No rating

Northwoods Catholic School

Private | PK-8 | 250 students

Forming leaders with a strong foundation through Integral Formation®.

Living in Spring

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $140,900. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,250.

Posted April 22, 2012

I would agree with the previous posting. Each year has progressively become worse. My child has been at Northwoods since kindergarten. We trusted Northwoods with my child but after this year, I m considering transferring my child to another school.

Posted September 27, 2011

What an awesome Catholic School! One of two strictly private Catholic pre K-8th grade school's (not affiliated with a parish) and the only gender separate school in Houston and surrounding areas. The academics, we've experienced, are far beyond our expectations and the integral formation is incredible. Price is in line with that of other private schools in the area.

Posted March 8, 2011

I couldn't disagree more with bad review on curriculum. We placed our child in Northwoods Catholic while we were waiting on the completion of our neighborhood school in The Woodlands. He completed a year there before construction was completed. The year our child was at Northwoods, he was challenged and very happy. Now our child is in our neighborhood school, not only did he repeat much of what he already learned at Northwoods- he is an honor roll student. One of my neighbors was in the exact same situation as us- enrolled at Northwoods while waiting for the neighborhood school to open. Their child is now testing for gifted. I would recommend Northwoods Catholic School to anyone searching for a Catholic education. The religious formation is excellent and the curriculum is challenging and age-appropriate.

Posted January 26, 2011

I would agree with the previous posting. Academics are NOT top notch. In fact, that are at public school level or below in some cases. Some grade levels did not have their books until months into the 1st semester. It has become a "little mexico" school where Spanish is spoken throughout the school all the time. Many classes have a 'community' of sorts of spanish speaking only students. The teachers don't know what they are saying and don't know if they are copying each other's papers. It's a beautiful campus but the academics do not matchup with the cost of tuition.

Posted December 8, 2010

NCS promised a curriculum that would have the children one year ahead, NOT at all the truth. In fact, it would be more accurate to advertise, one year behind leaving our children below average! Children are only being introduced to different aspects in each subject, failing to comprehend what they are being taught. I agree with a previous posting and "Don't be fooled by the building and the PR" We trusted Northwoods with our children so I say 'SHAME ON YOU NCS, SHAME ON YOU!!"

Posted October 31, 2008

My son is in 8th grade and has been at Northwoods since kindergarten. Not only has he been consistantly challenged with an academically accelerated curriculum, he has grown in his relationship with Christ and developed a moral interior compass with a definite sense of right and wrong. My husband and I appreciate that the school supports what we teach at home.

Posted May 4, 2007

My son has been in Northwoods Catholic School since Pre-K3. He is finishing his Kindergarten year May 2007. I knew his level of education was excellent when one of his math homework problems was to 'color all the congruent rectangles blue.' I asked if he knew what 'congruent' was and he responded, 'same size and same shape.' WOW! When he goes to school I know he is safe, that he feels secure and loved by teachers and administrators and that Christ is ever-present. My son is truly getting well formed at this school. It's worth every penny!

Posted May 2, 2007

Not the best school I took my kids to. The discipline was good, but the arts program and athletics did not seem too developed. Also, Spanish was not allowed to be spoken(unless lunch), so that dropped my rating of this school overall.

Posted April 10, 2006

We were very pleased with our kindergarden experiene at Northwoods. The kids did more homework than I did in high school. The parents didn't like it but the kids rose to the occassion. They seemed to have pushed themselves a little to soon financially, but we had good teachers and a great, well thought-out curriculum. This is a school that knows its mission and takes it seriously. Can't say that about many others.

Posted November 11, 2004

At first this school appeared too good to be true. I kept waiting and waiting byt the fact is it is great. Safe, disciplined, educationally rigorous but most of all - charitable. My kids have never been so happy. This school is very Catholic but in a very healthy way and is loyal to the Pope but at the same time it is not traditionalist in any way, and the religious and moral formation aspects have had a wonderful effect on my kids. Of course, it is not perfect, but I cannot recommend this school highly enough.

Posted November 9, 2004

This is the 4th year our 4 children have attended Northwoods. We are thoroughly happy with the school as are our children. We've been to many other schools in the area over the years. None of them come close to the quality of academic and spiritual formation that Northwoods offers. The teachers periodically evaluate each child individually and set new goals in the 4 main areas of formation: academic, social, spiritual, and human. We have witnessed our children blossom in the environment of the school. They will be well prepared to face the challenges of life as true leaders for Christ.

Posted November 7, 2004

Northwoods is the ONLY school for my children! As a single mom, I had to plan over a year in advance to have the finances available and to move to this side of town, just so my children could go to NCS. The benefits are evident every day that I see my sons (6, 8) share their knowledge, respect, and love for Christ. Northwoods truly makes education a FAMILY event, extending beyond the beautiful buildings. The teachers are more than professionals; they are friends, faith-filled Catholics, and individuals dedicated to our children - our future. Fundraising is part of everyday discussion, but for some families, like ours, our gift is tuition because that's all we can give. I thank God everyday for the gift of Northwoods!

Posted November 5, 2004

We moved into the area in time for the 2004-2005 school year and were greatly impressed by the effort that was made by the administrative staff to welcome us to the school. Class sizes (8,6,4) are relatively small and each of my children get an appropriate level of assistance when it is needed. The Principal works hard to advance the academics and athletics at the school and the volunteer coach for the girls volleyball was excellent.

Posted November 5, 2004

This is our sixth year at the school. My wife and I are very pleased with the academic, human and spiritual formation our children receive. Scores from yearly Iowa standardized tests verify our belief that the children are receiving a high quality academic education. Grade appropriate projects encourage the children to embrace learning as an ongoing process. Critical thinking and reasoning are taught to enable the children to apply lessons learned to real world situations. The faculty and staff address all issues that arise swiftly and fairly, always using Christ as a role model. Northwoods is our partner in educating and forming our children into leaders for Christ and the Church. God has blessed us through Northwoods Catholic School.

Posted November 5, 2004

I have found the school to be sincere in its love of molding and teaching children. The teachers all seem to love what they are doing and make a safe environment for students to learn in. I do although have a bit af a problem when it comes to the the cost of the school and the amount of fundraising and donation hunting that goes on. Every school project or event that takes place at the school seems to be tagged with a donation request. I fully understand their desire to build additional facilities but I am paying for the education of my child and not for their desire to build more buildings in the shortest time possible. I suggest more of what they do best; teaching.

Posted November 5, 2004

This is my son's first year at Northwoods Catholic School. He loves it! He is in Pre-K3 and goes three full days a week. His teacher is a highly experienced teacher whom my son loves. When my son 'runs' into school in the morning (he runs because he is so excited to be there) the principal, dean of academics, admission director and other teachers greet him by name! What I like best about the school is the leadership formation. We feel very blessed to have Northwoods in the Houston area. There is not another school like in the greater Houston area.

Posted November 4, 2004

Our son is in his fourth year at Northwoods and we could not be more satisfied with the education and formation he has recieved from the faculty and staff at Northwoods. There is a great mix of academics, religion, discipline and love that each and every child is exposed to. We really like the smaller class sizes, which allows for advanced cirriculum. In the past year we have become more involved in volunteering at the school and have found the family atmosphere and fellowship rewarding. The school does have growing pains, but continues to move forward. Extra curricular activities continue to expand enhancing the social development of the children and athletics (Northwoods fielded a football team this year and actually won the homecoming game!)for both boys and girls are offered.Come to an open house (Nov. 18 from 6-8pm)and you will see why Northwoods is a great place for all God's children.

Posted November 4, 2004

We moved from the far west side of Houston to be close to Northwoods before our children were old enough to enroll. Northwoods is the only school for my children! The kids are immersed in a relationship with Christ in everything they do and learn at school, and the faculty loves these kids! Each faculty member knows and believes he or she is doing Christ's work. It is also wonderful to be associated with so many parents dedicated to the faith. Our children will attend Northwoods Catholic School from Pre-K3 through high school!

Posted November 4, 2004

My son is in his second year at Northwoods and currently in kindergarten. It is amazing to see how much he has developed in the two years. Friends, family and aquaintences are amazed at how impressed they are with the development my son has attained just as a kindergartner. Northwoods develops the person spiritually, acedemically and socially.

Posted November 4, 2004

We love this school. All 5 of our children attend and even though it is a financial sacrifice it is worth every penny. We believe in the mission of the school and can feel the presence of Christ in every aspect. We thank God for this great school and the fantastic academic and faith formation our children receive.

Asian or Pacific Islander 4% 4%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
ELL/ESL Coordinator
Librarian/media specialist(s)
PE instructor(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • None - the school offers no services

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

School start time
  • 8:15 am
School end time
  • 3:30 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 6:30 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:30 p.m.
  • Kristen Thome - principal
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Principal - Kristen Thome
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Fax number
  • (281) 350-0330

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• None
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Art teacher(s)
  • ELL/ESL Coordinator
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Foreign languages spoken by staff

• Creative writing
  • Poetry
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Chess club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join NAPA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Apply now

What are your chances?

7 out of 10students were accepted for the 2012-2013 school year.

Students accepted for the 2012-2013 school year
Applications received for the 2012-2013 school year
Students typically come from these schools
Private Preschool / Daycare / Mothers Day Out Programs
Area Public Schools
Other Catholic Schools (relocating to area)

What does it cost?

Tuition range for the 2012-2013 school year
$7000 - $8000
Vouchers accepted
Financial aid offered
School-based aid
The Archdiocesan Tuition Assistance Program

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Duchesne Academy