No rating

Vanguard College Preparatory School

Private | 7-12

Living in Waco

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $97,100. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $720.

Posted May 26, 2012

Vanguard is a wonderful school. As the parent of a student on a needs-based scholarship, I can promise you that my son has never been made to feel like he is not as important as his peers; rather, teachers, coaches and admin go out of their way to help all of their students. My son is in the 7th grade, and the essays that he wrote this year on The Odyssey and The Lost Books of the Odyssey were creative, interesting and analytical (in the 7th grade!), and the work that he did on To Kill a Mockingbird was equally thoughtful. If you are interested in Latin, this is the school for you, too - the 12-grade Latin class translates The Aeneid and they are planning to offer AP Latin soon. Vanguard has more National Merit Finalists than any other central Texas school and the AP pass rate is phenomenal. There are also lots of wonderful traditions - the mud pit during field day, the Senior Haunted House, spring trips to Italy - the list goes on. If you are interested in this school, you are warmly encouraged to visit. I recommend that you do!

Posted March 12, 2012

Both my kids graduated from this school. They not only loved it, but they got great preparation for college. My daughter received a generous four year merit scholarship and my son had scholarship offers, but elected to go to his first choice (that didn't offer one). Each of them felt very well prepared in the college classroom and really appreciatede Vanguard when they saw the other kids struggling. I don't know where all the back-stabbing comments come from. Both my kids attended public schools before Vanguard and found Vanguard remarkably friendly, tolerant, and clique-free -- a welcome change.

Posted March 12, 2012

I am a graduate of Vanguard and had a wonderful experience academically and socially. I found classes to be engaging - the teachers encourage discussion and give assignments that are creative and challenging. I felt well-prepared at my liberal arts college, and I know it's because of the strong study habits I learned at Vanguard. The school is a close-knit community, supportive of each student's diverse talents and interests.

Posted September 10, 2011

This school is overrated. The education is rigorous, but the school confuses quality with quantity. They assign ridiculous amounts of meaningless homework but very few intellectually stimulating assignments. The students are very cliqueish and exclude and bully others. The teachers and administration play favorites among the students, often favoring those whose families are particularly involved or have made recent donations. It is, sadly, one of the better schools in Waco, but it is by no means an excellent option.

Posted October 10, 2010

Vanguard is the best thing that could have happened to my daughter. She was in a public high school (Coolidge ISD) and the teachers had to spend so much time dealing with behaviors they did not have time to teach. Vanguard students are like one huge family no matter your income or your race. The teachers teach at a higher level of learning on a strict basis so that the students are well prepared for college. The headmaster is outside every morning greeting the students, you would not see a public schools superintendant doing that. The older students mentor the younger students so they always have someone to ask questions to if they need it. Mr. Borg, Mrs. George, Mrs. Graves are simply the best as is all of the teachers and staff. If you are serious about your childs education then Vanguard is the place your child needs to be.

Posted January 9, 2010

First and foremost, I am a graduate of Vanguard and would not recommend Vanguard to anyone in Waco. While I think it is a great school in terms of having the visual appeal, and the administration will certainly make it look amazing, the school should not meet any normal parent's expections. The social scene is very weird. The girls are mean and backstabing, but worse than public school. Although there are not physical fights, there are plenty of social fights. If you do not have a lot of money, you will not fit in at Vanguard. And if you are a boy, You must be a wonderful athlete to be excepted. The guys make fun of people who don't play sports even if they are very smart. If you want to go to Vanguard because of the academics, fine. But don't expect to be happy. Graduate of 2008
—Submitted by a student

Posted October 5, 2009

Our daughter has been at Vanguard since the 7th grade. When we were looking at schools, I remember seeing Vanguard's tuition and thought there was no way I would spend that kind of money. We thought we would go by and see the school anyway and as soon as we did, we knew that was the learning environment we wanted our daughter to be in. I would pay double the tuition to keep her there. There isn't an education experience like it and I feel very fortunate that she is able to be a part of it. It has taken away the normal worries of your child being in school. The students are incredible about welcoming someone new and making them feel as it they are a part immediately. The head of school is an incredible individual who takes care of business the way it should be. Thanks Vanguard! Terry Strickland

Posted October 3, 2008

I am working on my graduating my third child from Vanguard. Vanguard will have your child ready for College. My first has now graduated from Baylor and said Vanguard had perpared her well for the time management that is required to do well in college. Vanguard tuition is high but I consider it an investment with a reture of a college scholorship. Vanguard does offers financial aid to assist families who otherwise would not be able to meet school costs. In the last 5 years, Vanguard has had 10 National Merit Finalists, 21 Commended and 3 Hispanic Scholars. Scoring well above the state and national averages on the SAT, Vanguard students have consistently made impressive results on the nation's most influential college acceptance exam.

Posted May 9, 2005

Vanguard provides a solid, rigourous education for grades 7-12. Classes are small and students receive individual attention. Students are able to participate in athletics, orchestra, band, art, debate, and other activities. Vanguard programs do very well against other programs. Parents are involved in school lunches, booster clubs, and organizing other events such as arranging class schedules for teachers at Christmas so that they can take a day off for shopping.

Posted August 30, 2004

Vanguard provides a quality education and maintains the highest standards while encouraging an attitude of respect and responsibility toward others. My child has grown so much here, not only academically but as a person as well. We could not be more pleased with the school and it's outstanding faculty and staff.

Posted May 20, 2004

Wow! What a great school. Our daughter is not just excelling academically in this environment, but is having the time of her life. From academics to sports, Vanguard has the best balance we've seen

Asian or Pacific Islander N/A 3%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Two or more races 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

Fax number
  • (254) 772-8263

• Computer lab
  • Library

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

2517 Mount Carmel Dr