Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)

Handles bullying effectively: Strongly disagree

You are made fun of and looked down upon if you wine or complain about how you are treated by other students. The adult men in this school have a child like mentality when it comes to their definition of toughening a kid up.

Effective school leaders: Strongly disagree

Leadership is driven by who is the most athletic. Most attention and value is placed upon those few. Every other child is made to feel incompetent. This is coming from a parent (myself) who has 2 children currently at McCullough. One is a top athlete and the other is more into his studies. Very unbalanced.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

Athletics and competition/comparison is of the utmost value. Anything else take a huge step down in value or importance. Again, this is driven from the principal who is very good personal friends with the coaches. A bunch of ego inflated, bully, hard core men.

Teacher effectiveness: Disagree

Many of the teachers are more concerned about controlling the classroom as a whole. Little tolerance or interest in the needs of the individual.

It begins and ends with the principal. Mr. McCord has been at this many years. This man is a hard core guys guy. He puts on a good show and tries to be funny and present a facade like he is in touch with the students (he remembers names well, but it ends there). He is very close-minded and out of touch. One example... he suggested that my son will learn more hanging out before, in between and after games from his team mates and coaches than he will in the class room. Off balance, and downright bad judgement. Guys and men talking smack and harassing each other is more valuable than time in the class room?

Handles bullying effectively: Strongly disagree

The kids here just run around and do anything. I remember kids in an 8th grade computer class were through necklace beads at me, and when I complained to the teacher, she snapped at me for not being able to stand up for myself. Another time, I hit in the back of the head with a rubber band right in front of the teacher and I ended up getting in trouble for telling him to stop. Stuff like that makes you hate life, and it gave me a lot of confidence issues. This school's southern "be a man" mentality of dealing with bullying is probably the worst aspect of the school itself.

Supports LD students: Strongly disagree

No no no no no no. As I said earlier, a teacher ridiculed me for claiming I had ADD, saying I was lying and just looking for excuses, and that ADD doesn't really exist and is just a placebo effect. I cannot believe teachers could ever display such ignorance.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

I felt left out every single day at McC. I made more friends on my first dat at Knox than in my three semesters at McC. I became depressed, uninterested in life, and unmotivated to change anything. It was an embarrassing school.

Teacher effectiveness: Disagree

There were some good teachers at the school, especially my 8th grade AP english teacher whose name sadly escapes me, but most are complete garbage.

The school is large, but there is something for everyone. My daughter has had a positive experience. She does have a lot of homework, but she is able to manage it and her other extracurricular activities. She has thrived at MCC thanks to all the teachers and staff.

Last modified Mccullough J High School is a Public school that serves grades 7-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.