Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

This school does not know how to handle special needs children. I had to remove my child due to the way he was being treatedl. He no longer wanted to go and would cry and refuse to go to school. Now that he is a new school he likes school again and is very happy.

Amount of homework: no rating

They didn't even give work at school...homework is a joke. I would be happy if they gave work during school hours.

We have had nothing but positive experiences with Deretchin, our son loves his teacher and we couldn't be happier with the quality of education provided. All of the staff and teachers are professional and friendly and really care about their students!

Incredible teachers make this school a warm, loving, and exceptional school!! I have 2 children there now and couldn't be happier. The teachers truly care about the students and the administration is welcoming and approachable to parents. Wonderful school!

This school is terrible and definitely not a 10. My children have been to different schools and I have never had an experience like the one I've had with Deretchin. My child takes the test (benchmarks/Staar) and always scores above average on everything, yet barely seems to pass the class. Homework grades are not an issue. The problem happens as soon as my child is in the teacher's care.. How can a child be present in class and yet make zeros on assignments? I think the teacher's just don't care about the students and they just show up for their paycheck. They never reach out to discuss what is going on, even after constant attempts on my part. I agree this school is definitely a "confidence crusher." I wish I never moved into this school's district.

We have been in the school district for eight years. The Woodlands schools are pretty good as far as test scores and where ranking academics are concerned. Deretchin is the worst elementary school if you have kids with any learning disability including, ADD, ADHD, dyslexia, or just minor issues such as retaining information and processing. If your child is brilliant and self motivated, by all means go to Deretchin. These types of kids fit into their box great. Deretchin focuses on their rigid rules and structure in their classrooms and loads the kids up on homework and busywork. The children learn through abnormal amounts of paperwork rather than through teacher instruction. We have had 4 children go to Deretchin. We have found that if we can just survive Deretchin, with confidence intact, the middle school is such a better experience and the children excel. Deretchin is a confidence crusher. It is really sad. I used to think that I was the only one who felt this way. Probably 9 out of 10 parents I talk to have the same opinion. We are all overwhelmed and unsatisfied and our children are stressed and not well educated....But our standardized test scores are exceptional.

My 4 children have all gone through this school and I must say that I am happy to only have one year left. The leadership of this school has gone downhill since the current administration took over. I have watched as numerous teachers have left this building. Don't get me wrong.....the majority of the teachers are outstanding and have all taken care of my babies! However the teachers can't have any individuality at this school and quit frankly they don't seem to be happy at all! The building is not welcoming and there is a very stale feel as you walk through the halls. Lunch is a complete joke and the upper grades are treated as if they are 5 years old. I would welcome Mrs. Jones back to that school in a heartbeat.....kids mattered.....now the school seems to be driven by scores and getting ESL kids to excel. Such a disappointment.....I have watched many transfer out to private schools in the last 2-3 years....

My three children have attended this school for four years, and my youngest is now a fifth grader. I have been very impressed with all of our teachers throughout the years. They are very well prepared in the classroom, professional in every way and caring toward students. I trust their opinions. I see every day that they absolutely want the best for the children and work hard to make that happen. Teachers are the heart of this school.

Teachers I've met at Deretchin have been fantastic, unfortunately they are leaving this school due to lack of leadership and the incompetence of the principal. This is my daughters last year, I've seen this school go from one of the best in the areas to the worst. I would consider a different area if I had childern just entering this school.

I have been very impressed by the teachers at Deretchin. I have 3 children there, and the improvements I have seen in them after coming from another distict have been astonishing. I have yet to have a single teacher that didn't make my child feel special. That said, yes the class size is way to big, but I think that is a problem we need to address at the polls! I agree, too that the testing and pressure is ridiculous! Don't know why, I'm guessing that's not a teacher issue.

Last modified Deretchin Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.