John G Tower Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 622 students

Posted May 27, 2013

Love, love, love that my children get to attend John Tower Elementary. We are a military family and I am grateful that our transfer into Tower was easily accepted. I want my children HERE at TOWER!! I recently saw on the news where Tower was named as a State Title I Distinguished school, along with 6 others in this region of Texas. As always, the news was a bit limited so I did some investigating to find out just how big a deal this was. To my very pleasant surprise I learned that out of 3,674 Title I schools in Texas, ONLY 393 (just over 10%) of them earned the Distinguished Title I School Award - and 2 of those schools are in BISD - and one of them is our school - Tower Elementary! Way to go John Tower, Mrs. Darnall, ALL of the staff, and of course, OUR STUDENTS! All of your hard work is paying off and will always do so because we HAVE A GREAT SCHOOL! Thank you to everyone who helps make John Tower Elementary the great school it is.

Posted May 23, 2013

This is one GREAT school. My kids have gone to Tower for 2 years and it is by far the best school I have ever been in contact with. The staff and administration are all about doing what is best for kids during this time of change with the Texas accountability system and curriculum issues. I can't think of anywhere else I would rather my own children to attend than right here at Tower Elementary! The family atmosphere on campus is so obvious and I am blessed that my children benefit from the wonderful instruction and loving environment they are provided with each and every day. Tower students & staff ROCK!!!!!

Posted May 22, 2013

My kids have gone to JT for 2 years now. When we first moved here I felt the school was mediocre. Two years later I'm writing a review bc this school has failed in every possible way, shape, and form! My kids will not be attending for the 2013-2014 year. The principal is a joke, she clearly only cares about test scores and not that the children are having difficultly with the new cirriculum. This is the first school that we have ever been in that has put so much pressure on my kids for state testing. My kids would come home stressed out and be so anxious in fear of failing the STAAR test bc of what the teachers and principal would tell them if they didn't pass. Until C-Scope my kids were both straight A students. Now failing math and getting B-C's in other subjects. I talked w/ their teachers on numerous attempts, w/ no help at all. It was suggested they receive tutoring, but there were just as many students in tutoring as there was during the day; no 1-on-1 could be given. I went to the principal and she avoided every question about the C-Scope cirriculum and would flat out ignore me for other questions. I left confirming my choice in taking my kids out of this school! BEWARE!

Posted March 4, 2013

I agree, it is difficult to even give one star for this review. Most all of the staff is rude ( if you don't like children, find another job!), kids are treated like they are in boot camp, and are expected to be quiet during lunch, lunch menu is limited by the lunch staff, the lunch staff is extremely rude to the children, and every time I am the school, or see staff outside, the staff is either talking/ texting/ or on Facebook on their cell phones. You expect these kids to abide by rules, yet the staff doesn't do the same. Obviously the principal is unaware of what goes on with her staff!

Posted January 24, 2013

For over four years my children have attended this school from the Pre-K 3 program up through second grade. The teachers at this school cannot be compaired to any other! They are hands down awesome! They take thier time with each child and care about the work that they do! The opportunity for parent involvement is huge and available for all parents to share in a partnership for education! This school is thinking ahead to the future and always trying to keep up with or surpass new ideas in education as well as staying ahead of the game in school safety! I would choose no where else to send my kids! We are very thankful for our John Tower experience!

Posted January 5, 2013

John Tower is a fabulous, hidden gem! Unless you live in the neighborhood, you wouldn't know it was there and might think it was located in downtown Burkburnett. Situated just outside of Wichita Falls minutes from Sheppard AFB, it offers a good choice for families who live on Sheppard and for those looking to live outside of the base. The Administrative team at John Tower is very responsive to parents, students and the military families. The principal is connected with her teachers so she knows what is going on by doing regular observations and is a true leader supporting innovative teaching techniques, community building, and administrative best practice. The teachers are vested in the school, with many of them sending their own children to the school. Burkburnett ISD is very supportive of the local community and shows their commitment in both words and action. The PTO is organized and active! We moved our child from another school and have never looked back!

Posted August 10, 2012

I have a hard time even giving this school one star. My son attended John Tower the past two years due to his father being stationed at SAFB. This school is a joke. I have yet to communicate with anyone that seems to care or know anything. I could go into detail, but I don't know where to begin. My son attended two years of private pre-school starting at the age of three. He has lost skills and regressed in the past two years while attending John Tower. The school refuses to acknowledge this even though his report cards clearly indicate he is not doing well. The office staff are very rude. The school is basically a military school and the children are treated like they are in bootcamp. Not a good place for a child who is going through a divorce and stuggling with learning disabilities. I have attempted to discuss my concerns with the teachers, nurse, counselor and principal. They are very rude and do not care. I would never recommend this school to anyone. I am sure there are good teachers at this school, but my son has learned nothing in the past two years and when I ask the teachers, they say, oh he is doing fine. Not true.

Posted January 31, 2012

The teachers my kids have had are good. The staff has been good. The PTO could use a good boost it's to get it out of it's rut it's very clickish. I'll look around at other schools I would like my kids to be more than just a number in the school I would like a school that all parents can be involved in the class room not just the clickish few.

Posted June 17, 2011

As a mother of two and an active parent in the school, I can honestly say that this school is not what it is hyped up to be. We researched many schools and chose Tower because of location and all the hype and good reviews. Needless to say, my children will not be returning to this school next year. First, I feel there is a false sense of security regarding the safety of the students in the school. The post of January 29, 2011 sums up the rest of how I feel including the positive comments about the teachers and the negative comment about the principle. I had problems with the office staff and principle s lack of professionalism and lack of parent communication. Also, parent involvement was poor and the PTO was almost non-existent. The PTO president lacked direction and was unorganized to say the least. As for the exemplary rating, that is due to the fact that so much emphasis is put into drilling the students with a curriculum focused primarily on English and Math and very little emphasis on other subjects. From the outside looking in Tower seems like the perfect school but after being actively involved the entire year, I was able to see the truth.

Posted January 29, 2011

My children attended Tower Elementary and both received a phenomenal educational foundation. The teachers go above and beyond and make the school exceptional. Parents are always welcome in the classrooms and there is plenty of opportunity to volunteer at this school. The PTO is amazing! The counselor is very approachable if problems should arise. I took the rating below from June 2007 and thought it summed up the rest. In this school it is the teachers that make Tower so fantastic. I can't imagine how much better it would be if they had a leader that could change the morale of the employees. Interesting to see it's been low since 2007 until 2010. June 5, 2007 "As an active parent in the school, I can say from many experiences that this school's staff is amazing. Most are willing to give 100% to their students and it shows. But the lack of overall staff morale is lacking. The principal cares about no one but herself."

Posted July 2, 2010

I attended this school from 1st through 5th (1984-1988) The majority of us who attended were children of those in the military. I have kept in touch with many of the kids from my 5th grade class. My time at Sheppard AFB and John G tower is still the best time I have ever had in all the places I have lived. I'm glad to read the reviews and see that so many parents have postive reviews of this wonderful school.

Posted July 8, 2009

I have three children at this school and its their third one. I must say the transition was great. The teachers, staff and principal were all very welcoming and comforting. Great academics. My only wishwould be that they have middle of the school year awards recognition to keep the parents involved and proud. I will also stress the importance of school and for child and parent. It would further show the children to keep up the good work.

Posted April 8, 2009

I attended many schools both overseas and stateside while I was growing up a military child, now the spouse of a military member raising my own children in many different schools I can not say enough POSITIVE things about Tower Elementary. Out of all the schools I have been envolved with Tower far exceeds any of them in all areas. My son started Tower in the Pre K three year Old Program and is now in Kindergarten, he has recieved a wonderful educational foundation. My other child attends the High School in Burkburnett which is just as amazing in all areas. The teachers, paraprofessionals, office staff and administration are always helpful and cheerful . Tower has a warm and nurturing atmosphere and I will be truely sad the day we have to move. Towers support of our military members and their families is GREAT! Top notch school!!

Posted May 8, 2008

I love this school. Loving and caring teachers and great programs like the Ipod program for Pre-K. LOVE IT!

Posted February 12, 2008

My daughter attend thrid grade at Tower Elementary. In the area of academics, I could not have been more pleased. Her teachers were supportive and helpful at all times.

Posted February 8, 2008

This is my child's first year at Tower. He has been both challenged and supported, while having fun learning. The entire staff, from the principal to the teachers to the recess people, are caring and supportive of the students and parents. Parental involvment is incredible as we are always welcomed in the building and classrooms.

Posted December 12, 2007

My child has attended John Tower for the PRE-K program. He had a very hard time adjusting and it may have been because of his teachers high expectations. My child is not really coming home with any thing spectacular to lead me to believe he is getting a head start in this program. I am removing my son from the program and neither of my children will be attending John Tower next year. Although they may be comparable academically to other schools in the area, they are lacking in student support. When I needed support from the office personnel they were rude and gave me the run around. For a school that says it supports the military family, I have recieved nothing but strife. Transportation is a strong issue with this school.

Posted November 8, 2007

Our youngest son attened this school for 6 months and it was the best 6 months he has ever had! The teachers are super. The parent envolvement is the best i have ever seen. I think it is a great they let the parents go everyday for lunch and they set up there own tables for them! The principal is wonderful. Everyone was so friendly and the kids were so nice as well, everyone showed respect, something i don't see where we are from. Keep up the great work. Miss this school!

Posted October 2, 2007

The staff are eager to work with children and communicate well with parents. As in every school there are those who are less than stellar, but overall, the quality of education here is exceptional!!! The office staff are friendly and knowledgable and quick to give information needed or send you to the correct place. It has lots of parental involvement and very active PTO. AAAplus for Tower Elementary!!!

Posted August 17, 2007

My daughter started at Tower the second half of 1st grade. She had to adjust to the Saxon Phonics but did well ending the school year on the A-B Honor Roll. For 2nd grade she excelled by being a straight A student all year, but I was concerned with the small of home-work that she received all year. I spoke with the teacher about it and nothing changed. She got selected for the Advanced Learning Program and will begin for 3rd grade. Hopefully, she will be challenged more this coming school year because she has often times told my husband and I that she is bored in class. As involved parents we are concerned with the foundation that she is being provided. With us being dual military we will leave the area in the next 2 years and I would hate to see her suffer academically when we leave here.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 89% in 2011.

67 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2011.

68 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2011.

65 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 88% in 2011.

64 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 90% in 2011.

58 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 82% in 2011.

54 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2011.

54 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 87% in 2011.

55 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Female95%

Economically disadvantaged100%
Proficient in English100%
Non-migrant100%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 79% in 2013.

81 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

81 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 72% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 68% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 71% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

61 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 75% in 2013.

61 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 73% in 2013.

59 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students90%

Proficient in English88%
Non-migrant86%
Non-Gifted85%

Source: Texas Education Agency

• In 2010-2011, this school was rated "Exemplary".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Exemplary".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Exemplary".

Asian or Pacific Islander 3% 4%

• STACEY DARNALL
Fax number
  • (940) 851-9812

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now