American Heritage School

Private | K-12 | 650 students

Living in American Fork

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $224,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $740.

Sweep tile

Posted Tuesday, April 15, 2014

As an experienced teacher currently at AHS, I LOVE this school and its leadership. I am deeply grateful that the school community is so generous in fundraising so that we can do all that we do here and stay independent of government funding - AND still maintain such a relatively low tuition rate. Occasionally people misunderstand this point: fundraising at AHS "for teachers in need" is exactly that - it helps to support us, including our current salaries and benefits, in a way that does not require the school to raise tuition to the inaccessible levels that so many other private schools charge (just compare the tuition here with other outstanding private schools like AHS - Wow). This is what good non-profits do. As a teacher, I respect that, and don't expect "huge" bonuses to come from fundraising. Our administration does a great job managing our expectations and communicating openly and honestly about budget and benefits. Faculty turnover averages only about 6% (I asked; lower in some years and higher in others). I would recommend AHS to any family or teacher who is looking for a school that focuses on Christian character with excellent academics. -Current AHS Teacher
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted March 6, 2014

This school is fantastic. The teachers and staff are amazing. The standards in all areas are extremely high. After moving to New England to have our children go to the highest rated schools in the country we quickly found that the environment that our children are taught in sets the precedence for how and what they learn. After coming back to UT and searching for a school that would meet all our needs (academic and environment) we found American Heritage to be second to none. Their strong emphasis on principals and values are unfounded in schools today. We feel Amrican Heritage is an extension of how we teach our children in our home. There is no other place we would rather they receive their education.

Posted June 12, 2013

I wonder what the agenda is of those posting the negative comments. Also, are they confusing the American Heritage of American Fork with the other AHS schools. My child attended the last 4 years in AF, scored 33 on the ACT and was accepted at UofU and BYU, the only schools she applied to. The head of school is amazing and the teachers are degreed with many having Masters and even some with a Ph.d. Your child will receive great care, an excellent education and establish a moral compass. They will learn how to research original sources to establish true intent. If you believe the Nation was founded by divine guidance and that the Constitution is the law of the land, amendable, but not open to change thru popular opinion or judicial fiat, you will really enjoy your experience. No question, if you are a liberal, progressive, who loves President Obama and the NSA tracking everything you do, this school is not for you.

Posted April 22, 2013

This school is excellent. I have had my children at Challenger in the past. This school not only excels in a great education of the fundamentals, but supports the arts as well! I have children 1st thru 8th grades. This school is amazing! The youth are inspired to reach their goals as well as love learning. The teachers truly love the children. This is shown everyday as they strive to provide a education that is equal to other private schools that are triple the price!

Posted February 12, 2013

Our children have attended American Heritage of South Jordan for six years now. We currently have four children at the school, from Kindergarten through High School and can honestly say that it has been the perfect school for our kids. The one-size-fits-all mentality of public schools just wasn't working for our kids, so we looked for a different option. Since enrolling our kids at American Heritage, they are now thriving in the environment there both academically and socially. We love the small class sizes and individual attention our kids receive. Teachers and Administration are always so willingly to work with you to troubleshoot problems and create the best learning environment for your child's individual needs. Our kids are straight A students and love the opportunities uniquely provided to them. In particular the travel / study opportunities, plays, student council, National Honor Society, Youth Conference, etc. We love the gospel centered and Jeffersonian approach to education provided there. Parent involvement at the school is amazing and we always feel like we have access to the classrooms and teachers when needed. We highly recommend it!

Posted January 16, 2013

We have attended American Heritage for 8 years. I had a son graduate from there. It is a great school. My son who is in college felt the school prepared him so well. I have a child with special learning needs and while they don't have a program for this, they do their best to work with her. The love shown to her has helped her grow leaps and bounds. I love their LDS centered teachings, the personal atmosphere and the challenging course work. My children have learned to reason and relate beyond their years. Each child feels blessed to go there.

Posted October 2, 2012

We have had our children at AHS for six years and hope to take advantage of this unique and marvelous place until they go to college! I cannot speak too highly of the teachers and administrators with whom we have had the pleasure to work. (Including the school head.) The wonderful people who work here are genuinely interested and concerned for the academic as well as character development and well being of each child. The virtues written in stone above each entrance of the school are taught to the children through the example of the teachers and administrators. What better way to learn than by example? Our children's knowledge of the standard school subjects is quite advanced in comparison with their peers of other schools, and their knowledge of some of the more fundamental principles such as our nation's Christian heritage and their own divine nature is way beyond what you would find elsewhere. I feel that children at AHS are taught secular and spiritual subjects in a very balanced way.

Posted May 15, 2012

This school has excellent character education that is infused with a gospel centered focus. AHS is perceived as academically challenging yet the thinking level is very low. Students have beautiful penmanship from copying, but there isn't a lot of learning in simply copying what the teacher puts on the board. Many teachers don't have the education, nor credentials needed to be good teachers- just look at the bios. Lecture, copying, and memorizing seem to be the primary mode of instruction which works for some. The test scores appear to be good, but it seems that they don't hold themselves accountable to other schools in the area (just some arbitrary test to post scores with). It seems they have a lot of potential, but don't know how to actually use it. The building is gorgeous with a stunning interior, yet the actual instruction is not on par with other public, charter, or even private schools in the area. There seems to be an illusion created when on 'tour' that doesn't match reality. I suppose some may care only that their child goes to perpetual Sunday school, but if you choose this school be sure that your child gets an actual education that prepares him for the future.

Posted March 31, 2012

Wowser, I removed my whole family from this school awhile ago. The administration especially Head of School is toxic for students and parents. Stay away from what is becoming a fringe, ultra-orthodox school. Scary!! Their high school is a train wreck.

Posted February 24, 2012

I can't think of a better place and opportunity for children to be able to participate in this school in some way or the other. They have several ways to access inspired curriculum from campus to homeschool to online learning. Our family has been greatly blessed to be a part.

Posted October 18, 2011

My son is in his third year at American Heritage (k-2). He absolutely loves this school. He is reading 3rd grade material, his math skills are fantastic for his age. He is encouraged to bring his guitar to music class so he can share his talent. The two way communication between him and his teachers has always been honest, straightforward, and on the mark. He is expected to learn how to become self-governed. Yet everything revolves around a loving atmosphere where students are free to get a hug from their teacher if they want one. Each of his teachers has almost become extended members of our family in their own way because he loves to talk about them so much. Test scores are well above state and national averages. Perhaps even more importantly, my son is learning the gospel of Jesus Christ in a public setting with his friends. Because of this he is neither embarrassed nor wondering when it s ok to talk about the gospel.

Posted September 4, 2011

I love working at this school and sincerely wish this had been a part of each of my children's lives. Communication is open, honest, direct and respectful. Students are held accountable - and so are staff members. And each is also supported and encouraged to succeed. High standards ... and all the tools needed to make the climb ... What could be better?!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted November 12, 2010

American Heritage School is a amazing, affordable resource to my family. We have excellent communication from most teachers, the administration is kind and extremely capable, and the curriculum is very high quality. My kindergarten daughter learned to read quickly at this school (more quickly than I expected), and both of my daughters at the school talk about the curriculum. I'm pleased with the honor code and discipline policies which result in very good student behavior.

Posted May 18, 2010

The principled approach of the academics at this school is very good. But the understanding of the social emotional developement of the children I find very poor. The disipline of the children in and out of the classroom to keep them in line is to constantly threatening a strike. Instead of taking the time with the child and understanding where they actually are they take the easy way out and just give them a strike. I give them a D on emotionally awareness and caring.

Posted January 27, 2009

Everything about this school is amazing. The building itself is beautiful and uplifting. The pictures line the hallways with views of our founding fathers, prophets, and a show of our dependence on God. The feeling of the school is very nurturing and organized. I have had 2 different children attend here, and have been so grateful for the dedication and love and real care of the teachers. The methodology is all consistent with the best in the world. If you can afford private school, this is the best in the world.

Posted January 19, 2009

I love American Heritage School for the principles and values that they teach. The atmosphere is always uplifting and inviting!

Posted January 19, 2009

I love teaching at this school! The students are respectful, the administration is wonderful, and the environment uplifting!

Posted August 4, 2008

My oldest son has been attending this school since kindergarten. This year he begins the 6th grade. He is reading on an ninth grade level and math at a 7th grade level. The values are strong LDS beliefs with strong motivation for academic success.

Posted September 25, 2006

I have 4 children which are going or who've graduated from American Heritage. We love this school! Not only do they have high academic standards, but their teaching is central to our LDS faith. Class sizes are small which gives our children more attention. The teachers love the children and enjoy teaching. Our principal is so brilliant and loving. I have 1 son that has ADD and went 2 years in public school without anyones notice. 2 weeks into school at AHS, the teacher talked to me about this and we had him tested. He's doing 100% better and feels more confident with himself. Self government is a big concept at this school which we find very refreshing.

Asian 1% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Two or more races 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Latter day saints
Fax number
  • (801) 642-0060

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious