Posted August 29, 2013
My oldest child started this school in 1999 and my youngest started just last year. He is the fourth child I have had go through here in 14 years. Our family moved a couple of times so we do have experience with other elementary school but this one is hands down the best. I have two successful college students and one in high school as well. They are GT/Honors kids and the teachers here have always made sure they were challenged. Shackelford also has an awesome PTO.

Posted August 14, 2012
Fortunately, Principal Edwards is leaving. She was too busy to respond or have a conversation with a concerned parent. The school stops teaching students in January, and starts practicing for the state tests. This means that students only learn for half of the year, and work on the state exams for the remaining half. If you want you child to received a well-rounded and worldly education, then this is not the place for you. If you want your child to grow up and be a professional, then this is also not the place for you.

Posted January 22, 2012
Overall I have been satisfied with Shackelford. I have a daughter who used to attend and a daughter currently attending. My older daughter is in all normal regular classes, but has problems learning. At first I had a little trouble getting them to understand this and what her special needs are. However they got it together and began doing what they could to help her succeed. My younger daughter is flourishing there and loves it. She loves her teachers and enjoys going to school everyday. I haven't had any issues with the staff/teachers being negative or cold like I have at some of the other school my children have attended. In fact there have been a few times where I was impressed with their attempts to be helpful. Being a parent of a child who struggles in school, I encounter several members of the staff and have never had problems with any of them. Just remember if your child struggles or has any special needs, you will have to stay on top of whatever school they attend. From my experience with three different schools, nobody truly cares about your child but you. If you don't stand up and demand help for your child then they will just ignore the problem.

Posted July 05, 2011
When we moved to Shackelford, I felt the staff to be cold and not interested in us being there. BUT AS I STEPPED UP AND BECAME INVOLVED in the things going on in my child's classroom, the coldness decreased and I felt like part of the family. I am now very comfortable at this campus and have a great relationship with the teachers and staff. Both of my children have flourished in the awesome atmosphere that is all about the children! The focus on the good behavior through the Golden Ticket program is a big plus! The key to having a good relationship is involvement. IF you can't or won't be involved, then you CAN NOT complain. In my opinion, this is the best elementary campus in WISD. I will be truly sad when my children can no longer be Shack Stars!!!

Posted February 12, 2011
I have a daughter who went here and a son who is currently going and both have done very well here. For the most part all of the teachers have been very dedicated and seem to really care about their students. My daughter learned quickly and enjoyed her time there. While atttending I voiced concern about my sons reading in first grade and his teacher acted like there was nothing to worry about and said he would quickly catch up. While he was in second grade during the regular teacher conference in the beginning of the school year, my husband and I discussed with his teacher we were concerned about his reading progress and as we talked we brought up the subject of dyslexia and she thought we should have him tested. Long story short the school tested him and it was discovered that he did indeed have dyslexia. Since then he was put in the dyslexia program and his grades shot up and he was glad he could understand why he had so much difficulty reading things in the past. The staff at Shackelford has been wonderful in helping him through this. I think it is a great school.

Posted September 30, 2010
I'm currently in the process of getting my child as far away from this school as possible. This will be her 3rd year at the school and every year I say "I will give them one more year. Maybe we just got a bad teacher." only to be disappointed again and again. My child tripped during a fire drill over the schools uneven side walks. It wouldn't be a big deal but she got in trouble for it! Yep I even talked to the teacher to make sure the story my daughter was giving me was correct. Apparently even though my daughter was falling she touched another student on her way down trying to get balance. Well according to the teacher students aren't allowed to touch otter students even if they are falling face first into concrete. I could go on and on about this school and their "teachers".

Posted August 18, 2010
It is a great school for starters! The only thing I have problems with at the school is that last year my son and a few other boys decideded they was gonna go around asking kids to do indesent stuff and the teachers let it go on for a week without even contacting us the parents. My son got into so much trouble and was no longer allowed to hang out with those children again. My other son had a teacher in 2nd grade that always wrote stuff on his paper that wasn't really necessary to write, always graded his papers wrong! Last year at the end of year party some little kid got hurt b/c none of the teachers was really watching these kids at all!!! I seriously hope the new teachers we are getting will be much better!

Posted January 30, 2010
All the staff seems to be energetic and serious about providing the right environment for the students at the most impressionable time in their lives. My daughter has enjoyed her 3 years at Shackleford. If you are planning on moving into the area, feel confident that Shackleford is a cut above.

Shackelford Elementary School 0

Posted October 12, 2008
Principal doesn't know anything about primary grade curriculum. She is high strung and throws tantrums. Very disappointing.

Posted August 12, 2008

Shackelford Elementary School
1001 Butcher Road, Waxahachie, TX  75165
Last modified Shackelford Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Shackelford Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 13 reviews. Top