Metzler Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 856 students

Posted June 17, 2014

Metzler is a wonderful school. The principals are terrific and very accessible and attentive to parents and propsective parents. My children are amazingly happy. The PTO is first class and does an amazing job supporting students and teachers and fostering school spirit. I cannot imagine sending my kids anywhere else.

Posted February 26, 2014

Metzler has had some growing pains but with the new principal and assistant principal as well as the amazing teachers I just have to disagree with the negative comments on here. The school events are a pain to check in with the office and the lines but ultimately it is to protect our kids and I am 100% grateful for that. The school is clean, my children are challenged academically, and the teachers send newsletter emails that keeps me on top of all they are doing. I also feel that the PTO is awesome. The staff and parents work together to do some really neat activities for the kids. I moved into our new house specifically to stay in this school and refused to leave because the same zone has Hildebrandt and Klein Oak all which are amazing schools with lots of community involvement.

Posted September 12, 2013

My son and now my daughter attended Metzler since it opened. Love the school and the teachers. This school looks new every day I walk in.

Posted September 12, 2013

My child attended Kindergarten at Metzler last year. The class size was way too large (28-30 children) until right before Christmas. There did not seem to be consistency throughout the Kindergarten classrooms. The teacher my child had not only never worked with my child one-on-one, but she was not held accountable to work with my child because no one was checking. I think a change needs to be made, not only with the teachers, but also with the administration. The school has already dropped from a score of 9 on greatschools.com to a score of 7, within the past year. We have recently moved because we are very disappointed and will not be returning to Metzler.

Posted September 11, 2013

kids love it had no issues with school,. Teachers are good. I have another going in a couple of years.

Posted August 23, 2012

We attended Metzler for several years. We will not be returning. The school has definitely declined. The school has serious bullying problems (from students as well as some teachers) that are not being adequately addressed. I would not talk to my dog the way some of those teachers talk to their students. I know several people who have left the school over the past couple of years due to this problem/issue. Academically I was not very impressed with this school either. Communication at the school is terrible. I didn't even know when my child was having tests. There are numerous problems at this school that thus far have not been addressed. I hope for the kids that still attend that school that they get it together, but I am not optimistic. I would encourage anyone who has children that attend Metzler that you listen to your kids and ask them about your day. If you hear anything that doesn't sound right I would notify the administration AS WELL AS the superintendant as soon as possible.

Posted July 26, 2012

My son attended only 1 year of school at Metzler (kindy) & then we moved to another area of town &, thus, a new school, so my review of Metzler is limited to just that 1 year experience, but, I can say that I have mixed feelings about this school. Academically, Metzler is strong, but also a little "intense" with it's students. I was shocked at how much homework my kindergartener had & compared to his new school (in the same district) the difference was huge (tons daily vs. almost none daily!). His grades remained high and he didn't seem to suffer acaemically for the difference in volume of homework. Additionally, I didn't find Metzler to be very welcoming to parents in general. Anytime we came to special events at Metzler it just felt almost a little intimidating to have to deal with the front office as they were not friendly & sometimes acted almost annoyed w/ those checking in. Lastly, my son's grades had been fine all year, no probs noted on progress reports, etc., and then WHAMMO, his last report card comes & he had a low grade in math! I had to chase down his teacher to get an explanation as to why & never got a satisfactory answer. Disappointing experience, in general.

Posted June 16, 2012

I agree with the previous post. My son has ADHD and was in 5th grade this pass year. I tried to inform his teacher at the beginning of the school year of his learning disability, but every time I tried to contact her, she wasn't there...even for open house! They kept giving me the run around when I tried to tell them about placing him into smaller groups so that he could learn to the fullest of his capability, but was also unsuccessfully. When I finally received a meeting with the counselor and teachers, it was in March/April...when school was almost out. Also, after he switched teachers in the middle of the school year, I asked his new teacher how he was progressing and if he needed a tutor, she said he was doing okay and don't worry about it. You tell me, if a child is doing okay, then why is he still receiving D's and F's and has to attend summer school. In a nutshell, learning really depends upon the teacher because last year, he also attended Metzler and received A-C's. His teacher, Mrs. Bicknell was awesome! Wish they had more teachers like her. BEWARE! Next year, he's going to go to another school with smaller classes.

Posted May 18, 2012

We have had children at Metzler since 2006 and are finally pulling out our youngest two. Initial years were OK, but it has declined sharply since. On behalf of a growing number of parents who have been trying to get administrators to listen to needs of the children, we are left in frustration. This is mainly due to suppression of normal child behaviors and an unfriendly front office staff. Our concerns are shared by countless parents. We've seen teachers scorn kids in the hallways for simple things like getting out of line or normal talking, which makes us worry us what happens in the classroom. When asked if we can observe our child's classroom from the hallway, the administrators strongly discouraged us. The regular crackdowns we have witnessed in the cafeteria (one of the few moments of play the children have during the day) is also concerning. The amount of "time filler" class work and homework the students are given, rather than focus on learning, makes schoolwork needlessly hard on the children and parents. On the plus side, they have some outstanding teachers, which we appreciate.. One day we hope the administration move out of apathy and back to trying.

Posted April 9, 2012

I am so impressed with Metzler. This was son's first year here and he is in Mrs. Livecchi class in the 2nd grade and she has helped so much with his development and she is very prompt with responding to the children and parent needs and requests. I have another son that attends Pre-K with speech and it has been one of the best experiences to see him develop. I would recommend the school to anyone. I am going to hate to see my kids grow and move to middle school. Thank you Metzler for putting me at ease everyday that I drop my children off at your campus

Posted January 11, 2012

We love Metzler! The teachers and administration are fabulous! Our children love attending school! Go Huskies!

Posted October 5, 2009

Both myself and my daughter love Metzler Elementary. The staff and the school are great. Go Huskies!!!

Posted October 5, 2009

Awesome teachers and administration!

Posted October 5, 2009

Metzler has a loving and caring staff that strive to get their students to reach their maximum potential, and Metzler has the best students ever!

Posted October 5, 2009

Great teachers and lots of programs to get involved in.

Posted June 1, 2009

My son is now going into his fourth year at Metzler and loves going to school. It has been a terrific experience as a parent to witness the incredible teaching and guidance and support Metzler provides. The environment there is very positive and supportive and my son has always been in the top of his classes with excellent grades. This being said, the only complaint I have, (and, unfortunately, I don't seem to be the only parent in this boat) is that the approach that Metzler has toward developmental services for students in need is not so fastidious. My son was approved for speech therapy (in school) to address a speech development issue, and we have yet to see any feedback. He has only been seen 4 or 5 times (he was approved for 24 weeks) and is pretty much left to his own resources (us, at home) for help.

Posted May 15, 2009

I am so sad we have to move out of state. I love Metzler Elementary School. My daughter attended Kindergarten with Mrs. Taylor. It was my daughter's first school experience and Mrs. Taylor made a positive, happy , lasting impression that will be with my daughter forever! I could not have asked for better administration, PTO, you name it. This school is awesome! I wish we could take Mrs. Taylor and Metzler with us to Nevada!!!

Posted May 27, 2008

I couldn t be happier. My son is in the 6th grade. When he enrolled at Metzler (dyslexia) he could barely read. Because of Metzler he is excelling in Middle school with all A's an the occasional B. My daughter also attends - she is so happy and well adjusted, he self esteem has flourished due to the positive experience of each and every member of the Metzler Staff. Thank you for all you give.

Posted November 29, 2005

Outstanding, Ms. Rigia has to be the best principal I have come in contact with. She is completely in the education business for the kids, not to be an 'administrator'. The PTO is strong and the activity level is outstanding. Being a brand new school doesn't hurt either, as they have the latest and greatest teaching aids and teachers.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 89% in 2011.

118 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2011.

127 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2011.

125 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 88% in 2011.

130 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 90% in 2011.

126 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 82% in 2011.

127 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2011.

132 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 87% in 2011.

132 students were tested at this school in 2011.

All Students92%

Not special education94%
Limited English proficient (LEP)70%
Proficient in English96%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 79% in 2013.

143 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

146 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 72% in 2013.

148 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 68% in 2013.

146 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 71% in 2013.

142 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

145 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 75% in 2013.

147 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 73% in 2013.

145 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students73%

Not migrant88%
Not Gifted88%
Bilingual45%

Source: Texas Education Agency

• In 2010-2011, this school was rated "Recognized".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Exemplary".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Exemplary".

Asian or Pacific Islander 4% 4%

Teacher experience

This school District averageState average
Beginning teachers 0%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

8500 West Rayford Road