negative comments. Really? This is a great school with caring and attentive teachers! My son has attended this school from kindergarten. He enjoys his teachers and has received an excellent start to his education.

Posted March 20, 2015
Not a good choice for everyone. If you have average or below average kids then come to this school. They sure will teach and bring your kids up. If your kid is very slow then they'll make you repeat a grade or two. If you have advanced or high above average kids, don't come here. They have nothing for your kids and they don't care. Your kids will be sitting around waiting for others to catch up. The GT program is pathetic 1.5 hr a week and some weeks none. We've been here 3 years and finally made a decision to leave. Now we're regretting moving here to Southlake because of the school's rating!
3 people found this helpful

Posted December 04, 2014
New principal needed!!! She does nothing but fill space. Get someone in there that truly wants to make a difference and is a great leader. The school should really work on teaching students about being bullied and how to handle a bully. It should not be tolerated and very much needs to be addressed!!! Times have really changed and this school needs to catch up!!
3 people found this helpful

Posted September 05, 2014
Please keep the principal's secretary from answering phones or speaking to parents! If you greet her with a smile you can count on a grumble and a scowl! This is known by everyone and she seems to not care or have any social awareness. Come on Walnut Grove, we can do better!
4 people found this helpful

Posted August 13, 2014
I agree with the previous reviews. Principal is so egoistic. You will not see any improvement academically, if your kid needs extra support. Kids are constantly bullied, Principal does nothing but fill space. Really someone has to watch these public school systems. Poor kids are suffering everyday.

Posted June 12, 2014
This school definitely does not deserve the good rating it has. My experience with them was awful, they are very un-professional, during my son's a.r.d or i.e.p the principal was talking on a walkie-talkie, texting and walking in and out of the room while the therapists were talking to me about their observations, the ot and speech pathologist were wispering and giggling while the teacher was talking about her observations. The diagnostician was very heartless while talking to me about my son not being independent when I die (he has autism). They are also very dishonest, they do not know how to work with a child in an individual way, my youngest son has adhd but he is very smart, always been 1 year ahead at reading. Well, not at this school, he finished the year at the exact same reading level he started with (he was there for 3 1/2 months). Also saw the counselor wiping her hand on her pants after shaking my hand. Academically did not see an improvement, they came out the same as they went in. My youngest son was constantly bullied and the teacher was in complete denial, she did nothing about it and even stuck up for a girl that threw a bean pillow at my son's face.
2 people found this helpful

Posted May 22, 2014
My child has attended Walnut Grove for two years and it is a superior school. The teachers are caring and willing to assist the children with any difficulties they have. The principal and administration really listen to the parents and try to support any needs. The families are involved and supportive. Walnut Grove is a wonderful elementary experience for any child!

Posted March 19, 2014
My son is in his fourth year here and my daughter started Kindergarten. I'm surprised by some of the negative posts on here. Apparently, people like to post negative more often so I wanted to post about what an amazing school this is and how much parent/teacher involvement there is at this school. I have heard from TONS of people looking to move to this area that they have heard this is the elementary school to get into. Our home sales have gone up and it's hard to get a house in this area because of this school. Don't look at these negative posts. Also, the music teacher is no longer there (he retired last year) and that was where some of the negativity was coming from. We have two more kids going to this school in the future and look forward to all four of our kids being here one day.
2 people found this helpful

Posted March 16, 2014
This is my son's first year at WGES, and I have to say that I absolutely love this school and the teachers! The curriculum is advanced and coming from a Montessori background I feared that my son might regress. However, he actually loves learning even more and enjoys going to school each day. He is challenged academically but also is learning important social skills that is helping him be well-rounded. His teacher is wonderful and there is so much parent involvement as far as volunteering is concerned. Glad and blessed to be a part of this wonderful school district!

Posted October 06, 2013
My son is in his second year here and he enjoys school. Reading some other reviews concerns me a bit because I am wondering if I am missing something. My son tends to be rather quiet so it would be easy for things to happen and for me to never find out. That being said, he does love his teacher and so do I. She is great about answering emails promptly and even on weekends. She seems very invested in him and I appreciate that. His teacher last year was also good, but it was harder to get her to respond to emails as quickly and I couldn't convince her to differentiate math instruction for my son who is amazingly adept at everything mathematical. I felt she didn't believe me and when I showed work from home, she just said she couldn't do it. That has really been my only frustration. Mostly I am happy that my son is happy and feels cared for there. Academically he is way ahead on everything so I haven't really had to deal with academic concerns.

Walnut Grove Elementary School
2400 North Carroll Avenue, Southlake, TX  76092
Last modified Walnut Grove Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-4. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Walnut Grove Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 25 reviews. Top