Public charter
Tyler, TX

Posted August 11, 2015
Because they are Awesome People and we study hard every day and we have fun and the Teachers are nice and they Love their Studebts

Posted June 10, 2015
I have 2 elementary students. Very happy with how things are run on that campus. I can see how many would be frustrated with the turnover at the middle school, but honestly, it would take a LOT for us to move our kids to TISD. Someone mentioned disliking a "shape up or ship out" mentality. Ummm, isn't that one of the reasons we have our kids here rather than in TISD?? I like that the kids can be held to a higher standard and that certain behaviors don't have to be tolerated. All in all, very happy with my kids' education and the safe environment I send them into every day.

Posted April 21, 2015
I am surprise by some of these comments because so far I am very impressed by this school. I had my daughter at Chapel Hill, and Innovation Academy and finally I see my daughter learning and performing according to her intellectual capacity. Teachers have been amazing, send me emails, calling me if necessary.

Cumberland Academy 3

Posted February 05, 2015
Cumberland has been a great school for our family. My major concern is turnover of principals at both campuses. The elementary principal is unprofessional and quite frankly not passionate about his job. He is unwilling to listen to parents concerns about what is best for their child.

Cumberland Academy 2

Posted January 29, 2015
I have been VERY DISAPPOINTED in the performance of this school this year. My children who attend this school, but will be leaving very soon. Last year they had an AMAZING principal, an AMAZING staff, and a much harder curriculum. The principal resigned late last year. Many teachers were not asked back after she left. They've gone through each principal faster than the last. Their last principal, who resigned this January, used to be the assistant principal. The 8th grade has gone through 2 SCIENCE TEACHERS! My son has learned absolutely nothing in social studies. I will honestly be surprised if any of those children pass the STAAR test in either of these areas. My son is taking "Spanish I" they use Rosetta Stone, and are nowhere near the standards they should be at to take Spanish II in high school. We switched to this school because we thought it would be a better alternative to the below standard TISD. I hope they will fix these issues very soon.

Cumberland Academy 1

Posted January 29, 2015
My daughter has had two new teachers since Christmas break, which is all part of the 8th grade fiasco. One of the teachers resigned and the other was moved because another 8th science teacher quit. My daughter now has a long-term sub for the rest of the year in 6th science. I don t think they are even trying to find a certified teacher since they sent out the announcement of the new replacement. My friend s son has now had 3 science teachers this year and multiple long-term subs. The principal walked out last week with little-to-no warning, which makes 3 principals for the middle school since May. It just seems like such a mess over there. We are trying to hold out on moving back to TISD until the end of the year, but it just seems like there is no control or order over there. I feel sorry for the teachers because I know they are trying, but there s just no stability.

Cumberland Academy 4

Posted January 28, 2015
I have a child in the 7th grade at Cumberland (middle school) and a 3rd grader in the elementary. We have been very satisfied with both campuses. It is odd that the 3-5 graders are not able to use the playground but there are other things for them to do outside. We were sad that the current middle school principal left but we are confident in the teachers and staff. We like the standards of no talking in the hallways which allows the students that are in class the ability to concentrate on what is going on in the class room instead of having to listen through noise. The previous private school we came from had the same policy. It is respectful for the students in class. TISD schools are getting out of hand, especially the high schools which are terrible! Our children are getting a challenging education while also being taught respect as well as responsibility. Part of learning responsibility is doing what you're expected to while at school (and any other place) and if you do not then there are consequences. Again, responsibility. Cumberland is a school of choice and it is a good thing that parents have choices for their children...

Cumberland Academy 2

Posted January 27, 2015
We recently left the school mid year. The elementary has had three principals in three years and I feel the tone of the school has changed to a "get with the program or your out" mentality. (at least in the new principals part) The school used to be an ischool and offered more to the kids and every year its cut back more and more. We started off super happy with the school but over the course of three years we just didnt feel it was headed in the right direction for our family. Maybe they grew too fast?

Posted January 26, 2015
I am thrilled about Cumberland. I have two girls in the middle school and they are truly blossoming! It has been a blessing for our family. There has been some overturn in the staff but so far have maintained a top notch education.

Cumberland Academy 1

Posted December 14, 2014
As with the previous review (which, I am sure, is about the middle school), I feel the principal is unprofessional and lacks experience. It is too bad that the leadership from the year before did not remain. The new principal is trying to enforce things like silent hallways between classes and silent lunches. When asked why it is important, his response is - would you rather your child talk in the hallway or get a great education? I am not sure what one has to do with the other? Cumberland is very much moving in the 'military school' environment direction. Parent and teacher opinions are not valued or respected. Maybe with the 'wait list' dwindling, he will start to take notice of other viewpoints. Last year, the wait list was pretty solid. I have gotten several emails this year practically begging parents to encourage friends to enroll due to empty slots. If we finish the year there, we will be moving to Tyler ISD next year. With so many teachers/principals leaving and being fired every year, I am just not sure that the high school will be stable enough for quite some time.

Cumberland Academy
1340 Shiloh Road, Tyler, TX  75703
Last modified Cumberland Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Cumberland Academy Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 55 reviews. Top