Mitchell Intermediate School

Public | 5-6 | 1163 students

Posted April 14, 2014

Mitchell Intermediate is a fantastic school. The overall acedemic standrds are high; teachers, staff and students work very hard to meet these expectations. Mitchell has an outstanding family- friendly environment. Parents feel welcomed and are encouraged to be a part of their child's education. Students, parents, and visitors feel appreciated; this is an important key to success for all schools.

Posted April 7, 2014

This school has amazing different ways of teaching children. They teach them how to be independent and do their own work so those parents that are saying they don't remind them to turn their projects need to grow up your kids need to learn how to be independent because you won't be there for them forever it's also a great introduction to McC

Posted March 25, 2014

although I respect those opinions I have to strongly disagree. I was a previous student of Mitchell intermediate and I loved my LC (LC 8). In that LC I made many friends I still hold dear to my heart today. The work load at times was challenging there was no way I would have possibly been prepared for McCullough without going through what I did. With all do respect, stop babying your kids. You have to accept bullying is likely to happen in all schools and the teachers can't always be around to stop it. The woodlands is a highly poplulated area that's just going to keep growing to give the teachers a break they can't watch everyone at once. I was bullied briefly and I just had to learn to stand up for myself and it only made me stronger in the end. Sure some of the teachers aren't exemplary but the majority of them are. Of course you always have the option of homeschooling but homeschooling doesn't prepare your child for the real harsh realities of the world and the few homeschoolers I know are very sheltered and babied. They don't get the same kind of exposure I believe is essential to growing up. Yes, homeschoolers often finish school faster but they often cover the bare minimum.

Posted February 20, 2014

My 5th grader tells me the following about his math teacher: she eats during class, talks with the food in her mouth, sends and receives text messages while teaching. I have sent this math teacher several emails asking for clarification on certain matters. In every email response from her there are a least 2 significant spelling errors. My son tells me she often criticizes her students. He finds it difficult to accept criticism from a teacher he does not respect.

Posted February 17, 2014

Mitchell is by far the worst school to me that my kids have gone through. My 12 year old daughter has been getting bullied and of course no one has noticed. If you don't live in a home that's bigger than the next you are made fun of. Money money that's all the kids here seem to care about. If you don't have much of it sadly you won't be a "cool" kid. Just ridiculous!

Posted June 24, 2013

Everything stated is true and is not slander of any sort. It sounds to me like this review comes from someone on the inside and if it is from a parent - you must have bullies at home! Probably the over sized red shirted ones that were held back for a sports and academic advantage. If we liked living in the dog eat dog world with people talking behind our backs, we certainly would not have chosen to live in The Woodlands. You are darn right that I am entitled to my opinion and my review was mild considering my horrible experience.

Posted June 22, 2013

My three children, who have completely different learning styles excelled at Mitchell Intermediate. We were so impressed with he care shown by every staff member. anytime I had a question, I received an email or phone call immediately. I read every review on this site and find it sad that anyone can write whatever they want. That almost seems like slander. Yes, everyone has a right to their opinion. I am here to say that my children have been to elementary, intermediate, junior high and high school in The Woodlands, and hands down, their best experiences were at Mitchell. Mrs. Klapesky, as the school principal and visionary, has led an incredible staff of talented teachers. I appreciate what the school is doing to address disrespectful children. As we know, we deal with "mean people" our whole lives. Those playground bullies are now the same adults cutting your car off on the road or still gossiping about you in the neighborhood. We have to teach our children how to inform bullies that their behavior is inappropriate and that is doesn't bother them. That can only happen at home. It isn't the school's responsibility to shape behaviors. A BIG high five to Mitchell-an AWESOME school

Posted March 15, 2013

I have been very disappointed with this school - the teachers cannot teach - one quote, "this is math not logic so do it my way, not the way the book is telling you..." I have had to spend countless hours outside of school with my child teaching them the subject material in all four core subjects (I am doing the teachers' job). After numerous meetings, I find it is hopeless to get the attention of anyone that cares. The fine arts department is outstanding however, and is the one shining light in a dismal educational environment. The parent involvement is minimal as they prefer parents to stay uninvolved.

Posted February 23, 2012

I am very concerned about the bullying in 5th grade. It appears to still going on. My son has different looks, ethnic, than most of the students and I feel for this he is being picked on. The math teacher is horrible. She is not teaching. He started out well and his grades are decreasing. Parents have complained with no results. I feel they are overwhelmed due to classroom size and basically do not teach. The websites are not updated and the newsletter comes on Fridays after the lessons are already done. We are lost on the kids assignments and have a hard time understanding the homework. I hear that families are homeschooling and the kids are excelling. It is not worth my son suffering emotionally for the rest of his life. We will be homeschooling.

Posted September 13, 2011

This is a terrible school..WAY too large as all elementary schools feed into this middle school. Classes are out of control and teachers complain they cannot handle everything and this is why they say they do not have time to give parents feedback. Bullying is a huge problem...especially for boys. My son has been picked on mentally and physically for over a year and the teacher and principal turn their heads. Read previous older reviews and you will see this has been going on for years. Unfortunately I cannot afford private school, but most of my friends can, and therefore have switched to private and are now happy.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted October 4, 2010

I've had one child go through this school and presently have one in the 6th grade. It has been a true blessing and answer to prayers to have my kids attend this school. The teachers and admin truly care and look out for the children. Both kids are 504 and the care and level of education that they receive from Mitchell is the highest of quality. The LC experience , though at first concerned me ended up being absolute genius. The teachers get to know the kids and the way they learn and "customize the experience with that individual child." I Cant say enough good things about the time spend at Mitchell and LC&6. My only regreat is this will be the last year I have a child there. J. Wideman

Posted October 21, 2008

The school is wonderful with all of it's teachers. My student is in LC 2 and we love it there... Improved grades from last year, such nice teachers... They go above and beyond.

Posted June 1, 2008

I have mixed feelings about this school. The G/T program is nothing more than assigning extra work for the child which is truly disappointing. Also, just like all the other schools in The Woodlands, teachers are pressured by admin. to teach to the TAKS. The goal is to obtain or retain an exemplary rating. This is nothing new and we all know it happens across the state. Furthermore, the school tries to keep parental involvement to a minimum unless one is part of the PTA which is somewhat perplexing......these children are in 5th/6th grade! On the other hand, the teachers, at least the ones we've had contact with, seem to be concerned with the child's academic progress and overall well being. The principal is outstanding and quick to address questions or concerns. The fine arts program is top notch. Bottom line: There is good and bad anywhere.

Posted May 20, 2008

The BULLIES are out of control! Mitchell's bullying prevention PowerPoint is a very ineffective way to stop the harassment. The administration needs to look beyond the PowerPoint and personally supervise the LC classroom exchanges and playground time. Unfortunately, these areas have become the breeding grounds for the bullies. Reducing bullying in our schools reflects an improved school environment that is friendly and welcoming to all students. In schools where children feel protected from bullying, they are free to spend their days learning, building friendships, and dreaming about all the possibilities for their lives, but not here at Mitchell. In contrast, we cannot say enough great things about Mitchell's hard-working counselors and teachers. They are quick to respond positively and are genuinely concerned about all issues related to our child. Our teachers keep us updated with daily assignment websites and send constant schedule and project e-mail reminders. Tip: 'Parents Get Involved!'.

Posted March 7, 2008

The LCs do not keep up with the website postings for the kids homework and progress reports. They depend on this system, but yet do not maintain it. It is very frustrating and has made it very difficult for my wife and I to manage. We have made several complaints about this and we get the 'we do our best' and 'we try to teach kids to be responsible for their own schedule'. Its easy if you have an organized child - but if you need to help your child stay on top of things, the school sets you up for failure. In my opinion this one downfall ruins the reputation of this school. The teachers are very good other than that and overall we are happy with the school.

Posted March 3, 2008

Mitchell is the worse school in the Woodlands. It is too large so they have broken the school up into learning communities (LC). Each LC has approximately 100 students. The four teachers focus on study habits the first two months of school with excessive planner checks, and complex multi-week projects. They do not remind the students it is due and expect Germanic like precision of 10 year olds in researching, planning, and composing the project. They expect this with no in school work on how to develop these skills. God help the househlods with two working parents and a non-academic background. Additionally, while they inflict this high standard on the students, they are virtually always behind in keeping up with the teacher assignment websites, and glacially slow in responding to questions when asked via email. Even when asked for a parent teacher conference, the teachers delayed two weeks. AVOID Mitchell. Homeschool.

Posted December 4, 2007

Teach the test seems to be their one goal here. Very focused on retaining an exemplary rating on their TAKS testing rather than creating a true learning environment. Kids are grouped into LCs (learning communities) of about 200 students each in an attempt to overcome the problems of a campus that is too big.

Posted November 29, 2007

So far, I am not impressed with my 5th grader's experience at Mitchell. My A/B child's grades are plummeting and the teacher's seem much more interested in cookie-cutter rules than in teaching. They do not update their own parent access websites and that makes it very hard for me to help my son be successful. The first semester seemed geared to forcing ten year olds to learn good study habits - something they didn't particularly need in elementary school. Teacher communication is a real struggle. I've waited two weeks for a response to my request for a conference. I want my child to be excited about learning!

Posted November 27, 2007

G/T is ignored. Our student has been tested and allowed to accelerate a year in math, but there is no communication with the parents regarding this - almost like they are embarrassed. All other course offerings for our g/t student are not tailored at all to a g/t student. Our g/t kids are taught using the same methods as any other student...just a little more advanced material. That just doesn't work. Teachers seem to focus on trying to engineer these kids socially and have removed almost all 'fun' from their day. 10 min recess is all the time they have to socialize freely. Teachers focus on red tape, not learning. Fine arts program is excellent and gives our student a reason to come to school - other than that they hate it!

Posted January 8, 2007

I have had two children attend Mitchell Intermediate. It has been the same with both of them. The fine arts program is excellent, but that is all that is good about it. The teachers do not know how to teach gifted and talented children. They have no idea how to discipline bullies, and really make no attempt to. Their elementary school was really wonderful, Mitchell is really not a good place to be, and completely lacking in comparison.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 82% in 2011.

603 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2011.

606 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 87% in 2011.

601 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 84% in 2011.

641 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2011.

633 students were tested at this school in 2011.

All Students99%

White99%
Economically disadvantaged80%
Special education91%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

565 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 75% in 2013.

567 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 73% in 2013.

566 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 71% in 2013.

634 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2013.

629 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 78% in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 97% in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 85% in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 84% in 2013.

English I Reading

The state average for English I Reading was 65% in 2013.

English I Writing

The state average for English I Writing was 48% in 2013.

English II Reading

The state average for English II Reading was 78% in 2013.

English II Writing

The state average for English II Writing was 52% in 2013.

English III Reading

The state average for English III Reading was 63% in 2013.

English III Writing

The state average for English III Writing was 42% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 86% in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 81% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 73% in 2013.

World Geography

The state average for World Geography was 75% in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 70% in 2013.

Black or African American91%

U.S. History

World Geography

World History

Source: Texas Education Agency

• In 2010-2011, this school was rated "Exemplary".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Exemplary".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Exemplary".

Asian or Pacific Islander 6% 4%

Teacher experience

This school District averageState average
Beginning teachers 2%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

6800 Alden Bridge Drive