School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Effective April 21, 2014, the Abercrombie family regained full ownership of Abercrombie Academy. Abercrombie prides itself with high academic standards, highly qualified and trained teachers, and a small student/teacher ratio. We look forward to continuing our traditions of hands-on learning with our STEM-based curriculum, field trips, guest speakers, musical performances and extracurricular activities that set our school apart. Abercrombie is accredited by the Texas Alliance of Accredited Private Schools (TAAPS) and affiliated with PSIA, Duke University Talent Identification Program (TIP), STEM Education Coalition, and the Anti-Defamation League as a No Place for Hate campus. We are proud of our students exemplary standardized test scores, and encourage our parents to become involved in our PTO and PSIA competitions. Our summer camps are a great way to keep your mind sharp, have fun and meet new friends. GO ABERCROMBIE ARMADILLOS!
April 10, 2015

Posted April 13, 2015
My children attended Abercrombie for many years, until we had to leave because one graduated from 5th Grade. One of our daughters is now in the 7th grade and, through the Duke TIPS program, was able to write the SAT. Her reading and writing scores ranked her in the 50th percentile when ranked against outgoing Seniors - that is phenomenal!! The education she received at Abercrombie was a huge contributor to this success! There is a saying...'If you can read, you will always succeed' and Abercrombie has always developed GREAT readers. Thank you to Mrs Abercrombie and the entire teaching staff! Our daughters are well on their way to success and we appreciate your contribution to this success!! From: A former Abercrombie Parent

Posted March 26, 2015
My kids have been at Abercrombie now for 2 yrs (& will continue for a 3rd). We started when the old admin staff were in place. Initially we had no issues, our kids were happy and excelling. Upon the abrupt departure of the previous admin I came to realize their shortcomings. Immediately my husband & I took the initiative to become more involved with the school and to properly voice our concerns. I'm extremely happy with the new admin and principal. They continuously keep parents in the loop, PTO meetings have been set up and they are constantly striving to make our kids the best. Every school has it's ups and downs, but you know it's a strong school when the owners and principal are always smiling and get to know every student like they are their own child.
4 people found this helpful

Posted February 05, 2015
I am a grandmother of two students in the Pre-School. The teachers are WONDERFUL. The entire staff in the pre-school building are loving, caring and truly attend to each child's needs. Both of my grandchildren Love school because of Abercrombie's learning environment. It is Fun to learn with extra special classes like Music, computers, Spanish and P.E. Pre-K has field trips which are all done with learning and fun in mind. This is the second year my grandson has gone to Abercrombie and they are signed up for next year! We can't wait.

Posted November 14, 2014
This is my daughter's second year attending Abercrombie. We could not be happier with the education she is receiving. The administration and Abercrombie family have committed to developing an innovative and thorough curriculum. My Kindergartener is quickly outpacing her friends in the well known neighborhood public school. I highly recommend you look into Abercrombie if you are interested in the advantages a private school education can provide your child.

Posted August 25, 2014
I know it is just the beginning of the school year but I have been so pleased with the school and its transfer back to the Abercrombie family without any major disruptions. My children have been attending Abercrombie for several years and I am really impressed with the faculty (many of whom are specialists) and the caring staff. I feel like Abercrombie is one of the best kept secrets in the Northwest Houston area and the lovely campus is tucked back in a residential area. Impressive standardized test scores last year so I know they are on the right track for a small private school. Also like they offer a variety of after school activities. My children and I are extremely pleased.

Posted May 12, 2014
My son has been in preschool and preK here in Abercrombie and we couldn't sing enough praises for Mrs Marsalis, Mrs Risdal and the rest of the team in the preschool building who nurtured the students like their own. My son loves going to school and has learnt so much from academics, to social skills and general knowledge. They organize fun activities and get parents involvement in field days, school performance and special lunches. I will be sending my son to K Abercrombie and transferring my 1st grader into Abercrombie in the next academic year. I believe as long as parents get involve, give constructive feedback and build good rapport with the team, this is the right school and environment for the kids. As for the plummeting student enrollment - this is quite possibly also due to the economy - in any case, a small class size means more one to one with your child!
2 people found this helpful

Abercrombie Academy 1

Posted May 10, 2014
The new owners of the past 3 years, which recently packed their bags and ran, drove the school into the ground. Student population plummeted - for the 2013-2014 year, grade K had about 6 kids, 2nd grade dropped to 9, 4th and fifth grades had about 4 and 5 kids. The newly hired teachers (grade 3, 5 and art) were fantastic, but none of the teachers know now if they will have a job for 2014-2015 year. The original owner's son has now taken over, the principal was fired, and other changes are in the works, but it will take the school years to recover, if it can. So many parents pulled their kids out this year, and many more are not planning to return. Hopefully the new administration will listen to what parents have to say and deal with the hard issues, and fire those who need to be fired, even it they have been with the school for many years. It's obvious that it's just not working!

Abercrombie Academy 4

Posted December 04, 2013
The teachers are great and so is the after school staff. The students must work hard (lots of classwork and homework) and learn quite a bit. Class sizes are quite small. The librarian/secretary is also great (not sure why she was criticized in another review). The after school programs are a mixed bag--lousy Spanish and computer programs, but good art, PE, and martial arts programs. The problem with the school is entirely with the administration--the principals and the headmaster. (This very small school has two principals and a headmaster. The headmaster is the owner and one of the principals is his daughter.) There is zero input sought from the parents about changes made to the curriculum or to school policies (the hot lunches are gone now and the uniform & backpack requirement is stricter, but with cheaply-made polyester shirts--bad for the kids, good for the school's finances), or how tuition is collected (through a 3rd party, with big late fees) or how many "half days" there should be. (The half days are great for the staff but terrible for the parents). But the teachers are dedicated and succeed despite the administrators. That's the best thing about Abercrombie.

Abercrombie Academy 2

Posted August 06, 2013
Abercrombie seems to be a school that does some things really well and others really poorly. The teachers at the school are excellent. From preschool to 5th Grade, the teachers are strong. They need more training for their specialties but mostly, they are great. The administration in the elementary building is terrible! The front office, from the secretary to the principal, are rude and seem to forget that the people are their customers. For a school that is shrinking in class size, no one seems to listen to parent concerns. Unless there are some changes, this school may close.

Posted February 12, 2013
My child attended Abercrombie for 2 years. I feel that because of this he was able to excel at his new school. He is currently GT in all his subjects and taking part in the Duke University TIP. His teachers at Abercrombie helped him thrive and learn, in education as well as socially. The teachers there are excellent and the academics are above schools in the surrounding area. From the core classes to the specials everything is taught with a much more detailed understanding than the basic principles. I have also witnessed the teachers and staff go over and above for students who may need extra help or even just a hug. They are all very caring and understanding. I would recommend this school to anyone looking for an outstanding private school in the Spring (and surrounding) area.

Abercrombie Academy