The Woodlands, TX
Students enrolled: 1,165

Posted June 10, 2014
Incredible teachers make this school a warm, loving, and exceptional school!! I have 2 children there now and couldn't be happier. The teachers truly care about the students and the administration is welcoming and approachable to parents. Wonderful school!

Deretchin Elementary School 1

Posted May 14, 2014
This school is terrible and definitely not a 10. My children have been to different schools and I have never had an experience like the one I've had with Deretchin. My child takes the test (benchmarks/Staar) and always scores above average on everything, yet barely seems to pass the class. Homework grades are not an issue. The problem happens as soon as my child is in the teacher's care.. How can a child be present in class and yet make zeros on assignments? I think the teacher's just don't care about the students and they just show up for their paycheck. They never reach out to discuss what is going on, even after constant attempts on my part. I agree this school is definitely a "confidence crusher." I wish I never moved into this school's district.

Posted April 03, 2014
We have been in the school district for eight years. The Woodlands schools are pretty good as far as test scores and where ranking academics are concerned. Deretchin is the worst elementary school if you have kids with any learning disability including, ADD, ADHD, dyslexia, or just minor issues such as retaining information and processing. If your child is brilliant and self motivated, by all means go to Deretchin. These types of kids fit into their box great. Deretchin focuses on their rigid rules and structure in their classrooms and loads the kids up on homework and busywork. The children learn through abnormal amounts of paperwork rather than through teacher instruction. We have had 4 children go to Deretchin. We have found that if we can just survive Deretchin, with confidence intact, the middle school is such a better experience and the children excel. Deretchin is a confidence crusher. It is really sad. I used to think that I was the only one who felt this way. Probably 9 out of 10 parents I talk to have the same opinion. We are all overwhelmed and unsatisfied and our children are stressed and not well educated....But our standardized test scores are exceptional.
2 people found this helpful

Deretchin Elementary School 3

Posted February 19, 2014
My 4 children have all gone through this school and I must say that I am happy to only have one year left. The leadership of this school has gone downhill since the current administration took over. I have watched as numerous teachers have left this building. Don't get me wrong.....the majority of the teachers are outstanding and have all taken care of my babies! However the teachers can't have any individuality at this school and quit frankly they don't seem to be happy at all! The building is not welcoming and there is a very stale feel as you walk through the halls. Lunch is a complete joke and the upper grades are treated as if they are 5 years old. I would welcome Mrs. Jones back to that school in a heartbeat.....kids mattered.....now the school seems to be driven by scores and getting ESL kids to excel. Such a disappointment.....I have watched many transfer out to private schools in the last 2-3 years....

Posted January 29, 2014
My three children have attended this school for four years, and my youngest is now a fifth grader. I have been very impressed with all of our teachers throughout the years. They are very well prepared in the classroom, professional in every way and caring toward students. I trust their opinions. I see every day that they absolutely want the best for the children and work hard to make that happen. Teachers are the heart of this school.

Posted January 28, 2014
Teachers I've met at Deretchin have been fantastic, unfortunately they are leaving this school due to lack of leadership and the incompetence of the principal. This is my daughters last year, I've seen this school go from one of the best in the areas to the worst. I would consider a different area if I had childern just entering this school.

Posted August 20, 2013
I have been very impressed by the teachers at Deretchin. I have 3 children there, and the improvements I have seen in them after coming from another distict have been astonishing. I have yet to have a single teacher that didn't make my child feel special. That said, yes the class size is way to big, but I think that is a problem we need to address at the polls! I agree, too that the testing and pressure is ridiculous! Don't know why, I'm guessing that's not a teacher issue.

Posted August 10, 2013
My child has completed kindergarten and first grade at Deretchin. As a parent, I have had only positive experiences with this school. The teachers we have had, the front office staff, nurse, principals and other staff members have made our time there exceptional. My child is thriving at Deretchin and has become an amazing reader over the last two years. So much of the testing and homework requirements are mandated by the state legislature, so I don't think the school or district should be taken to task for it. I will say that the school does a great job of carrying out state mandates, which they are legally required to do, and of following all rules and regulations. Within that structure, I still feel that students are treated as individuals and supported and loved by the staff. Grade-level special performances that the students do each year are fabulous. The art/music/pe teachers are amazing. Field trips and other special events like Field Day, Deretchin Goes Global, Fall Family Fun Night, Storybook Parade and the Turkey Trot, to name a few, require and receive a high level of parent involvement and support. The PTO is well-organized and very active. In short, we love Deretchin!

Deretchin Elementary School 3

Posted July 25, 2013
My daughter only attended the 6th grade here and maybe coming from Katy school district I was a bit harsh, but I did not care for this elementary And had several teachers quit during her year here so I don't know if the principal is the best or not...

Posted May 30, 2013
This school is rated a 10 by great schools only due to their high test scores. High test scores often come at a great price to the children. My child had a difficult time dealing with all the rigidity and excessive homework and testing for early elementary school. My child became unhappy here because he was constantly worried about being held back because he would not pass the standardized tests. We tried unsuccessfully to work with the teachers, principal, and counselor. Now my child is thriving in another school that does not have as high of a rating by Great Schools.

Deretchin Elementary School
11000 Merit Oaks Drive, The Woodlands, TX  77354
Last modified Deretchin Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Deretchin Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 48 reviews. Top