Bad
Good

To the involved parent who is considering Watauga Elementary as your child's future school: This is our child's third year at Watauga Elementary. Every year we have regretted our decision to send our child back hoping the up-coming school year would be better than the former. A few challenges we have struggled with (other than there being zero socioeconomic diversity) are, when you first step foot in the school you encounter the incredibly rude and incompetent office staff. Once your child is in the classroom, your classroom assignment will be a coin toss. You may get a great teacher or you may get a disconnected teacher who lacks's communication skills. Example: half way through the year, I asked my child's teacher (via email) how we could help our child at home to improve their math score, the teacher's response was "I don't know." But, none of these things are as frustrating as the condescending principal, who when met with confrontation, will quickly throw her staff under the bus or place blame back on you, the parent, or your child, rather than take responsibility. Furthermore, you may have read the previous reviews about the school not encouraging parent involvement, and it's true. I read those before sending my child to Watauga and assumed that since they were posted several years ago and the school has turned over several principals since then that maybe things had changed. I was wrong. If you ask about volunteer opportunities they will say something like, "We would love to have you volunteer!" And then they'll make it extremely difficult. I'm also assuming that you're a parent who would like to see your child thriving socially and developing life-long friendships, well good-luck setting up play-dates. Many of the children who attend Watauga Elementary come from homes where they are neglected, abandoned, or abused or their parents don't speak english or they just don't care. There is no sense of community, belonging or acceptance. Instead, tensions are high and numbers are paramount and take precedence above everything. After all, the school's motto is, "Taking Care of Business." Inspiring, isn't it? Here's my advice, Birdville ISD is an open district. If you don't absolutely have to send your child to this school, then don't.

Most of the parents are white trash and exhibit very little integrity and even lower moral standards. The same is true of the rude office staff who have nothing better to do than engage in gossip about parents and their children. There is zero accountability in regards to said gossiping staff as far as the principle and assistant principles are concerned, as they rarely advocate for the tax paying parents. But, the kids are amazing and bright as are most of the teachers.

The school is a joke! They would rather fail kids then actually teach them or help them at all!

My grandson goes to school here and I think it is a wonderful school He really seems to like it

I LOVE Watauga Elemnentary! My now graduated daughter attended Watauga and so does my son. We have always had such positive experiences there. There are so many extra cirricular activities for my son, from chess club to guitar club to cupstacking, and everything in between. The teachers are fabulous, from pre-K on up. I love the wonderful leadership provided by the principals. I feel that my children have thrived here at Watauga Elementary and am so grateful to the wonderful staff for that! I also love all the many oppurtunities afforded me as a parent volunteer. The PTA at Watauga is super! I have other family memebers that attend W.E., and they love it as much as we do! Thank you Watauga Elementary, for providing such a great school for us!

My daughter attended this school and was not challenged at all. the teacher just let her do whatever because she was so far ahead and didn't worry about her. I felt that the year she went there was a wasted opportunity. She is now in a private school where she is being challenged.

This school is a big disappointment! I have 2 kids that go to this school(not for much longer!) one in 1st grade and one in K. The PPCD program for special needs children is horrible! The school has a few really good teachers in the K level but 1st has left a lot to be desired. The principal is a very bad match for this school, she is cold and indifferent with the parents and kids a like. She does not support the teachers and will not work with the parents. When you have a special needs child having everyone work together is a must and Watauga Elementary just doesn't have it. They do not let the parents be involved in much of anything no matter what the grade. I am getting my kids out as soon as I can and so are a lot of other parents.

Terrible lack of leadership from principal, she does not back up teachers/staff. I actually moved my child from this school due to classroom problem that was not addressed by principal after numerous complaints by parents.

This is a poor example of a school. The principal just cares about the numbers. This school also discourages parent involvement. My son enjoys his teacher and his classmates but that is the only good thing I can say about this school.

My son is in 1st grade and he loves going to this school and seems to be doing well even though the size of this school makes me very nervous. The only thing that bothers me about this school is the lack of teacher/school communication with parents. I really have no idea how my son is doing until report cards come out.

Last modified Watauga Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.