Public charter
Westlake, TX

Posted March 13, 2015
Stay away from this school. I have done a lot of traveling through other countries and the US. My children have been exposed to all forms of cultures and teaching. I can honestly say that this is the worst school I have ever seen. This school offers no stability. Rules change on a whim. The administration does not take time to know the students. There are some good teachers here but for the most part they are so overworked that they appear to have given up. I don't want my children taught by people who are exhausted, nor do I want my children to be exposed to an administration who will not take the time needed to get to know them. Save yourself the aggravation and find a different school. If you are seeking a job, it seems to me you can do better than this. You deserve to be treated with respect.
6 people found this helpful

Westlake Academy 2

Posted February 08, 2015
This is my 2nd year attending Westlake Academy, my 1st year here was fantastic. The teachers were great, my peers were friendly, although the curriculum was challenging, I learned a lot. The following school year, students came back with an entirely new admin, staff, rules, the list goes on. At first, the students and I were extremely excited to see what this "new" westlake had in store. But much to our surprise, it wasn't so great.. As we went into the year, admin began to be stricter. A few of our teachers began to "favor" kids over others as well as curve their grade higher due to the favoritism. The new admin ( as well as a couple teachers) have been treating the kids with such disrespect. There are teachers that make up lies and tell admin false things that never happened to get the "trouble makers" in trouble, just so they get favored by the administration. The disrespect and lies admin puts us through is becoming out of hand. The teachers that we love are slowly getting less power and some have been getting fired. Westlake is slowly becoming corrupt due to the new admin. Sad to see what has become of the MYP department at Westlake Academy.
12 people found this helpful

Westlake Academy 2

Posted January 12, 2015
Where do I begin. So much change and not for the better. Communiques sent to parents about dress code, yet children of some teachers and staff wear what they want. Students are held accountable for late grades, yet numerous teachers are very late (2 months for example) in posting grades. The administration advises parents to keep up with their child's progress through Managebac, yet the grades aren't there. So here we are right before grades for report cards are due, and some parents are finding their child is struggling. Parents and students miss the teachers and administrators who were advocates for their students, who went out of their way to help every child succeed. Over the last 5 years those teachers and administrators have moved on.
17 people found this helpful

Posted September 02, 2014
This school is terrible. It is obvious that they have spent a lot of money on the exterior, but there are some things that you can t just throw money at and have it work. Although Westlake did pass state testing, they received no distinctions. IB results for some subjects are embarrassing. There has been a huge staff turnover (50%) in the past year and the exodus continues. Because Westlake is an affluent community it is assumed that this is a good school. Far from it, the surrounding school districts offer many more options for students and the staff at those districts are far superior. Westlake hired an administrator that was asked to leave one of the surrounding districts for ethical violations what does that tell you? Many of the teachers have no IB experience and some have openly stated that they do not feel IB is worth learning and have no intention of teaching it. One teacher went as far as to cuss out the program. THIS IS AN IB SCHOOL! If you don t like it leave. As soon as I can find another job I am done. Westlake is not what it used to be and is far from finding its way back.
25 people found this helpful

Posted August 30, 2014
Superb new leadership and staff! My children have been attending WA now for 6 years. We have seen much turnover of staff, most of which, I believe, were good choices. However, this year the staff chosen to fill those empty positions seem highly qualified, enthusiastic to embrace the IB curriculum, and caring of our school and students. This is the most positive start to a school year I've seen since we've been there, and I truly believe WA is headed in the right direction and look forward to many more great years!

Posted August 05, 2014
I have a special needs child that attends Westlake Academy. The school has been extremely accommodating. My child is extremely intelligent but has a few special needs. I feel as though my child is thriving at this school. Having smaller classrooms has definitely helped. Plus, my child has begun to make friends. She/he had never had friends at school before.

Posted June 08, 2014
I'm sorry to say, but I have to agree with recent posts. We will not be returning along with the many teachers who have been terminated or have decided to leave of their own accord. It is unfortunate that few families seem to have the school board in their pockets. I would be curious to see with whom the departing teachers are replaced. Can anyone say nepotism? I wish the remaining teachers and students luck as this school will certainly have more challenges in their future.
14 people found this helpful

Posted June 06, 2014
How sad to watch a great school die. Westlake has always lived by the IB philosophy. That is until they were overrun by a new administration. Over 20% of the staff has left since the overthrow. It is obvious that the new administration cares nothing for the students or the staff. Please look beyond the pretty buildings before you consider sending your child to this train wreck of a school. There are some excellent schools in the area. This is not one of them.
14 people found this helpful

Posted May 20, 2014
I have been attending this school for a few years now and at first I was so impressed with the teachers, (some) students, as well as the administration. This year ever since our MYP principal "left" the school has snowballed into a huge mess. The new heads of school are not great and do not even compare to what we had. Teachers who are amazing (all of them) are being fired left and right. When they are firing them they give them pretty much no notice what so ever, up to the point to where they are scrambling and stressing trying to find another job. The new heads of school have not been communicating with students at all. They are a name not a figure at the school. As previously stated there is such a lack of communication. For us to be one school TOGETHER we need to know what will be happening on a day to day basis. Ask any student who currently attends and they will say that nothing has been the same for a long while now.
16 people found this helpful

Posted April 27, 2014
We have only been at the school about 6 months, but so far it has been fantastic. Administration, teachers, kids, parents, all have been incredibly welcoming. Our child has fit right in socially, and the teachers have challenged from the beginning. Really an incredible experience for us so far.

Westlake Academy
2600 J T Ottinger Road, Westlake, TX  76262
Last modified Westlake Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Westlake Academy Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 59 reviews. Top