Public charter
Tyler, TX

Posted December 14, 2014
As with the previous review (which, I am sure, is about the middle school), I feel the principal is unprofessional and lacks experience. It is too bad that the leadership from the year before did not remain. The new principal is trying to enforce things like silent hallways between classes and silent lunches. When asked why it is important, his response is - would you rather your child talk in the hallway or get a great education? I am not sure what one has to do with the other? Cumberland is very much moving in the 'military school' environment direction. Parent and teacher opinions are not valued or respected. Maybe with the 'wait list' dwindling, he will start to take notice of other viewpoints. Last year, the wait list was pretty solid. I have gotten several emails this year practically begging parents to encourage friends to enroll due to empty slots. If we finish the year there, we will be moving to Tyler ISD next year. With so many teachers/principals leaving and being fired every year, I am just not sure that the high school will be stable enough for quite some time.

Posted October 01, 2014
Lack of professionalism by the principal and some staff I felt forced to withdrawal my student from Cumberland. Made several attempts to talk with the principal about concerns. When the opportunity came up, there was nothing but his constant interruptions and insults and would not let the others come in that the matter was about. HIS solution was withdrawal....that is with the forced comes in. Do not recommend Cumberland unless what you are looking for is a "Military School"

Posted July 29, 2014
We have a middle schooler and a 3rd grader and we have had a very positive experience at Cumberland. No where is perfect, but at Cumberland they are constantly trying to get better! No where else we'd rather be!

Posted January 10, 2014
This is a fantastic middle school. My son started 6th grade this year and the teachers are amazing. They are very hands on. Any problems are addressed immediately. Awesome front desk staff! I hear from my sons teachers atleast once a week sometimes more. They keep u very informed on assignments for the week or big tests coming up. He has had nothing but A's and B's! Small classes and hands on teachers!

Cumberland Academy 4

Posted December 26, 2013
Cumberland Elementary is a great alternative to the below standard TISD. Cumberland stands out for choices such as dance and violin available to students of all grades. Parents are strongly encouraged to be active in their child's schooling and to volunteer. I do wish there was a little more consistency in how the "specials" are arranged and more communication int he start of the year about what specials your child will be in. My son is in his third year there and each year the specials have changed dramatically. ( Kindergarten kids do not get violin now but third graders get much more instruction so my K age student gets no instruction whereas my third grader has had violin since grade 1. All changed made with zero notice or explanation to parents. Small gripe really when I still believe the program is exceptional. ) Otherwise the school can be a fantastic experience for your child. This year Mr Markle is the new principal and I have a great impression of him. He is active and ever present at school activities and really speaks with enthusiasm about how great the school is!

Posted December 10, 2013
Cumberland is a blessing. The teachers are very dedicated and supportive of students as well as the parents. The office staff and principals know everyone by name and work hard to provide the best for everyone. Our children look forward to going to school. They are at ease and feel safe there. They have had trouble with bullying in other schools and this is something that is not tolerated at Cumberland. We are excited about the expansion of the school and plan to continue our children's education here. Thank you Cumberland Academy!!!

Posted May 24, 2013
I would not recommend this school to any parent. They lack in parent teacher communication!

Cumberland Academy 2

Posted February 23, 2013
This school lacks in the academics department. My child is not challenged. There are too many extracurricular activities every day and not enough time spent on basics. So many children in our class have terrible handwriting and nobody cares. Teachers are nice but don't have enough time since they only have the kids in homeroom for 3 hours a day. We end up doing a lot of extra work at home, might as well homeschool. Extracurricular classes are not very beneficial when you go to so many once a week. Needs more focus on academics. The administration is not really concerned with parents' opinions because of such a long waiting list. We will probably be switching schools next year.

Posted December 17, 2012
Very unsatisfactory. There are not any good systems in place for keeping other children from logging on as your child and taking bogus tests for them (bringing their AR reading score down so they can't check out higher level books they are interested in) as well as kids going through the lunch line claiming they are another kid and parent getting stuck with the bill...then when you go talk to people in charge or try to communicate with people that should be concerned, it gets swept under the rug. Very apparent lack of concern for satisfaction since they know there is a long line wanting to get in and there is no accountability. It is very disappointing as a parent not to have their concerns addressed by "leadership."

Posted October 06, 2012
My grandchildren attend Cumberland Academy and love the school. They actually enjoy school now. The staff is fantastic and I would recommend this school to any parent that are looking for a school for their child to attend.

Cumberland Academy
1340 Shiloh Road, Tyler, TX  75703
Last modified Cumberland Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Cumberland Academy Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 40 reviews. Top