Deretchin Elementary School

Public | PK-6 | 1165 students

Posted June 10, 2014

Incredible teachers make this school a warm, loving, and exceptional school!! I have 2 children there now and couldn't be happier. The teachers truly care about the students and the administration is welcoming and approachable to parents. Wonderful school!

Posted May 14, 2014

This school is terrible and definitely not a 10. My children have been to different schools and I have never had an experience like the one I've had with Deretchin. My child takes the test (benchmarks/Staar) and always scores above average on everything, yet barely seems to pass the class. Homework grades are not an issue. The problem happens as soon as my child is in the teacher's care.. How can a child be present in class and yet make zeros on assignments? I think the teacher's just don't care about the students and they just show up for their paycheck. They never reach out to discuss what is going on, even after constant attempts on my part. I agree this school is definitely a "confidence crusher." I wish I never moved into this school's district.

Posted April 3, 2014

We have been in the school district for eight years. The Woodlands schools are pretty good as far as test scores and where ranking academics are concerned. Deretchin is the worst elementary school if you have kids with any learning disability including, ADD, ADHD, dyslexia, or just minor issues such as retaining information and processing. If your child is brilliant and self motivated, by all means go to Deretchin. These types of kids fit into their box great. Deretchin focuses on their rigid rules and structure in their classrooms and loads the kids up on homework and busywork. The children learn through abnormal amounts of paperwork rather than through teacher instruction. We have had 4 children go to Deretchin. We have found that if we can just survive Deretchin, with confidence intact, the middle school is such a better experience and the children excel. Deretchin is a confidence crusher. It is really sad. I used to think that I was the only one who felt this way. Probably 9 out of 10 parents I talk to have the same opinion. We are all overwhelmed and unsatisfied and our children are stressed and not well educated....But our standardized test scores are exceptional.

Posted February 19, 2014

My 4 children have all gone through this school and I must say that I am happy to only have one year left. The leadership of this school has gone downhill since the current administration took over. I have watched as numerous teachers have left this building. Don't get me wrong.....the majority of the teachers are outstanding and have all taken care of my babies! However the teachers can't have any individuality at this school and quit frankly they don't seem to be happy at all! The building is not welcoming and there is a very stale feel as you walk through the halls. Lunch is a complete joke and the upper grades are treated as if they are 5 years old. I would welcome Mrs. Jones back to that school in a heartbeat.....kids mattered.....now the school seems to be driven by scores and getting ESL kids to excel. Such a disappointment.....I have watched many transfer out to private schools in the last 2-3 years....

Posted January 29, 2014

My three children have attended this school for four years, and my youngest is now a fifth grader. I have been very impressed with all of our teachers throughout the years. They are very well prepared in the classroom, professional in every way and caring toward students. I trust their opinions. I see every day that they absolutely want the best for the children and work hard to make that happen. Teachers are the heart of this school.

Posted January 28, 2014

Teachers I've met at Deretchin have been fantastic, unfortunately they are leaving this school due to lack of leadership and the incompetence of the principal. This is my daughters last year, I've seen this school go from one of the best in the areas to the worst. I would consider a different area if I had childern just entering this school.

Posted August 20, 2013

I have been very impressed by the teachers at Deretchin. I have 3 children there, and the improvements I have seen in them after coming from another distict have been astonishing. I have yet to have a single teacher that didn't make my child feel special. That said, yes the class size is way to big, but I think that is a problem we need to address at the polls! I agree, too that the testing and pressure is ridiculous! Don't know why, I'm guessing that's not a teacher issue.

Posted August 10, 2013

My child has completed kindergarten and first grade at Deretchin. As a parent, I have had only positive experiences with this school. The teachers we have had, the front office staff, nurse, principals and other staff members have made our time there exceptional. My child is thriving at Deretchin and has become an amazing reader over the last two years. So much of the testing and homework requirements are mandated by the state legislature, so I don't think the school or district should be taken to task for it. I will say that the school does a great job of carrying out state mandates, which they are legally required to do, and of following all rules and regulations. Within that structure, I still feel that students are treated as individuals and supported and loved by the staff. Grade-level special performances that the students do each year are fabulous. The art/music/pe teachers are amazing. Field trips and other special events like Field Day, Deretchin Goes Global, Fall Family Fun Night, Storybook Parade and the Turkey Trot, to name a few, require and receive a high level of parent involvement and support. The PTO is well-organized and very active. In short, we love Deretchin!

Posted July 25, 2013

My daughter only attended the 6th grade here and maybe coming from Katy school district I was a bit harsh, but I did not care for this elementary And had several teachers quit during her year here so I don't know if the principal is the best or not...

Posted May 30, 2013

This school is rated a 10 by great schools only due to their high test scores. High test scores often come at a great price to the children. My child had a difficult time dealing with all the rigidity and excessive homework and testing for early elementary school. My child became unhappy here because he was constantly worried about being held back because he would not pass the standardized tests. We tried unsuccessfully to work with the teachers, principal, and counselor. Now my child is thriving in another school that does not have as high of a rating by Great Schools.

Posted May 16, 2013

The teachers are amazing, but I am very worried all the good ones are leaving. Why??

Posted April 30, 2013

The School as gone from the highest rated schools in The Woodlands to the worst, ever since the previous principal left. I've had 2 children in this school and close friends who have taught there and would move to a different school if I didn't have only a couple months of this new principal. She is very inexperienced and does not listen to her own staff or parents, which is why so many teachers have left that school since she started. If you're moving to the area, it's a great location but consider a different school or private, Deretchin Management is very bad.

Posted January 8, 2013

Nice until you need something. As long as you (parents too) "stay in line" and don't need anything, you will surmise that Deretchin is a "great" school. It looks great and has plenty of money and programs. It is ridiculously overcrowded, as are many schools in good areas. But we have appreciated the efforts and friendship of many good teachers there. The administration is very smiley and nice but very intimidating, coercive and defensive toward parents who ask questions or make requests.

Posted November 28, 2012

My child has attended Deretchin Elementary for some time now and let me just say that since day one it has been a complete nightmare. The staff is completely unprofessional and have the worst communication I have ever seen. I fully understand and respect the need to follow rules, but the staff doesn't seem to understand, "It's not what you say, it's how you say it." We are counting the days until we are out of there. I wouldn't recommend this school to anyone, unless you like being constantly harassed, threatened, and mistreated.

Posted September 13, 2012

We moved to The Woodlands, from another Houston suburb, mostly due to the reputation of the schools here. My daughter is in Kindergarten and has had a very positive experience. Her teacher communicates with the parents via e-mail nearly every other day and responds quickly when I have a question. Her teacher provided all of the parents access to a neat online web site for e-books. They do hands-on science quite a bit, which is impressive. They also get to play on the playground and/or have gym everyday, which I think is extremely important for the children. They have music and art as well. I have heard the others teachers are just as great as the teacher my daughter has, which is wonderful to hear that we will have many years to come of a positive learning environment. I have noticed the kids at her school seem to be sweet and well mannered. When I drop her off in the morning, the 6th grade helpers always say hi to me with a smile and tell me to have a good day. Earlier in the school year, they would walk her to her class until she became comfortable with finding her classroom. The parents and the teachers have both done an amazing job with all of the children.

Posted August 29, 2012

I am very pleased with Deretchin Elementary. Mrs. Catherine Meyer and Mrs. Bacon are exceptional. My son progressed tremendously in their classes. He has never been happier.

Posted March 19, 2012

My son attended special ed at Deretchin and I thought it was great until we moved to another city and saw how special education should be. At Deretchin it was practically one on one for him, but in hindsight I see really not very much was being done with all the time and attention they had except noting a bruise on his leg and calling me "before we call cps". We are now in San Antonio in a fantastic school district and they are using adaptive equipment, ABA therapy, they bring in specialist to evaluate him, and the teacher emails me almost on a daily basis to give me updates. It seems that Conroe ISD is so well funded but has too much time on their hands

Posted March 18, 2012

As a past student, and looking back on my years there, I find that Deretchin was a pretty bad school. If there is such a thing as a school have too much money, Deretchin has it. One of the APs dresses as a dragon. I feel really sorry for the 5 & 6 graders still there.

Posted December 2, 2011

My child has been at Deretchin going on 5 years now. We have been blessed with amazing teachers at Deretchin. As with ALL public schools in Texas, they do focus curriculum around TAKS testing. I have been an active PTO member as well, that allows me to play an active role in my child's education as well. Despite its 3 star rating, Deretchin is considered by most one of the better schools in the Woodlands and CISD.

Posted May 12, 2011

Too great an emphasis placed on TAKS testing. School is too big -- entire grade levels are crammed onto inadequate playground space. Lunch times start as early as 10:30 in order to accommodate all the children. We have been there for 4 years and have had some wonderful teachers, but they can only do so much when they are forced to teach to the tests.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 89% in 2011.

179 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2011.

182 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2011.

153 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 88% in 2011.

155 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 90% in 2011.

152 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 82% in 2011.

150 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2011.

151 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 87% in 2011.

148 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 84% in 2011.

180 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2011.

181 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Male98%

Limited English proficient (LEP)90%
Proficient in English96%
Not migrant96%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 79% in 2013.

172 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

167 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 72% in 2013.

202 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 68% in 2013.

194 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 71% in 2013.

200 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

190 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 75% in 2013.

178 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 73% in 2013.

179 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 71% in 2013.

173 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2013.

167 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 78% in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 97% in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 85% in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 84% in 2013.

English I Reading

The state average for English I Reading was 65% in 2013.

English I Writing

The state average for English I Writing was 48% in 2013.

English II Reading

The state average for English II Reading was 78% in 2013.

English II Writing

The state average for English II Writing was 52% in 2013.

English III Reading

The state average for English III Reading was 63% in 2013.

English III Writing

The state average for English III Writing was 42% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 86% in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 81% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 73% in 2013.

World Geography

The state average for World Geography was 75% in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 70% in 2013.

Black or African American86%

U.S. History

World Geography

World History

Source: Texas Education Agency

• In 2010-2011, this school was rated "Exemplary".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Exemplary".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Exemplary".

Asian or Pacific Islander 7% 4%

This school District averageState average
Beginning teachers 4%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Librarian/media specialist(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Fax number
  • (832) 592-8780

Level of special education programming offered
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered

Staff resources available to students
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)