Posted September 09, 2014
Summit Academy is structured differently than the public schools my students have attended the past three years. Summit Academy offers students ability level grouping so my son and two daughters are able to take classes on their level. My kids have been bored and frustrated in the public school system. They enjoy being taught on their level instead of waiting for the entire class to catch up. Also, students that are struggling and need a slower pace have classes designed for them. I couldn't be happier at Summit Academy and I feel like we finally found the school that fits our family's needs.

Posted August 15, 2013
I really like Summit Academy for my daughter and feel it is a privilege for her to go here. I was not aware of any of the other issues posted by the others. I felt like the teachers kept me informed and were very concerned about my daughter's progress.

Posted June 13, 2013
This school misrepresents their standardized testing scores. They act as though their teaching methods and theories are superior, when in fact they are a publicly funded school and HAVE to follow the same state CORE as any other publicly funded school. The difference is, in districts, there are resources for special needs students who still are required to take the same standardized testing, bringing the average down, and with no control for this, Summit's scores look high. The executive administrator is demeaning and mean to the students and staff. Looking on the Utah transparency website you can see that he walked away with a $20,000 bonus at the end of last year while the teachers average lower wages and do not receive annual raises. This $20,000 is tax payers' money! Summit is NOT any better than the average school, it's a sad place to work and I will be moving on as soon as I can. My children no longer attend Summit due to the lack of concern and sympathy of administration.

Posted June 03, 2013
This is hard for me but I feel that parents need to be informed. This school is unprofessional on many levels. I would never send my child to this school. I feel that this school is lucky that it has a lot of great teachers who love teaching and work hard but they also have a high turnover as teachers are treated poorly by the administration and not always privately, but in public. The students are afraid of the principal and are also treated poorly by her. Everything is handled passive-aggressively. Not only that, the school is very disorganized. This is far from college prep, I feel it is actually hindering a student's success in college. Students with parents on the board are given special treatment. They set the students and teachers up for failure. If you are considering this school, I would seriously reconsider. It isn't all bad but the bad outweighs the good.

Posted April 28, 2013
I have spend many hours helping out at Summit Academy. Initially I was pleased with how Summit is run and with the education my children received. However, as I became more familiar with the under-currents of Summit, I quickly found that it's not all that it claims to be. Unfortunately, much of the staff is at arms with one another (whether across grades or within the same grade) and there seems to be a constant flow of arguing amongst teachers that ends up detracting from students' education. Furthermore, I've witnessed several occurrences of teachers belittling students and/or making humiliating remarks about students' work in front of entire classrooms. These situations were amongst my last before privately confronting these issues and ultimately leaving the school. Under no circumstances should a child's "poor" school work be used as a way to teach other students how not to do an assignment. I was most especially frustrated at the lack of action the principal takes to address parental concerns. He is more concerned with appearances than the well being of the students. Poor leadership & unprofessional! Being a charter school does make this school above the average!!

Posted January 04, 2013
Five Star Scool! My children have attended neighborhood public schools, a private school, and Summit. I can say from experiencing it all -- Summit is the BEST! The teachers, curriculum, administration, and staff are all the best! Top notch!

Posted March 27, 2012
My children have attended Summit Academy since it's opening. My youngest has been at this school since preschool, and my oldest is about to progress to the high school. I feel that the previous comments about this school only working for the 'top of the class' students is inaccurate. Both of my kids have had their struggles from time to time, and I have found their teachers to be more than supportive with them, going out of their way to help my children succeed. My oldest attended another elementary before Summit, and I can tell you she did not receive the same level of attention there. She struggled in math at her old school, and at Summit for the first year or two. Now she is scoring well above average on standardized tests, is on the honor roll, loves school and even says herself that Summit has taught her a great work ethic. Yes, this school is rigorous, but nothing worth having ever came easily. The level of work and responsibility expected of the students is reasonable and instrumental for building character and actually learning the material. Rest assured that if your children attend this school, they will be far more prepared for college than their peers.

Summit Academy 3

Posted February 24, 2012
I am giving Summit an average star rating only because it seems to work for some people. However, Summit has very high academic standards that do not work for my family. This school caters to children that are in the top levels of Language Arts and Math. They use ability groups and seem to only tolerate the lower level groups because they have to. One of my children stayed in the middle range and did so-so. My other child has struggled throughout all of her elementary years. The teachers at Summit do not know how to encourage or help students without making them feel bad. Some teachers are known to make children cry during class. My child has developed severe anxiety about school, because she can never make her teachers happy. Also, the amount of homework mentioned in a previous review is inaccurate. They have 20-30 mins of reading, 15 mins of math facts, math problems, and language arts work every night in every grade. Plus a monthly poem to memorize, monthly book reports and quarterly projects. If your child is at the top of their class Summit may be right for you. I know many children in the upper level classes that do well and love Summit but, I am pulling my kids.

Posted December 17, 2011
I went to a private school for nine years, and it was very challenging. The first private school I went to was good, but it was too expensive. The next private school focused more on education than interests. At Summit Academy it focuses both on academics and interests. I am challenged at this school (it is not too easy or too hard). The teachers always want us to get the best grades, and they are always there to help us. It is not difficult to fit in, because there are many students who have similar interests! The school is also college preparatory, and it also helps students reach their goals!

Posted August 03, 2011
My student has attended Summit Academy Jr. High for the past 3 years and I couldn't be more pleased with the school. My student finds the classes engaging and I appreciate their balance between academic rigor and concern for the needs of my students. I find the principal cares about the students and is fair minded. Whenever I have issues, she is prompt and helpful and is highly accessible. The principal and staff are at all the extra curricular functions. I would highly recommend Summit Academy Jr. High.

Summit Academy
1285 East 13200 South, Draper, UT  84020
Last modified Summit Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Summit Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 27 reviews. Top