Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

We love our daughter's 1st grade teacher Mrs. Rentsch.

Amount of homework: Strongly agree

1st grade homework was very reasonable and completed on a weekly basis.

This is my daughter's first year at Woodlands Classical Academy. We feel very blessed to have found this school for her. We just love her 1st grade teacher Mrs. Rentsch. I have volunteered many times in the classroom and I think the educational environment is stellar. Our daughter was struggling with reading and her teacher provided free tutoring before school and now she is reading above grade level. My daughter loves school and is excited to go to school every day. I love that they teach character curriclum too. The only con I might point out for older students is that extra curriculars (sports etc) are limited as this is a charter school.

Yes they don't allow kid cell phones, which is great! Cell phones are distraction. Go watch a classroom of high school students play with their phones rather than participate in their less entertaining class, this does happen in our wonderful woodlands public schools. My son was asked to do one weekday early morning tutoring, this lasted for a few months and ended when he mastered the subject. Tutoring was free and for my child's benefit, I believe this was beneficial to our family. And I'd be happy to take him to tutoring again if he does need it again in the future. All the teachers my son in 2015-16 for 7th grade seemed to be qualified and do a good job. My son can be a challenge, thinks he knows everything and is sensitive to correction, and I'm glad the teachers care about him and the other kids. I believe I had an appropriate amount of communication with the teachers and other school staff. I sometimes think it must be hard for them to deal with parents that are difficult like my son can be.

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

There were some good teachers at this school but most of them were in the younger grades.

Our 4 kids were at Vista for 3 years and each year things got worse. Lots of disconnect and a lot of turnover with the teachers and the principal. It really makes it hard to have any consistency when there is that much turn over. After we left the school we realized how much our kids were missing with the lack of extracurricular activities. Teacher communication was poor which was surprising with the size of the school. When we did have communication it seemed like (some not all) the teachers were more on the defense than partnering with you. There are a few really great teachers but for the most part we never really felt like we were a team with the teachers in teaching our kids. There was no pride with the school. The staff seemed very unhappy most of the time and there just was not any school spirit. We were so disappointed because we wanted to stay but felt that the kids just were not getting the quality of education they needed. Kids started not liking school and it was becoming a problem. The school has so much potential but is really lacking in strong leadership and consistency. The leadership is the backbone of any organization. Maybe in time they will get it right but until then we were not risking our kid’s education on them trying to figure it out.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

The teachers at WPS are excellent -- without exception in our experience. Ms. Williams in Grade 1 has been truly fabulous. Caring, compassionate, and engaging. She keeps the kids interested and stimulated in the classroom -- not an easy task with 6 year olds!

Amount of homework: Agree

Our daughter brings homework home every day. It is not particularly challenging, but teaches the students the importance of making learning a daiiy activity and forces parents to engage in their children's learning.

Develops character: Strongly agree

The IB program here is excellent. Our daughter is learning life skills, values, and leadership behaviors that will serve her for many years to come.

I am a mom of three children at Vista, this is their fourth year at the school. My children have excelled at the school; the teachers genuinely care and know my children personally. I am so thankful that we have options. Also- to the comment that teachers would not bring their children here, I am a teacher at Vista and I would not have my kids anywhere else. This is true of most of our teachers, and if a teacher does not have their child here- it is NOT because they do not believe in the school; there are other factors in deciding where to place your child- such as sports, which Vista does not offer.

Last modified Vista Academy Of The Woodlands is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.