No rating

Providence Classical School

Private | PK-12 | 320 students

Classical and Christian education

Living in Spring

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $174,400. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,030.

Posted October 3, 2014

Providence Classical School is an amazing school. Their teaching methods, staff, and administration are exceptional. As the father of four sons I could not be more pleased with the way my children have been accepted into the Providence community and the way that they have flourished as a result. I thank God every day for bringing Providence into our lives. Not enough superlatives to list. Simply outstanding.

Posted September 1, 2014

A fine, winsome Christian community, dedicated to training up a child to impact their culture for Christ. Academically rigorous, with parental involvement and engagement a necessary thing, and without the "games" that some other schools play, PCS is a fantastic school for parents and children looking to get the best from their school years.

Posted July 13, 2014

Great School. Great Teacher. Excellent Education. New Campus coming soon due to overwhelming enrollment. You will wish you could go back to school and learn the classical way!

Posted May 18, 2014

Providence has provided a wonderful Christian environment for my three children over the last 8 years. This place is filled with godly men and women who care about our childrens' spiritual walk while providing a rigorous academic environment as well. This school is like an extended family and has been one of the biggest blessings in our lives. Mr. Weichbrodt, our current Headmaster, has been a shining example of what is means to die to self and live for Christ. We are blessed to know him. I urge everyone who is considering a classical education for their children to visit Providence. You will not be disappointed.

Posted April 7, 2014

Not a diverse school at all more needs to be done to offer more diversity for students to learn and be educated other students from diverse backgrounds.

Posted February 28, 2014

We have been at PCS for 7 years with our 3 children, and in all of those years we have never had a bad experience. We have encountered many different teachers and teaching styles, but always at the center of this school is God. The classical model of grammar, logic, and rhetoric, and teaching kids using methods that are developmentally appropriate, all work together to mold children into people who love learning and want to impact their culture for Christ. I look forward to many more years here and recommend Providence on a regular basis.

Posted August 2, 2013

I am delighted with the education my children have received at Providence. I am both a teacher and a parent at our school, and I have had the pleasure of watching my children progress through Providence starting in early grammar school. This past spring my older daughter graduated from Providence. I am confident the education she received has prepared her for college and beyond. The upper school faculty has been instrumental in helping to shape her Christian worldview, and she has been taught to think in a manner well beyond her years.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted June 26, 2013

My husband and I were thrilled to find a classical school here. We were very impressed with the academics, culture, and environment at Providence, and almost everyone was friendly and helpful. We went through the process of interviewing, touring, filling out essays etc ( for a second grader). We were turned down. After questioning the decision to deny my son this wonderful education, we were told that we just didn't "fit". We weren't Christian enough. If you ask me, that wasn't a very Christian way to be treated. My husband is not a religious man so I was thrilled at the possibility of giving my son a positive Christian environment and having some backup. I would think a truly Christian organization would have leapt at the opportunity to make a real impact on a child for God. We are VERY involved in our sons education and school and volunteer all the time. It was a great loss for Providence when they turned us away for not fitting into their ideal vision of a Christian family. He now attends a private Catholic school that was all too eager to accept him, and us, and they welcome us into the community without prejudice. I gave three stars for the classical model of the school only.

Posted September 25, 2012

Providence Classical School is a great choice if you are looking for an education for your children that will truly teach them to think for themselves and impact their world for Christ. The classical curriculum is taught by teachers who are passionate about their subject matter and instill in their students a love for learning (yes, even learning Latin). I appreciate that the school encourages parents to grow in their love for learning as well with educational opportunities throughout the school year. After five years of sending our three children to Providence, I am convinced that this education one of the best gifts we can give them.

Posted September 23, 2012

Providence does Classical very well, wrapped in a Chrisian world view. Our experience has been with the Upper School mostly, and it is clear that students are taught to think, and the thesis presentation demonstrates that quite well. We are very pleased with this school, especially the community, although it's not perfect (no school is). It's clear that much is expected from the students and we can't complain about that. PCS brings out the best in our children.

Posted March 10, 2012

Providence Classical School is the best decision we have ever made for our family. It is a high quality education and equips the kids beyond measure. The kids study classic literature (e.g., the Iliad, Odyssey, Shakespeare, etc.). They develop a true love of learning and respect for authority that is lacking in other schools we visited.

Posted February 27, 2012

This is a valuable education. I am a Providence graduate, so I suppose this makes me a bit less objective than the parents who review on here. I am earning a bachelor's degree at a four-year university as are most of my graduating classmates. I started in seventh grade and graduated in 2011. I believe that the allegations of judgmental attitudes seen in some of the other reviews on this site are misleading. Perhaps this "judgment" is really a general disapproval of certain behaviors exhibited by some students. PCS is a Christian school, and the faculty make no apologies for Christian teaching that is not politically correct. Students are expected to act like Christians. I was challenged in every single subject I took. In my six years at Providence, I read countless great books - mostly in lieu of text books, experienced physical and leadership challenges on several of Providence's athletic teams, and wrote a 7,000-word thesis paper. But nothing I got from my classical education was as valuable as the passion for learning I gained as a result of attending Providence. Providence Classical School taught me to care about my education - both academic, moral, and spiritual.

Posted March 25, 2011

I would proceed with caution enrolling in this school. The curriculum is spotty, especially in high school, and the attitude of the school's administration is one of arrogance and intolerance. We will not be returning next year.

Posted March 24, 2011

I cannot recommend this school. Although there are many nice families who attend, the extreme judgmental nature of the school and intolerant teaching methods do not support a positive learning environment. The upper school in particular has a problems.

Posted May 29, 2007

We never considered a private classical Christian education for our children, but once we visited the school and met with the Headmaster we knew this was the school for our family. We were unfamiliar with the classical model, but once we did our own research it made so much sense. We consider it a blessing to have found such an amazing school for our 3 children. Not only will our children be more than ready for college, they will be able to take a stand for Christ with confidence.

Posted January 28, 2007

This is an excellent K-12 school using the Classical, Christian education model. It's the best education my children could have received to prepare them for college, not just academically, but as Christians to help them conquer the moral challenges in college. It's a rigorous curriculum, not for lazy students. The faculty holds a high, but loving, standard of discipline. The goal is always restoration. We consider the tuition an investment, considering the scholarships our college kids have received.

Asian or Pacific Islander 3% 4%

College readiness and student pathways

Percentage of students going to 2-year college 6% (2013)
Percentage of students going to 4-year college 94% (2013)
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
College counselor(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff None
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • None - the school offers no services

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Science lab

• 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
  • Jon Weichbrodt
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 4 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Christian
Associations
  • ACCS
Fax number
  • (281) 379-2039

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Classical (e.g., focuses on the "classics")
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered
  • None - the school offers no services
Foreign languages taught
  • French
  • Latin
  • Spanish
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered
Vocational or skills-based training offered

• Art teacher(s)
  • College counselor(s)
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by staff
Extra learning resources offered

• Drama
  • Poetry
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Math club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school does not have a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school
School leaders, update and verify information here.

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Financial aid offered
School-based aid

Planning ahead

College preparation / awareness offered
Visiting teachers or lecturers from colleges
School-sponsored trips to college campuses
SAT/ACT prep classes
College presentations or information sessions
College prep programs/courses during the year
Students' post-graduation plans in 2013