No rating

The John Cooper School

Private | PK-12

Living in The Woodlands

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $256,300. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,100.

Posted June 22, 2014

The John Cooper School is EXCELLENT. Our daughter has been a student there since kindergarten and she absolutely loves the school and her teachers. The environment is warm and welcoming and the resources are second to none. If you live in The Woodlands metro, it is common knowledge that Cooper is the premier school in the area. My husband and I are both attended Ivy League colleges and feel confident that our daughter will be well prepared for to attend any top caliber college based upon her Cooper education.

Posted June 18, 2014

This school is the worst. I recommend you look somewhere else. JCS has been the worst years of my life. The kids are horrible. Many of the teachers don't do their jobs. The spanish teachers are terrible! The school teaches the same education but makes everyone believe they're being taught higher. This makes the students then think they're superior. The tuiton is not worth it. The small amount of kids in each grade is annoying. There's a reason why no one would go to JCS. They don't win anything either. This school is overpriced and HORRIBLE... If you are moving to The Woodlands do NOT even consider this school.

Posted May 17, 2014

They say admission is competitive on their website. During the admissions we were asked how much money we are willing to contribute to the school above and beyond already high tuition. No surprise the rich kids get accepted, if you are from average income family, the competition is in affluent folk's favor.

Posted March 2, 2014

Like most schools, this one has great features and some not so great. For the tuition level, there shouldn't be so many not so great features. One of the recent hire teachers in the high school does not even know some of the material being taught (tells the students to go ask the other teacher if they have a question she can't answer!) The administrative staff treat you like you are wasting their time if you have a question. Definitely not a warm/fuzzy place.

Posted October 4, 2012

Good basic education....but not as nurturing as need be....would think very carefully before sending my children again.....

Posted July 28, 2012

FYI they will have this review removed, they removed my last review. Go anywhere else but here four terrible years.

Posted June 23, 2012

overpriced, staff are rude and didnt think that matched up to qualifications. I expected more. My child doesnt want to go to school everyday,I want a loving nurturing environment.

Posted January 23, 2012

I am ONLY rating the summer academic program at JC (but my child's summer program teachers were full-time teachers during the school year there as well). My child is in all pre-AP classes and mkaes straight A's in Klein ISD. She took grammar, intro-algebra, and a speed reading course just to get a jump start on her 8th grade year. She complained a little about going at the time, but 6 months later, just out of the blue at dinner she said, "JC had some great teachers. I learned more in summer than I learned all year in Klein. I want to go back next summer. I wish we could afford to go there full time"

Posted May 21, 2011

I am surprised to hear that someone can hate this school. I am sorry to here you had a bad experience. My son has had an amazing first year. The teachers and administration have been so open and available to our family. The academics are dynamic and from speaking to other parents at other schools JCS challenges the children even at a young age. Anyone who is interested in this school should speak to parents and students. I had an intuitive feeling it was the best choice for my son and our family.

Posted April 3, 2011

I graduate from the John Cooper School and this has literally been the four most terrible years of my life. I would never wish this experience upon anyone. The children AND the parents are awful and extremely full of themselves. I've been a student since the lower school and even that is falling apart. You are now paying for a public school education if you attend this school. Teachers need to retire or get revamped in the near future because this school is going down the drain. Even when students/parents talk to the dean or principal about particular teachers, nothing is done to improve the situation. Overall, I have had a terrible four year experience. The only redeeming quality is the college counseling, but you can find a strong college counseling program at a better school. I count down the days that I will never have to walk through the doors of the John Cooper School again. I will definitely not remember my high school years fondly.

Posted October 14, 2010

also another thing when i transfered in to cooper in 4th grade, i have never been involved with such a mean group of kids. I was miserable for 2-3 years before I started to find a group of real friends.

Posted June 11, 2010

If you "hate JCS" then you likely have never stepped on campus or experienced quality education. JCS is an amazing school with fabulous resources for the kids. We are not a "privileged" family and work hard to pay full tuition. No money is wasted here and the teachers are fabulous! Children are extremely bright and are the most polite and well-mannered in the area. They have many more opportunities for self-expression than at public schools and are given endless support and encouragement by teachers and peers. JCS celebrates diversity in their students/families and encourages parent participation. WAY more activities and educational exposure than any public school in The Woodlands. Public schools are good here, but your child will be just a number in a sea of students. If you want your child to achieve academic success, strong leadership skills, and a hunger to achieve/reach goals, JCS is the school for you.

Posted November 8, 2009

amazing school the athletic and acedemic programs are amazing jcs is the bomb.com
—Submitted by a student

Posted May 16, 2009

I went to Cooper for most of my life and can only remember one issue with bullying- bullying by one of the 'diverse' students in middle school. The school needs to continue to attract the most qualified students, regardless of skin color. Students have the opportunity to participate in any extracurricular they wish, regardless of talent or experience, with the understanding that academics are the most important part of the Cooper experience. Overall, students are generally involved, intelligent, and willing to help out- especially with new students.
—Submitted by a student

Posted December 11, 2007

Outstanding academics. Strong extracurricular activies. Being a private school that boasts diversity, our children found on several occasions a level of discomfort around religious conversations that stemmed from bullying at the school.

Posted November 28, 2007

JCS has been an EXECELLENT school this year! This is our 1st yr/Kindergarten. I would recommend ANYONE to enroll their child or children. there is A LOT of involvement by faculty,parent & students. I volunteer quite a bit & can tell you, the days I am not there,I wish I was. I feel like I am missing something fun! I can feel everyone wants to be there & knowing this & the diversity of the school makes me feel VERY confortable about the networking that starts at a very young age. I pray we are able to live in the woodlands for the remaining 12 years my son will have here! in my opinion, if you are not involved in your childs life,you will miss out on their growth & 1 day look back & wonder what happened. even if it an hr a week at school,it MEANS THE WORLD!

Posted September 11, 2007

I went to Cooper between 5-12th grade. It was a wonderful learning environment and really prepared me for college. The work load is huge, and I would certainly say that my top-tier University was much easier to handle than High School at Cooper. The school has really expanded since I graduated, but I hear they've retained the small class sizes that made learning so individualized. The students were always very accepting of new people, and overall were very kind to one another. In response to an earlier review about increasing diversity, I think Cooper does the best they can with the pool of Woodlands residents. Overall it's a great school and a great investment in your child's future.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted June 23, 2007

Teacher turn over and administrations' lackadaisical attitued towards bullies has already starting to hurt. This school may be going down if something not done soon to attract diversity.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted May 21, 2006

There is a unique enviroment at John Cooper that seeks to find the best in each child and cultivates their skills and interests -- be they academic, arts, sports.

Posted September 4, 2005

The John Cooper School provides an outstanding atmosphere for learning. In addition to providing excellent academic preparation for success in college, The Cooper School also stresses the importance of 'community' within the student body. Teachers, students and parents work together to create a synergy that truly enhances each student's ability to discover and reach his/her potential. The John Cooper School is an exemplary educational institution.

Asian or Pacific Islander 11% 4%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

Fax number
  • (281) 292-9201

• Computer lab
  • Library

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

1 John Cooper Drive