Spring, TX
Before care: Yes
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Effective April 21, 2014, the Abercrombie family regained full ownership of Abercrombie Academy. Abercrombie Academy prides itself with high academic standards, highly qualified and trained teaching staff and a small student/teacher ratio. We look forward to a wonderful 2014-2015 school year and continuing our traditions of hands-on learning, field trips and extracurricular activities that set our school apart. Go Abercrombie Armadillos!
August 25, 2014

Posted November 14, 2014
This is my daughter's second year attending Abercrombie. We could not be happier with the education she is receiving. The administration and Abercrombie family have committed to developing an innovative and thorough curriculum. My Kindergartener is quickly outpacing her friends in the well known neighborhood public school. I highly recommend you look into Abercrombie if you are interested in the advantages a private school education can provide your child.

Posted August 25, 2014
I know it is just the beginning of the school year but I have been so pleased with the school and its transfer back to the Abercrombie family without any major disruptions. My children have been attending Abercrombie for several years and I am really impressed with the faculty (many of whom are specialists) and the caring staff. I feel like Abercrombie is one of the best kept secrets in the Northwest Houston area and the lovely campus is tucked back in a residential area. Impressive standardized test scores last year so I know they are on the right track for a small private school. Also like they offer a variety of after school activities. My children and I are extremely pleased.

Posted May 12, 2014
My son has been in preschool and preK here in Abercrombie and we couldn't sing enough praises for Mrs Marsalis, Mrs Risdal and the rest of the team in the preschool building who nurtured the students like their own. My son loves going to school and has learnt so much from academics, to social skills and general knowledge. They organize fun activities and get parents involvement in field days, school performance and special lunches. I will be sending my son to K Abercrombie and transferring my 1st grader into Abercrombie in the next academic year. I believe as long as parents get involve, give constructive feedback and build good rapport with the team, this is the right school and environment for the kids. As for the plummeting student enrollment - this is quite possibly also due to the economy - in any case, a small class size means more one to one with your child!

Abercrombie Academy 1

Posted May 10, 2014
The new owners of the past 3 years, which recently packed their bags and ran, drove the school into the ground. Student population plummeted - for the 2013-2014 year, grade K had about 6 kids, 2nd grade dropped to 9, 4th and fifth grades had about 4 and 5 kids. The newly hired teachers (grade 3, 5 and art) were fantastic, but none of the teachers know now if they will have a job for 2014-2015 year. The original owner's son has now taken over, the principal was fired, and other changes are in the works, but it will take the school years to recover, if it can. So many parents pulled their kids out this year, and many more are not planning to return. Hopefully the new administration will listen to what parents have to say and deal with the hard issues, and fire those who need to be fired, even it they have been with the school for many years. It's obvious that it's just not working!

Abercrombie Academy 4

Posted December 04, 2013
The teachers are great and so is the after school staff. The students must work hard (lots of classwork and homework) and learn quite a bit. Class sizes are quite small. The librarian/secretary is also great (not sure why she was criticized in another review). The after school programs are a mixed bag--lousy Spanish and computer programs, but good art, PE, and martial arts programs. The problem with the school is entirely with the administration--the principals and the headmaster. (This very small school has two principals and a headmaster. The headmaster is the owner and one of the principals is his daughter.) There is zero input sought from the parents about changes made to the curriculum or to school policies (the hot lunches are gone now and the uniform & backpack requirement is stricter, but with cheaply-made polyester shirts--bad for the kids, good for the school's finances), or how tuition is collected (through a 3rd party, with big late fees) or how many "half days" there should be. (The half days are great for the staff but terrible for the parents). But the teachers are dedicated and succeed despite the administrators. That's the best thing about Abercrombie.

Abercrombie Academy 2

Posted August 06, 2013
Abercrombie seems to be a school that does some things really well and others really poorly. The teachers at the school are excellent. From preschool to 5th Grade, the teachers are strong. They need more training for their specialties but mostly, they are great. The administration in the elementary building is terrible! The front office, from the secretary to the principal, are rude and seem to forget that the people are their customers. For a school that is shrinking in class size, no one seems to listen to parent concerns. Unless there are some changes, this school may close.

Posted February 12, 2013
My child attended Abercrombie for 2 years. I feel that because of this he was able to excel at his new school. He is currently GT in all his subjects and taking part in the Duke University TIP. His teachers at Abercrombie helped him thrive and learn, in education as well as socially. The teachers there are excellent and the academics are above schools in the surrounding area. From the core classes to the specials everything is taught with a much more detailed understanding than the basic principles. I have also witnessed the teachers and staff go over and above for students who may need extra help or even just a hug. They are all very caring and understanding. I would recommend this school to anyone looking for an outstanding private school in the Spring (and surrounding) area.

Abercrombie Academy 1

Posted September 22, 2012
Well my last review in 2011 is no longer here so I will repost with more info. My son attended in 2010. We foond the teacher was very un-approachable as though she felt she was better than anyone else. The staff I believe really cares MUCH more about the school than the children. This is not the scholol for parents that want a "working partnership" between school and parents. This year my son opened up more about his experience at aercrombie and I am sick to my stomach that we took him there everyday. He was treated disrespectful and humiliated by teh teachers for a handicap. If we had know and were still living in Houston I would have been suing them, not for money but to pull the accredition so other children would not be subject to the staff. Maybe if you are wealthy and can contribute additional money to teh school beyond teh tuuition, you may have a better relationship. Bottom line is they are a BUSINESS for money, not children.

Posted January 14, 2011
My child attended pre-k and kindergarten at Abercrombie until we moved away. It's one of the better private schools in the Spring area. His main teachers were experienced, kind and gentle but firm with the kids. My child left kindergarten a very strong reader and ahead in math. Half the class would go to an elective, such as computer and half the class would stay for reading. With 6 kids, his teacher would listen to each one read and note down where the child needed help. My child later attended an extremely competitive school where he was near the top of the class in reading and spelling and I think going to Abercrombie was a big reason why. The only drawback I found at Abercrombie was art class- I think mainly because of the teacher. My child told me the art teacher would frequently get mad and yell at the kids. Other than that, we loved this school.

Abercrombie Academy 3

Posted August 26, 2010
I have had a child at this school for 2 years. They did not go back this year. The staff lacks the ability to communicate with parents effectively. Also, I read the now somehow deleted negative review by the parent back in April 2010. Right on the money about several issues at this school. Mrs Abercrombie is wonderful with the children. Some of her lower grade teachers need to remember that they are adults and behave as such. Last year one of the teachers for one of my children was embarrassed of their active energy in ART so she told them to put heads on the desks and she threatened to hit their desks so hard with a ruler they would go deaf if she heard a peep out of them. NOT WHAT I WAS PAYING FOR! IMMATURE!

Abercrombie Academy