Life School Red Oak

Charter | K-12 | 1774 students

Living in Waxahachie

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $126,900. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $860.

Posted April 17, 2014

I would continue to rate this school as being slightly better than average. Although it seems to have lost some of it's luster over the years. I'm starting to question the curriculum as the topics seem to be haphazard within the courses. Homework has been unpredictable and tutoring starts to late for struggling students. All in all, still a viable option when compared to the local schools.

Posted February 8, 2014

My question is, if some of the reviews posted here are so fantastic, how come the TEST SCORES posted show how low the students are scoring? I dont agree with the students scoring so low. They barely passed the new STAAR exams. Life School concentrates too much on the students not talking at lunch time, not having their shirts tucked in, not throwing a piece of paper in the trash without getting a tally. There are no field trips, senior trips, community service, no incentives at all, no motivation for the students to want to go to school. The core classes are not challenging enough to keep the students occupied. The extra activities are just a few and poorly organized. Dont waste your time getting your kids here. They will become stressed out without a way to get better.

Posted December 17, 2013

Families and students taking education seriously! We left ROISD 2 years ago to attend Life School Red Oak and have not regretted our decision to do so! They do not have to tolerate poor behaviors from students and I am so grateful for their attentiveness to this. My children have been allowed to enjoy their education with little to no interruptions from the teachers trying to correct other students. My children are excelling here and are honor roll straight A students. I am very satisfied with the coricullum and disipine programs here. If you are serious about good education and raising a child to respect others this is the school for you and your child.

Posted October 7, 2013

This school could be great, if not for the absolutely ridiculous tally system. I am all for standards and rules, but holding a 5 year old to the same standards that a child much older is held to is ridiculous and futile. The school changed my child's teacher 5 weeks in to the year. With the first teacher, the was never more than one tally given in a single week. Since the new teacher has arrived, my child is now facing suspension and withdrawal from the school (keep in mind this is over a 3 week span of time). I do not excuse poor behavior, but I also do not feel that this is the way to help a 5 year old learn that people support them and care about their success. The academics are satisfactory (however somewhat less advanced than what I had anticipated), and the office and teacher have been communicating with me frequently, but none of that really matters when a school chooses to give up on a small child. I am currently looking into other educational avenues for my child and will be pulling him out ASAP. He should not have to tell me that "it doesn't matter how hard I try, my teacher doesn't care."

Posted October 2, 2013

This school came with high recommendations. We are 6 weeks into my daughter's 1st year there (Kindergarten) and very happy thus far. Parental involvement is a high priority with this school. They don't allow disruptive behavior like regular school districts have to endure, which allows them more time to focus on learning and less time dealing with problems. High test scores show their dedication to education.

Posted September 26, 2013

Our son attends kindergarten at life school red oak. Hands down, this school isn't only on top of education they teach the kids to think outside the box. We absolutely made the best choice sending our son to LSRO. My advice would be to find out for yourself, visit the campus, meet the staff and ask questions. The campus always clean, the staff are friendly and very informative.

Posted August 3, 2013

We have two children in LSRO. Great teachers, great environment and great program. Our daughters are very happy in LSRO

Posted April 30, 2012

We have two children that go to LSRO and we think very highly of the educators there and the education that our kids are receiving. We have been there for 4 years and have had a great experience. The school has grown a lot so it is not as tight knit as it was but because of the great teaching people are drawn to the school from many area districts. It is a school that has many Christian teachers and leadership who care deeply for the students and want them to be excellent in learning and life! I would highly recommend this school!

Posted March 22, 2012

Lifeschool RO has been our school for past six years and we love it. We have an elementary age child and middle school age child at LSRO. Our children are being taught to be critical thinkers, display great character and the value of working diligently to task. LSRO reinforces the character traits, work ethics and respectful behavior that we teach at home. It is a perfect fit. Yes, LSRO is firm on expectations for parental involvement, consistent respectful character of our children and excellence in academics. Even with changes in curriculum and administration LSRO has been true and consistent with their core goals. As in "life" no pun intended, we have had some challenges on occasions at LSRO but we were always welcomed and heard when we spoke to administration. There truly is a "Lifeschool Way" at LSRO and it comforts me to know that even as new teachers come in or there are administration changes it's not LSRO's "first rodeo" and communication, core goals, academics remain consistent. That consistency is evident as you do your classroom observations, walk the halls, sit in main corridor. You will find caring teachers with excellent classroom management skills.

Posted January 11, 2012

We love love love this school! Great teachers and staff! My children have leaned more than book work at this school they have learned how to be leaders; Thank you Life School!

Posted December 10, 2011

I am disappointed and frustrated trying to communicate to solve any problem that you need to discuss. It appears some students more or singled out for special watchingt. First of all, the parents pay for cell phones and the school takes them up from (not all students using theirs only the ones they have decided to watch closer). The RULES (I am sick of hearing that too) require they keep them five days and then pay $15.00. This RULE needs to be modified because some students have the only way of communicating with their parents if they have a car problem or need to work or anything else, but the school does not care about all of its students. I would like to stand in the hallway between classes and see how many phones I can collect and receive $15.00 per phone. It is not just the phone incident that is a problem. I had a child wear a jacket that the school said was against the rules and it was taken by a staff. She knew who the jacket belonged to but put it in the Lost and Found area and the jacket was stolen. Of course it never the school's problem. The rule does not want any negative remarks made. That is not a fair representation of how some feel.

Posted December 9, 2011

Standards have risen! My son attended Life School Red Oak from 2nd - 6th grade. We moved him to a privace school due to the need for more academic challenge. After 3 years away, he wanted to return and finish high school at Life. I reluctantly looked in to it. What I found is that the school had stepped it up academically and in sports, drama, music and more. They offer AP, Honors and dual credit classes. The boys basketball program is better than any in the DFW area due to the top notch positive and highly disciplined coaching staff. So very happy our son is back there. NO REGRETS!! Thank you Life School for always striving for excellence!

Posted June 17, 2011

We had high hopes, but were very disappointed. The teaching staff is almost exclusively young and from SAGU in Waxahachie, with very little experience. Dr. Wilson paints a very rosey picture, but be sure that you do your research before putting your child through this school. It has a very narrow curriculum. We pulled our child and will be attending ROISD, where our child's peers have been involved in so many wonderful classes and extracurricular activities. Be sure to visit the TEA website and jot down the official scores before buying into what is presented at parenting meetings. You should definitely visit before putting your child here.

Posted May 23, 2011

Life School is a good choice if safety is a concern but if you are looking for sound academics, go somewhere else. Do not be deluded into thinking that high TAKS scores are indicators of sound academics. Please note that the new state tests, STAR for elementary and EOC for secondary will be made with the help of College Board, who produce the SAT, ACT, and PSAT. These tests are assessments that Texas students are notorious for failing. Recent data shows that Texas students can pass the TAKS and get commended for 9 years but these same students cannot pass the SAT. Two years ago I asked an administrator at the admin. building why they do not offer AP classes when PreAP classes can be taken. His response, It s not like these kids are going to Ivy League colleges or anything. Until two years ago high school students were accountable for only reading 3-4 books a YEAR chosen by the teacher based on her preference! Questions to ask counselors: What are your average SAT scores? What are your recent scores in math on PSAT? Why have you been allowing students to take PreAP classes by teachers who have had zero training? On average, how many teachers leave per year?

Posted May 10, 2011

Coming from public schools myself, Life School Red Oak has been a a great alternative for our girls. Our girls, now in 4th grade and 5th grade, love LSRO. Like any school it has its issues but to call the school superficial is untrue. We are encouraged to volunteer in classrooms, required to earn parenting points by participating and we must sit in on our childs classroom to earn some of those points. Thats not superficial. In comparing our girls academic level to other children in other schools we know our girls are way ahead. My 4th grader is doing algebra at life school, my 5th grader has read over 70 books this year alone, this thanks to the foundation of LSRO and good parenting. As for bullying yes like any school there are bullies but when my 5th grader was bullied while she was in 4th grade by another child the teacher took care of it immediately and before the other child was walked to the principals office my husband was called to inform him of what happened and so were the other childs parents. The other childs behavior was dealt with before the hour was over on that same day. Bullying is taken very seriously at LSRO when reported. Truthfully speaking

Posted May 9, 2011

My daughter attends this school. This year was her first year at LSRO. As a parent I was underwhelmed by the administration and teaching staff. Student body is diverse; however, administration and teaching staff lack diversity. Academics are average. As a parent I was disappointed in the treatment I received from my daughter's teacher - clearly not an experienced professional. We were accustomed to receiving homework, but rarely received any homework at LSRO. Parents receive requests for money or supplies daily. School portraits were substandard. Classrooms are small and overcrowded.

Posted September 14, 2009

The student to teacher ratios are wrong on this site. At Life School it is 25:1 from Kindergarten to 4th grade. From 5th grade on the class sizes are larger. Dismissal is hectic. Because Life School is a charter school that serives many different cities in the area, it does not have a bus system. Parents know this going in, so it comes as no surprise. The staff and administration care about the children and do the best with what they have. As with any school, it has its pros and cons. Life School is doing its best to raise student leaders. I think that they are doing a good job!

Posted August 26, 2009

A few good teachers, a couple of great teachers, a bizarre administration, Stalinistic tactics that pass as discipline, we'll be working on trust issues with our child for years to come. Indifferent staff, unconcerned administrators, overcrowding. Last year the kids were switched from homerooms 2 weeks into the school year. Parental involvement is only superficially encouraged & the school suffers from bullying. All hallmarks of a lack of educational depth and support. This is not a good alternative to public schools. If it is a school of choice, then it should be your second, or third choice. There's more to a child's education than browbeaten conformaty, and that's said by a parent with a child who does not have behavior issues. The facility is on a septic system and closes with any inclement weather.

Posted February 23, 2009

This school has been an answer to our many prayers. We have 2 children in the Jr High & 1 in Kindergarten at LSRO. This is our first year & we do not have one complaint. The teachers have all been great & some have gone above & beyond for the students. Some offer before or after school tutoring if the kids need or want extra help. I camped out in the snow & thunderstorms for the chance to enroll our children in LSRO. It was well worth it & I would do it every year in a heartbeat if that is what it took to keep our children there. Our plan is for all of our children to graduate from LSRO.

Posted December 9, 2008

This school is great for the lower level classes. As the kids move up into 6th grade, they are not really being challenged. Discipline is good, but the classes are beginning to get over crowded.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 89% in 2011.

131 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2011.

132 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2011.

140 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 88% in 2011.

139 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 90% in 2011.

138 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 82% in 2011.

146 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2011.

145 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 87% in 2011.

144 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 84% in 2011.

132 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2011.

133 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 86% in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2011.

115 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 94% in 2011.

115 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 73% in 2011.

113 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 79% in 2011.

113 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 95% in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 89% in 2011.

68 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 70% in 2011.

68 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 91% in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2011.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 93% in 2011.

73 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 95% in 2013.

76 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 89% in 2013.

77 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 95% in 2013.

76 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 98% in 2013.

75 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 79% in 2013.

145 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

142 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 72% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 68% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 71% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

139 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 75% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 73% in 2013.

143 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 71% in 2013.

143 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2013.

141 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

133 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 71% in 2013.

133 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 70% in 2013.

134 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 84% in 2013.

123 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 77% in 2013.

69 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 75% in 2013.

124 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 63% in 2013.

124 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 78% in 2013.

126 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 97% in 2013.

31 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 85% in 2013.

101 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 84% in 2013.

80 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English I Reading

The state average for English I Reading was 65% in 2013.

102 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English I Writing

The state average for English I Writing was 48% in 2013.

105 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II Reading

The state average for English II Reading was 78% in 2013.

English II Writing

The state average for English II Writing was 52% in 2013.

English III Reading

The state average for English III Reading was 63% in 2013.

75 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English III Writing

The state average for English III Writing was 42% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 86% in 2013.

83 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 81% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 73% in 2013.

World Geography

The state average for World Geography was 75% in 2013.

104 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 70% in 2013.

All Students85%

Black or African American94%

All Students100%
Black or African American100%

Source: Texas Education Agency

• In 2010-2011, this school was rated "Recognized".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Recognized".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Recognized".

Asian or Pacific Islander 1% 4%

Teacher experience

This school District averageState average
Beginning teachers 12%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

3295 U.S. 77