1,126 students|Davis District

Bad
Good

Parents in my neighborhood had long told me that the school didn't involve or utilize parent participation (the PTA there does very little). I found it hard to believe considering there was so much involvement at the elementary school level. But I have found it to be true. The administration uses the student council labor for everything and doesn't really want parent involvement or input. The plus period thing they do is only as good as the teachers make it. When my child was forced into a plus period class because he was failing, and I asked the teacher what they would be doing she said he could do whatever he wanted because she had to re-teach other students. Really?!?! What is the point of forcing a failing child to go to a class where the teacher has no interest in helping them?!?! And the counselors - wow. When my child had a problem with a particular class/teacher, their suggestion was to let them fail since they weren't in 9th grade and the grades didn't count. There are some people there that try - but not a lot.

I came across this site while browsing and felt I needed to submit my opinions. I was surprised to see a low community rating, but then remembered that it's often the ones who have a complaint that take the time to voice their negative opinions. I have 4 kids who all went here, one of whom required and received a lot of extra help, and I found the faculty and staff very willing to go above and beyond the call of duty - a complete turnaround from what my first child experienced at a neighboring junior high. My last two kids loved the plus period thing, and it made the other two wish they'd had it. Between the 4 kids they pretty much had every teacher there and I think there were maybe two or three that they didn't like. When I talked to other parents in my neighborhood or at church, I would maybe hear one complaint out of 20 or 30, and usually it was more a matter of a child saying a teacher lost assignments which were never turned in (though we did have one teacher who lost assignments quite regularly - glad we had that copier), or else not making the play or some team because they said the teacher has favorites. Overall we loved this school and know that most in the area do too.

This is a great school. Good teachers, especially in PE and art. And there are good clubs, like ski club and NAL.

worst school ever! the vice pricipal is a (insert word of choice) the staffs horrible. there are some good teachers but other then that this is the worst school ever.

This school is good academically, but the staff fails to stop any bullying. I, myself, was mildly attacked by a student while a staff member was IN THE ROOM. I feel like going to my fifth period class is not as safe as it should be, and even when i try to complain, i get no response. Also, it somewhat perturbs me that when my lunch account runs out of money, they refuse to charge my account into the negatives and i cannot eat. Overall, I am not pleased with this school at all. the students, teachers and staff are mostly rude.

This is a horrible and overcrowded school. The lines are long for everything.... including simply trying to meet at parent/teacher conferences and entrance into ANY honors classes... Everything is full and they pick favorites of who gets to move forward. LIMITED CLASS offerings!!!. I had two kids that 'had' to attend because of no other choices. They described the place in these ways: " I felt like I was in a herd of cows and no one really cared if I learned anything." " I felt like I was living in the Lord of the Flies with no opportunities. I completely agree. They have huge nepotism and bias along with bullying problems. The administration is part of the problem and doesn't keep control of a general cliquey grossly mormon prejudice place. The DSD bullying policies only protect the bully and not much for the victim at all... and the kids know it too! The gym teachers are the very best teachers in the whole school and desperately try to build self esteem. They are wonderful and counter the huge negative and stuffy old mean prejudice choir lady experience. I agree with the other parent rating... I would move AND DID before I had to put another child of mine in that horrid place.

I don't know how in the world this school received a 9 rating. SDJH has poor administration and very few outstanding teachers. I can count on 1 hand the number of good teachers. I would move before I put another child at that school. Millcreek Junior High is a great school.

This is a great school. There is a great mix of everything here. The counselors were great in helping my student get his grades up. They offer a Plus period that is kind of like a study hall, where kids can get caught up on missing work or have a little fun if they are doing well. I feel like this helps a great amount for kids who have a hard time. They have a very strict discipline system to keep the school safe. This is my first middle school student and I feel great about sending all of my kids here!

I have attended South Davis Junior High for all three junior high years. I enjoyed my classes and teachers, but the pupils were a little overwhelming. This school is one that is full of cliques. Popularity is overrated in this school. The students who attend there feel like they have to be something they aren't just to fit in. I really do not think that is neccesary and that students should be themselves, but overall there were many preppy acting girls. I really enjoyed this school though academically. The honors and pre- AP classes were great, and the arts classes are great for preparing you for future music programs. I highly suggest it for a junior high. It does have a huge problem with peer presure though, that could improve.

Overall my school is da bomb! i love it! the sports are great, the food is.... food and most of the teachers are the best! the only thing that i dissagree with is the cell phone policy!

Last modified South Davis Jr High School is a Public school that serves grades 7-9. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.