Spring, TX

Posted October 29, 2013
Both my children have done great at this school. It is a smaller school and has a friendly atmosphere where parents are always welcome.

John Winship Elementary School 2

Posted December 26, 2009
My son has been at Winship for almost 5 years and I have not been happy. The PTO is very clickish and definately needs something done so more parents will actually want participate. The administration stands behind the teachers instead of looking at the students' best interest. The cafeteria is awful and the lunches are nothing more than tv dinners...very little nutrition is being served. When I was a kid my mom was invloved in everything and the school was an open invitation but Winship feels very closed off and selective. My son is an average student and I think because he is not a 'whiz' he is looked over. I wish we could move because we would in an instant.

Posted November 28, 2009
My Daughter has attend from k- 2 grade so far it has been a fun and enjoyable experience for her. She loves the teachers and there methods of teaching. She is soaking up like a sponge. She is happy with how positive reenforcement works. She enjoys the support of the other staff as well :) This school is making great memories..

Posted August 20, 2009
My 3rd child will be starting Winship in the fall. I have one other who attends there now and one who went through Winship, Twin Creeks and now is starting Spring High. Overall the teachers have been great. But, the PTO people are very clickish and do make me not want to volunteer. I have noticed there is a lot of favoritism shown to employees children too.

John Winship Elementary School 4

Posted April 21, 2009
Great School. It's below capacity so there's no overcrowding. No discipline problems. As far as I'm concerned it's the best elementary school in Spring ISD. Teachers are great. My only concern is there's little attention to where a student is at academically until they reach 3rd grade when they are required to start taking TAKS tests. They play catch up in 3rd grade. I expressed for K-2 that I thought my daughter was behind in math and was told she was doing well. Then at the beginning of 3rd grade, they started tutoring her to death saying she was behind in math. Parent organizations are short on volunteers but the parents in charge are very clickish and make it difficult to want to volunteer.

Posted April 28, 2008
What a great staff. They really work hard with the students. They have really good test scores this year.

John Winship Elementary School

Posted February 14, 2008
I think Winship Elementary is a great school. I have no complaints. I have two children and a nephew who attend Winship. I hope the move to the new school in Northgate will be just as great of an experience for us as Winship. I have embraced and supported Winship since my children started attending in 2004.

Posted January 30, 2008
I have two children who attend Winship and one that has moved on to middle school. There are many great qualities about this school, including the principal and staff, but some things that need to be improved upon, but are district controlled. TAKS should not be the main focus, there are more things that kids should learn. Problem children should not be in the main stream classes, they take too much learning time away from kids who want to learn. Tier III and Tier I should not be mixed, it takes too much time away from the more advanced children, plus they should not be sent to school to babysit needy kids.

John Winship Elementary School 4

Posted January 10, 2008
I have 2 children who have or do attend Winship. I think the school is an excellent place for them to learn. They are treated with respect and are challenged appropriately. I think the principal is wonderful - very open to listen to comments or concerns. The teachers have been kind and encouraging. Although, I don't agree with everything they do, I understand that they are working with many children of various learning styles and situations and that sometimes what I would like to see happen is not practical in their situation. I respect their efforts. I do feel there is too much focus on the TAKS, but unfortunately that pressure comes from the state. I think my children have been well prepared for the state requirements by the teachers at Winship. I would like to see more technology used in the classroom but I know their resources are limited.

Posted November 14, 2007
I have two children who have attended Winship Elementary. My eldest was there for Kindergarten and Third Grade, my youngest was there for First. Kindergarten was fantastic, Third grade was good but had to get more challenges for bored son. Our First grade experience was a nightmare ending with a child who had to spend all summer cathcing up. I feel like I tried on numerous occasions to work with the school on my childs below average reading and I got no where. The Principal is friendly and available for paernts when needed but no action, just lip service. What there very good at is seding home an unbelievable number of papers (flyers, newsletters. med alerts, activity notices) and you can count on what seems like daily recorded messages buy phone from the administration. In my opinion they are only focused on test scores and under tremndous pressure. Resources are limited

John Winship Elementary School
2175 Spring Creek Drive, Spring, TX  77373
Last modified John Winship Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
John Winship Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 19 reviews. Top