Stewarts Creek Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 452 students

Living in The Colony

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $185,600. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,170.

Posted Friday, August 15, 2014

The principal Mr. Cockerham is trying very hard to turn the school around, but it's going to be difficult to encourage all the teachers and most importantly - the PARENTS! We would attend class PTA meeting where no more than 3-4 parents would show up, very sad! the test scores continue to reflect the student population of this blue collared neighborhood.

Posted February 25, 2014

This school is HORRIBLE. I will be taking my child out and to another school as soon as this year is complete. I would do it immediately but I would prefer my child completing the year and starting fresh. Not to mention teaching her to follow through. Communication is HORRIBLE, whether it be between teacher/parent, teacher/student, office/parent, principle/parent...communication is clearly something NONE (teachers and office) know about. If you have concerns, or hear, or even see something yourself that shouldn't take place....if you bring it up, it's nothing but excuses. They say "we'll work on that", but that's a lie. I've heard it more than once, more than three times and it continues. I have heard NUMEROUS times that teachers down talk the children. With the way I have been spoken to, it does NOT surprise me. Office staff seems to be flat out MISERABLE!! Never enthusiastic, seem to hate their job. You can walk in the office and stand there for a minute before you're recognized or acknowledged. Needs A LOT more upbeat and fun things for students to do....MORE HANDS ON!! Make the suggest and it's just shrugged off! My only advise, do check ratings at schools, ratings tell a lot!

Posted October 15, 2013

There is such a lack of communication here in this school!!! Front office people never seem happy and never address you when you walk in. There has been some "issues" with my child, and when I have tried to address them with the teacher you pretty much get a "I'm only here for my paycheck I really don't care about your childs needs" attitude. I've talked to a few other teachers and they have all directed me to somebody else to handle the problem. Yet when I leave my name and number, emails and voicemails NOBODY ever calls back!!! Its SO frustrating when you are trying to address a problem and handle it nicely and go through the correct chain of commands and nobody seems to care! The people at the school actually seem to become more irritated when you are involved with your child's education! I am SO through with this school and pulling my children out! My advice would be to actually hire teachers and staff that actually care about the children's education and welfare. And be happy that some parents actually want to be involved and help.

Posted August 22, 2013

Everyone was very helpful. I was skeptical after I read the previous reviews about this school but the teachers are very friendly and welcoming.

Posted June 4, 2013

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm THRILLED that my son will be OUT of this HORRIBLE school, and that we are moving to another school district. This is the third year the principal has been there and it's evident that under his leadership it's gone nowhere but down. For a once "Exemplary" school to slip to "Acceptable" status under new leadership is ridiculous. The front office staff is rude and completely unorganized, as is the rest of the administrative staff. Clear communication is sorely lacking. As a parent whose child was a first-time student, I'm so disappointed and frustrated with his first year of school. His teacher was great, but the rest of the stuff - completely awful. I would never, ever, EVER recommend this school, call it a "good school," or speak highly of this school, our experience was so bad. I knew from the time I enrolled my child, when I heard a teacher berating her students in the classroom next door, that this was going to be a bad experience and I should have fought for my transfer. So glad that we will be in another school district next year so he won't have to suffer with such a poor learning environment again!

Posted February 4, 2013

DO NOT SEND YOUR CHILDREN TO THIS SCHOOL!!!!! My children are treated poorly. Today my son was "lost" and they thought it was a laughing matter. I DO NOT THINK SO!!! A child with Autism who is left in the care of someone who he does not know is not a laughing matter. He was almost put on a bus, which he has NEVER rode on for the entire year. WTH??? I am so beyond fed up with this school it is unreal. I am about to pack shop and move to a better school where I know he will be treated better and SAFER!!!

Posted August 24, 2012

Had a chance to work in this school this past summer (2012), and the Principal is an A+ man with a vision. School is old, but has charm and they keep it clean. Besides, older schools have class! They offer many programs for an elementary school too! Most of the reviews here need to be more postive to foster a better community feel for their local schools that work so hard to educate the kids. GO STALLIONS, and best wishes in 2012/13!!!!

Posted August 5, 2012

Every day when my child back home and I asked about the day in her school (PK), she answer -The teacher was busy talking with other teacher and chewing gum. So, no matter what the kids are just three hours, the teacher have to put 100% attention in their classmate.

Posted April 10, 2012

We are very pleased with Stewart's Creek. We were transferred there due to rezoning. We were very skeptical at first. Our daughter also had a difficult time transitioning.However, her teachers and the Principal have been readily available to discuss any questions or concerns. The principal is enthusiastic and knowledgeable regarding current trends and research in education. He also takes pride in relating this information to the teaching team. I work in Early Childhood Education. I plan classroom management programs and have helped implement a developing the "whole child" approach to preschool curriculum. This school "gets it"! Their top priority is ensuring that every child feels that they have accomplished something positive each day. We are no longer skeptics.... we are Stewart's Creek Stallions!

Posted February 1, 2012

This is the worst school in The Colony! I am looking into home schooling my child. The teachers are very rude. The principal seems not to care at all. I woud never recommend this school to any of my friends or family. I would tell them to run scream the other way. They still have not done anything about the bullying issue. horrible communication issue between staff. JUST PLAN HORRIBLE SCHOOL OVER ALL!

Posted January 11, 2012

There were a few things about this school that bother me. One it is an old building, which isn't bad, it's just dirty. I don't know how else to say it...just dirty. Another thing is that the teachers' morale is horrible. They don't smile when they pass you in the hallway or go out of their way to be friendly in the hallway when you are lost. The front office staff is just plain rude. The principle is very nice and is really trying to turn things around here. The problem is that the teachers complain that he micromanages and they resent the change. Parent involvement is horrible. To the point that it was just like pulling teeth to get info from the teacher about what was going on. She flat out said that she is just not used to a parent wanting to know all this stuff. Some faculty members have even pulled their own children out. We stayed as long as we could, but my initial gut feeling just never went away. It just wasn't for us.

Posted January 6, 2012

Stewarts Creek is the absolute GREATEST school, as a mother of 3 Ive had lots of school experiences and if all schools were ran as well as this one there would never be an issue with comfort. The principles, staff and teachers have been supportive of all my children and have been extra caring with my ADHD/PTSD child. They have went above and beyond to help insure a great education is recieved.I would recommend this school to everyone that once their child to have the best education.Money at a private school or another public school couldnt offer what Stewarts Creek offers their students.I would vote this the best school in not just Texas but the nation. If your looking for greatness look no further than Stewarts Creek Elementary..They are the BEST

Posted October 7, 2011

This is one of the worse schools I have ever encountered. The principal is incapabile of speaking honestly and direct to situations as well as the assistant principle. The district reps have no interest in speaking with parents or addressing issues which helps to explain why the school operates as it does. I would not recommend anyone looking at relocating to The Colony, Tx move into the district of this school. Leadership and organization is poor, communication is rare and inaccurate and there is no real concern for working with parents as it relates to students.

Posted June 28, 2010

This school is very unorganized and the office staff seems to have anger issues. The good thing about this school is that school seems to be very secure. You have to have a teacher let you in past the front office to get into the actual school. All other doors are locked.

Posted June 25, 2010

Stewart's Creek has developed into an impressive school over the past few years. The 2009-2010 school year resulted in SCE being an Exemplary school due to the amazing job of the teachers, staff and students. The kids are receiving a solid education which is all any parent could ask for. The school offers several extracurricular activities for the students including choir, environmental club, chess club, art club and bluebonnet reading club. My children are also part of the LEAP program for gifted and talented children where they use their creative minds to the fullest extent. SCE is a wonderful school.

Posted December 1, 2008

I hate this school! The office staff and principals are horrible to deal with and all have the attitude that they dont even like kids!

Posted February 22, 2008

I have had my kids in Stewart Creek for 3 years, and each year the school is becoming worse and worse. Since Mrs. Land has become principal she makes the school like a prison for the kids and parents. The office staff is very unfriendly and does not even greet you or acknowledge you when you come in and if you ask for email address or direct number for your child's teacher they will refuse to give that too you. I continue to ask for help for my kids and every year I am refused and they would rather your children fail and lose their self esteem before they will consider helping your kids. I am considering trying to move or pull my children from this school. The teachers my kids have had have been great but administration is difficult and unfriendly. LISD should seriously evaluate the administration.

Posted January 10, 2008

My son had been in this school since kindergarten but we pulled him out this year. We always had outstanding teachers until last year. Communications seems to be a major problem and the staff all seems angry.

Posted December 12, 2007

My family has been involved with Stewarts Creek for 4 years now and we are very pleased with the overall progress that seems to be taking place here. The teachers are great and care about the children very much. We have had nothing but great experiences with the staff. This is our final year at Stewarts Creek as our youngest will be attending Middle School next year. We will miss everyone.

Posted September 11, 2007

I would like to say that Stewarts Creek Elementary is an excellent school that encourages children to learn. I moved to the neighborhood that is with in the schools boundries because I had heard many good things about the school.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 89% in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2011.

48 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 88% in 2011.

48 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 90% in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 82% in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 87% in 2011.

All Students93%

Not special education74%
Proficient in English81%
Non-migrant72%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 79% in 2013.

61 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 72% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 68% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 71% in 2013.

61 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 75% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 73% in 2013.

All Students77%

Proficient in English68%
Non-migrant64%
Non-Gifted62%

Source: Texas Education Agency

• In 2010-2011, this school was rated "Academically Acceptable".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Exemplary".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Recognized".

Asian or Pacific Islander 4% 4%

• ERIC COCKERHAM
Fax number
  • (972) 350-9145

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

4431 Augusta Street