Shekinah Radiance Academy Abundant Life

Charter | K-6

Sweep tile

Posted August 13, 2012

Discipline unevenly enforced. Person in charge changes daily. #1 Rule is "Don't complain." Few good teachers but they are too afraid of loosing their jobs to risk complaining or trying to change things. Few parents enroll if there is another alternative but local school district is worse so it is the lesser of the evils of public schools.

Posted August 29, 2011

Shekinah Radiance Abundant Life Campus in LaMarque has moved to a new school located in TOMBALL at 612 Malone St. . A new tuition free open enrollment charter school serves students in grades K-6 and is committed to providing academic excellence through high quality standards-based curriculum. Emphasis is placed upon teaching students skills to help them develop healthy life choices thereby creating a positive social environment that fosters a sense of deep respect for themselves, each other and the community. Submitted by a teacher

Posted July 23, 2011

We are very excited that a new charter school, Premier Learning Academy, will be moving into the campus that previously housed the Shekinah charter schools. Premier Learning Academy (PLA), a new tuition free open enrollment charter school serves students in grades K-12 and is committed to providing academic excellence through high quality standards-based curriculum. Emphasis is placed upon teaching students skills to help them develop healthy life choices thereby creating a positive social environment that fosters a sense of deep respect for themselves, each other and the community.

Posted June 29, 2011

For the record the school is run by a group out of San Antonio not by Abundant Life Church. The church has no input on the daily operations and part of the reason things are changing. I understand the new school has top rated Teachers and Adminastration hired and will operate completly different than Shekinah Radiance. I think the community will have a school to be very proud of once everything is put in place.

Posted May 16, 2011

I always thought it to be the right thing to do when a student hears that another student is making threats against the school to report it. According to the administration there it's "only gossip" unless it's heard directly from the one making the threats. And the children who report these things shouldn't be going home and telling their parents there were terroristic threats because "how would they like it if someone were saying something like that about them." The teachers are afraid of the kids and don't enforce any kind of discipline or control. The academics are a joke. The few good teachers they have don't stay because they aren't taken seriously and aren't allowed to do their jobs properly. I hope and pray things turn around next year when the church takes it over.

Posted January 28, 2011

My child's class is way too big. There is 27 kids in there. That is alot more than her friends who are in the same grade in Dickinson. Also her teacher has changed again, this is her third one. And the pricipal and vice principal has changed again...It doesn't surprise me that there is alot of behavior problems there. I regret my decision to switch my daughter from Mainland Prep. The education, stability and discipline is much better there.

Posted November 2, 2010

I was horrified at the parent meeting last night. Every question we asked was avoided, danced around, or lied about. There are two teachers in every class? LIE. There are enough books for every student? LIE The fire escape doors haven't been broken for three months? LIE. The AC wasn't broken all last year so kids sat sweltering in 100 degree heat? LIE . You people should be ashamed to call yourselves Christians

Posted October 26, 2010

This is just another example of low income children being used to make more $$$ for rich folk. The state gives this school tons of money but none of that money goes towards teachers (they fired half of elementary), supplies, or fixing the building (none of the doors work) but the so called christians next door seem to be rolling in gold. Well you may be getting away with it but God is still watching you.

Posted October 24, 2010

I give up on the school formally notifying me that my child's kindergarten teacher is gone and why. I know why from other parents, its because they lied to us about small classes to get us enrolled and then cut half of all the teachers to half days to save money and crowded all the kids into one room thinking we wouldnt notice......Since my son really likes Mrs. hawkins and is already reading some I know he will be fine this year but after that we're leaving and so are many others

Posted October 2, 2010

Well it seems we have no choice but to withdraw my kids- my 3rd grader is not gonna be in no room with 30 kids half of who are 4th graders! You can t teach 3rd AND 4th together! That don t make sense at all. And my 2nd grader love her teacher, and is now getting moved to another class with 26-27 kids? I dont believe for one second that they dont got enough money I think the truth is the church is taking back over next year (praise God) so Shekinah wants to save every penny at the expence of our kids education. Shame on yall owners! Teachers your in our prayers.

Posted October 2, 2010

Apparently that school doesn t understand how fast word spreads through our community. A child on my son s football team told me she wanted to move her son to a different charter school because the one he s at gives ridiculous amounts of homework every night and I suggested Shekinah. Well she called me and asked had I seen this site. So I called and it is true. They are combining each K-2 class into one, and 3rd & 4th will be together. The school was going so great finally ,many teachers came back, they have a new principal who is doing excellent as far as I can tell, my kids are no longer complaining of fighting, bullying, cursing, stealing and such. So what is going on? I understand hard times, and lack of funding, but this seems very fishy Submitted by au

Posted October 1, 2010

I would never recommend this school to anyone. There is no Library, no computer lab for elementary, the have doors broken that can be used mold growing in the ceilings and the food is cold. I was informed yesterday that teachers have been cut and there will be 20 -25 students in every class k-5. The appeal of a charter school is small class rooms for more 1 to 1 instruction so much for that! This place didn t tell me this was going to happen. The teacher had to tell this had already happen and the just found out. I have liked all of my children s teachers in the past and this year but I just can t look past all the faults of the school. I give 5 stars to the teachers and negative 5 stars to the school and the people who run the school.

Posted October 1, 2010

This is all so incredibly wrong. Children are not handbags. You don t put their education at risk to make a profit! Dr. Washington, and I highly doubt you are a doctor anymore than Dr. Dre is, although he has far more class, ethics, and integrity than you will ever have; you need to find something else to do because you shouldn t have anything to do with educating children. There are always jobs for greedy business people, why don't you partner with Kenneth Lay? You seem to have much in common with him.

Posted January 3, 2010

Well I've really seen some improvements this year, were getting progress reports every 3weeks!thats a big plus for me. I notice more communication with us from the teachers and my children aren't bombarded with homework that takes them all night. I think the staff is starting to communicate so things are running alot smoother...can't say to much about the food though my children complain everyday it's aaaaaaaallllways cold!So all in all I'd say keep up the good work we might just stay another year

Posted October 8, 2009

This is our first year in this school and so far we have seen improvement in our child.

Posted September 5, 2009

I feel since Kay Lair set in as principal the school has turned around a great deal. As a teacher, I feel bless to work with a great staff and students. Work is a pleasant place to be at vs last year.

Posted June 17, 2009

Hello.. I really though maybe I was doing a good thng by enrolling my son in that school. I know that most school have negative vs. positive however this beat the odds. I have only 2 things to say, my son will not return and will never recommend that school.

Posted May 18, 2009

Communication seems unimportant at this school. I am constantly calling and going to the school because no one is letting me know about upcoming events,school programs or other activities. When I request a teacher conference, it takes several days for a response. If my child is doing poorly in class no one seems to think it's a problem. I get no calls or graded papers. If I didn't stay on top of things there would be no way of knowing what my child was doing in school. That is scarey.

Posted March 28, 2008

I totally agree with this person. I also have to say Mr. Walker stepped into a big mess and I really think he is doing a fine job getting it back to being a real school. My prayers go out to you. Also I think Mr. Wheatherspoon is doing a wounderful job getting these children back on track. My heart goes out to you both.I really wish some of these parents would open their eyes and quit putting these children on a peddestal and get a little more involved and really find out what they are like when your not there. Some of you parents would be surprized at what your little angels do behind your backs.

Posted February 14, 2008

I fully believe in the vision for a school of excellance for the children. My children have been in this school since the beginning of it as a charter school. I had to pull one out due to the lack of efficient teaching and will probably pull the other two out for the same reason. Don't get me wrong, there are some excellant teachers there and some that are not degreed or who want to teach as a career.... makes for a poor learning environment for the kids. My hat is off to the Principal for his efforts to increase the provision of this school, yet a long way to go though. If the parents will step up to the plate and help, it would make up a lot from the shortfall from lack of finances to provide a better learning environment for our kids.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 89% in 2011.

18 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2011.

18 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 88% in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 90% in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 82% in 2011.

22 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2011.

22 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 87% in 2011.

21 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 84% in 2011.

30 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2011.

29 students were tested at this school in 2011.

All Students89%

Not special education62%
Proficient in English65%
Non-migrant62%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 79% in 2013.

7 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

7 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 72% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 68% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 71% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 75% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 73% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 71% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2013.

All Students57%

Proficient in English29%
Non-migrant29%
Non-Gifted29%

Source: Texas Education Agency

• In 2010-2011, this school was rated "AEA: Academically Acceptable".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was rated "AEA: Academically Acceptable".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "AEA: Academically Acceptable".

Asian 1% 3%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

• Francisco Longoria
Fax number
  • (281) 516-2813

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

612 Malone St