Public charter
Wimberley, TX

Posted April 29, 2014
Katherine Anne Porter School(KAPS) has been a true blessing for my son. My teenage son can't wait to get up in the morning and go to school and wishes for summer break to be over so he can go back to school!!! How cool is that? I have never seen an environment of young adults that are so caring, loving and accepting of each other. Best of all the teacher:student ratio allows the teachers to work closely with the students and help them thrive. All of the teachers and staff truly enjoy their jobs and care about the students. If only the KAPS mold could be cut and placed all over the country-other families could only be so lucky!

Posted April 29, 2014
This was my daughter's first year at KAPS and it has been her most successful and enjoyable year by far (and we have tried a combination of private, public, and homeschooling). The teacher-student ratio is better than even most private schools. Teachers are top-notch -- smart, well-trained, seasoned, and genuinely respectful of students. Staff and faculty are clear and straightforward in their expectations but are not mindlessly controlling (of students who are creative and probably more free-spirited than most) and, no surprise, the students mirror this culture and are polite and supportive toward one another. Everyone is incredibly resourceful (as has to be the case at a small charter school with little support from the state). KAPS faced several major challenges this year -- flooding; its principal was seriously injured in an accident -- and it was amazing how the KAPS community pulled together in every case. (I want to emphasize that the principal showed enormous courage and strength in recovering from the accident; he inspired all of us!) Plenty of good work gets done at KAPS, yet it still feels more like a "family" than an institution. I am grateful we found the school.

Posted April 28, 2014
The Katherine Anne Porter School offers an educational curriculum designed to nurture individual interests, foster an appreciation for learning, increase community responsibilities, and enhances peace and human rights. The four foundations of the KAP's School are 1) academics first, 2) full participation in learning, 3) mutual respect, and 4) community service. These are the four foundations of success for KAPS staff and students. With these foundations and the belief that each student can feel comfortable and succeed at KAPS, the open, friendly environment allows teachers to be very effective. Despite growing poverty and hardships among Texan students, good instruction itself has the largest influence on achievement.

Posted April 28, 2014
I found this school before moving to Texas from Maryland. This is a fantastic school it has been a growing, loving, accepting school. My boys have become great young men and I think KAPS has helped in molding who they are becoming. The staff and teachers are warm and wonderfully welcoming.

Posted April 27, 2014
Katherine Anne Porter is a charter that serves a 4 county rural area with 150 enrolled freshman through senior high school students. It was named after the famous author who spent some time in childhood in the Hays county area. The school offers visual and performing art opportunities, but has great faculty in the sciences as well. The faculty are dedicated to assisting students to identify and develop their talents, be those academic, skilled-based, or other. The student body is as economically and culturally diverse as the area allows. Presently the school is putting on a new roof and repairing flood damage from a fall 2013 flood. The school does an excellent job providing a nurturing environment for budding adults. It also does a fine job of education. The building could use fire safety and mobility adaptations.

Posted April 27, 2014
KAPS is a small, free charter high school. It serves ~150 students from various cities and school districts in the Wimberley area. Being a charter school, we do not receive full state funding. We are also a Title 1 school because many of the students are on the free/reduced lunch program. We operate on a shoe string but, somehow, everything that needs to get done gets done. We make due and are creative with what we receive or fund raise and have some wonderful angels in the parents and communities KAPS serves. My son is a freshman. He developed epilepsy in 2009 and was home bound to some degree through the Dripping Springs school district for his middle school years. This is his first year back as a full-time student. The superintendent, principal, counselor and teachers have been very supportive in helping him acclimate back into all-day school. They are encouraging beyond anything I ever expected! They genuinely take an interest in the students, not just their academics but also what is going on in their lives, and help them deal with it. KAPS is certainly deserving of the donation from GreatSchools because it is not just a great school, it is a FANTASTIC one!

Posted April 27, 2014
KAPS is an amazing school! The environment is inviting and accepting. My son graduated in 2004. I've been back just last week to donate and visit. STILL incredible and STUDENT ART everywhere!

Posted April 25, 2014
This school has made my daughter's life so much better. The teachers are extremely available to parents and students alike. We are always able to talk to someone about any issues and they are independent thinkers in solving challenges. The small class sizes and outside the norm social acceptance makes school about supporting the students rather than trying to fit them into a mold. My daughter loves being able to be herself. Also she is a high achieving student and feels like the classes are challenging and she learns more than she did in conventional school. We love this school!

Posted April 24, 2014
My daughter is a freshman and LOVES going to school every day. The after school program rocks, and she often wants to stay after school to hang out with her friends in a fun, safe environment. This is a great school if you are interested in academics, art, music, and want to avoid the usual cliques and social structure that comes with the football culture at most schools.

Posted September 08, 2013
My son is in his junior year at KAPS. He had attended Hays HS his freshman year but when we moved to San Marcos just before his sophomore year, he and I decided to give KAPS a try rather than enroll him at SMHS due to my severe reservations about the high school in San Marcos. The small class sizes attracted me - he couldn't be lost in the crowd with only six to twelve students in a class. He loves KAPS. He came home almost every day saying how he loved the school - this is something I haven't heard him say since kindergarten. His grades improved dramatically. He delighted in going to school and quickly became involved in the diverse after school program. The staff is wholly supportive of the students, the new teachers as well as the old. Diversity is embraced rather than disallowed. He still says he loves his school ons nearly daily basis. While the school is certainly not for everyone, it has been a God-send for the both of us as we'll as for many of his classmates and their families.

Katherine Anne Porter School
P O Box 2025, Wimberley, TX  78676
Last modified Katherine Anne Porter School is a Charter school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Katherine Anne Porter School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 34 reviews. Top