Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Don't know (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very ineffective (1 response)

Deretchin Elementary School 1

Posted January 05, 2016
This school does not know how to handle special needs children. I had to remove my child due to the way he was being treatedl. He no longer wanted to go and would cry and refuse to go to school. Now that he is a new school he likes school again and is very happy.

Amount of homework: Don't know

Posted January 05, 2016
They didn't even give work at school...homework is a joke. I would be happy if they gave work during school hours.

Develops grit: Strongly disagree

Posted January 05, 2016
If you think locking a special needs child into a room and making them stay there all day without giving any kind of education.

Develops respect: Strongly disagree

Posted January 05, 2016
How can you respect anything when your told to tell lies and make things up. The staff was caught in many lies.

Develops empathy: Strongly disagree

Posted January 05, 2016
Absolutely not...they will make you think they do though. I would never even hire any of these people to babysit.

Deretchin Elementary School 5

Posted February 22, 2015
We have had nothing but positive experiences with Deretchin, our son loves his teacher and we couldn't be happier with the quality of education provided. All of the staff and teachers are professional and friendly and really care about their students!

Deretchin Elementary School 5

Posted June 10, 2014
Incredible teachers make this school a warm, loving, and exceptional school!! I have 2 children there now and couldn't be happier. The teachers truly care about the students and the administration is welcoming and approachable to parents. Wonderful school!

Deretchin Elementary School 1

Posted May 14, 2014
This school is terrible and definitely not a 10. My children have been to different schools and I have never had an experience like the one I've had with Deretchin. My child takes the test (benchmarks/Staar) and always scores above average on everything, yet barely seems to pass the class. Homework grades are not an issue. The problem happens as soon as my child is in the teacher's care.. How can a child be present in class and yet make zeros on assignments? I think the teacher's just don't care about the students and they just show up for their paycheck. They never reach out to discuss what is going on, even after constant attempts on my part. I agree this school is definitely a "confidence crusher." I wish I never moved into this school's district.

Deretchin Elementary School 2

Posted April 03, 2014
We have been in the school district for eight years. The Woodlands schools are pretty good as far as test scores and where ranking academics are concerned. Deretchin is the worst elementary school if you have kids with any learning disability including, ADD, ADHD, dyslexia, or just minor issues such as retaining information and processing. If your child is brilliant and self motivated, by all means go to Deretchin. These types of kids fit into their box great. Deretchin focuses on their rigid rules and structure in their classrooms and loads the kids up on homework and busywork. The children learn through abnormal amounts of paperwork rather than through teacher instruction. We have had 4 children go to Deretchin. We have found that if we can just survive Deretchin, with confidence intact, the middle school is such a better experience and the children excel. Deretchin is a confidence crusher. It is really sad. I used to think that I was the only one who felt this way. Probably 9 out of 10 parents I talk to have the same opinion. We are all overwhelmed and unsatisfied and our children are stressed and not well educated....But our standardized test scores are exceptional.

Deretchin Elementary School 3

Posted February 19, 2014
My 4 children have all gone through this school and I must say that I am happy to only have one year left. The leadership of this school has gone downhill since the current administration took over. I have watched as numerous teachers have left this building. Don't get me wrong.....the majority of the teachers are outstanding and have all taken care of my babies! However the teachers can't have any individuality at this school and quit frankly they don't seem to be happy at all! The building is not welcoming and there is a very stale feel as you walk through the halls. Lunch is a complete joke and the upper grades are treated as if they are 5 years old. I would welcome Mrs. Jones back to that school in a heartbeat.....kids mattered.....now the school seems to be driven by scores and getting ESL kids to excel. Such a disappointment.....I have watched many transfer out to private schools in the last 2-3 years....

11000 Merit Oaks Drive, The Woodlands, TX  77354
Last modified Deretchin Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Deretchin Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 55 reviews. Top