As the test scores indicate, this is a fabulous school with dedicated parents, teachers, and staff. We moved to this school district and specifically chose a home that is walking distance to this campus, the middle school, and high school. All three of my children have thrived at Beck and the standards are appropriately high. As a certified teacher and administrator, I can attest to the quality of this school.
Genuinely caring school environment comprising highly skilled, motivated teachers, professional and courteous staff and proactive parents are all the active ingredients for a vibrant elementary school environment. What's more, with the continued influx of inter-state relocations, the student body increasingly benefits from a corpus that reflects the great diversity of the world beyond the classroom.
This is a wonderful school hands down. The morning and afternoon arrival/dismissal is horrible but what school is perfect at that? The teachers are fantastic, the curriculum is as high as a private school's (which I have had my children in a private, so I can compare). The community involvement is at its best and the activities for the kids is great. I and my children could not be happier. Its just a all-around great school.
This is my son's first year at school, I wish I could say that it has been great but from day 1 we have had nothing but issues. The principal spends too much time working on her ego rather than taking care of the kids. They actually lost my child for 15 minutes on his 3rd day...I mean seriously how am I supposed to respect a school that can't even keep track of my child. They have also complained that my child has too much energy... I mean he's 5... just an FYI they have lots of energy! So be careful when entering this school there will be issues that need to be addressed from day one.
I have two children at Beck Elementary. I find the teachers are friendy, caring, and willing to help out in any way to make children successful. The make children accountable and to work hard. I find curriculum is fairly easy but I believe that is because I came from top private school background.. Principal is professional and runs a clean, organized, and safe school.
Beck is a great school, with great teachers that care, and stay -year after year- despite having to deal with principal Debbie McCune. I have heard from more than one staff member that she is a controlling micro-manager who wears her staff down, and quickly discards anyone who does not agree with her precise opinion. The teachers all complain about how much they hate working with her, but stay for the kids, and the wonderful community. The school is already top notch--but imagine what things COULD be if there was a leader that the faculty actually LIKED?
New principal needed!!! Mrs. McCune does nothing but fill space. Get someone in there that truly wants to make a difference and is a great leader. The school should really work on teaching students about being bullied and how to handle a bully. It should not be tolerated and very much needs to be addressed!!! Times have really changed and this school needs to catch up!!
My son has been going to Beck for two years now. I would say 90% of the teachers are great, and the other 10% are less than wonderful. The Principal D. McCune and other administrative staff are absolutely horrific. They offer no support to their teachers and staff, and don't work well with parents or the students.