Bad
Good

Wow, where to start? I will start off by saying that the teachers are amazing considering what they have to deal with, these teachers work hard and put in long hours past the final bell. The biggest problem comes from administration, like a previous poster said "Terrible school starting with thePrincipal!!" Now this school has the potential to be awesome but the principal: *Has no backbone to work with the older kids *Allows discipline problems and certain students to run the school *Leaves the teacher powerless *Belittles teachers on morning announcements telling students to remind teachers to do their jobs, things that they are doing to begin with. This causes lack of respect for teachers and the students now feel like they can get the teacher in trouble or fired *Morning announcements may be fine for the lower levels, but someone needs to mention that this is not Mikey's Club House or Nick Jr. The older kids are not amused and have lost what little respect they had left for administration. *Students know they can get away with their ill behavior because other students come back from the office announcing how fun it is to go see the principal/iss(held in office with secretary).

Terrible school starting with thePrincipal!! Mr. "V" is not involved with the parents and the teachers daily duties. I moved my child out of this school. The majority of the teachers are lazy and don't take education seriously!!! My daughter was never helped in math and was told by her teacher she will never be good at the subject!!! You are a sorry teacher and needed to be fired!!

Terrible school!! My son was in kindergarten and threw a fit everyday because he hated going to this school. My other son was in 2nd grade and came home upset evryday because his teacher yelled all day. The principal has very poor leadership. I finally had to take my kids out and put them in another school.

My daughter is in the 1st grade at Shields and I couldn't make her stay home if I tried. She previously attended Smith for kindergarten and it was a struggle every morning. But she really loves her teachers and friends at Shields. Teacher-parent communication is really encouraged and my daughter loves the after school science club. I also love that there are several school events through out the year. My one and only complaint is the location with the busy and noisey traffic. I also don't like that the playground is plopped so near the traffic and the kids are running around in the smog of the cars and the fast food restaurant across the street. I know this can't be helped, though a taller and more opaque fence would be nice.

My children were attending Shields for 2 years and the only positive thing I can say about the school are the teachers this school gets 1 star from me.

Shields is a great school and the teachers are great. They really focus on reading, and since it is a science magnet school, they set aside Tuesday afternoons to focus on it. The school is set beside a neighborhood and the other side has a larger street with lots of traffic. My son is in third grade and loves the school

Last modified Shields Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 1 out of 10 based on academic quality.