Channing Hall

Charter | K-8 | 663 students

Living in Draper

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $285,900. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $910.

Posted September 11, 2014

My children are getting a world class education at this school. Channing Hall is an accredited International Baccalaureate academy serving grades K-8. They have a rigorous curriculum, highly qualified teachers, safe environment, excellent communication between school and home, and an actively engaged community. Two of my children have moved on to high school. Both were well prepared to meet the educational demands and transitioned smoothly. The principal of Corner Canyon High School, Mary Bailey, said, "Across the board, Channing Hall students were not only prepared for the rigorous courses of high school, but they had honed their skills for organizing and following through. Channing Hall students adjusted well socially and academically to our new school and have been positive contributors!"

Posted July 30, 2014

This school has good intentions but falls short. I had my kids at this school for 6 years and I put in countless volunteer hours. Our family is leaving because of the many gaps in education and the lack of organization and leadership. If you have a child above average do not waste your and their time at this school.

Posted April 3, 2014

At public school my daughter was at the low end of normal academically and so never got the extra in-class help she needed. She started slipping through the cracks and was lost in the shuffle but as long as she met the state requirements that was "good enough" and this was only 1st grade! She started 2nd grade at Channing Hall and at this school "good enough" is not good enough. Right away she was flagged as needing extra help in math and reading and got the tutoring she needs. I have seen her ability skyrocket and she is now performing above average and well above state requirements. She actually ENJOYS reading! The staff and aids have been a blessing and knew how to help her without making her feel like one of the "slow" kids. In my 9 years in public school with other children I have yet to see a principal who is so on top of teacher performance and student well-being. I love the uniforms, the teacher-student ratio, the emphasis on service projects...everything! Next year I will have kindergartener and 6th grader attend also.

Posted February 7, 2014

Channing Hall is one of a kind. I attended my 6th-8th grade years, and I have nothing but fond memories. I graduated in 2011 and quickly discovered that I was not only ready for high school in general, but also my honors and AP classes. The challenging curriculum at CH prepared me for the challenging years of high school I have experienced so far. My friends prefer to pretend that the "awkward transition from elementary to high school" never happened. I'm the one who has nothing but good things to say about my middle school experience. It made me "an agile learner who values others' perspectives and knows how to learn." My teachers at CH set the bar for educational excellence. I often reminisce about the time they spent opening my eyes to the world. I consider them the best mentors, inspirations, and friends I will ever have. I still go back to visit. Each time, it feels as though I've returned home. I received the best education from the best educators, but more than that, I was taught how to be a good person. Someday I hope to return to the halls of CH as a teacher myself, and presuming everything falls into place, my children will attend Channing Hall as well.

Posted January 30, 2014

I have been a teacher here since it opened. Many challenges and obstacles await a brand new school that is working to obtain authorization from the IBO. We go over and beyond the duties of a regular school teacher. We have over 100 hours of professional development each year. We each have a teaching coach, we collaborate regularly and we construct projects that are cross-curricular. We expose students to other cultures and other ideas that may be different from their own and encourage them to think critically. All students participate in community service. Every student (K-8) has a PE, music, art and Spanish teacher. We have a school-wide science fair and participate in the Art Inspirations program. We have sports teams for grades 6-8 who compete against other charter schools. In doing all of these things, teachers have little tolerance for mis-behavior and bullying. Kids and parents are held responsible. In this day and age when everything is everyone else's fault, parents need take a step back, find the root of the problem, which is usually at home, and stop blaming the schools. We love teaching and we want every student to succeed and become caring members of society.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted January 27, 2014

We are trying to get our elementary student out of this school. I do not recommend putting your children in Channing Hall. Besides the dirty halls and classrooms, the administration, office staff and the teachers are very sub par.Our child was way ahead in a public school and has fallen behind in Channing Hall The drop off and pick up system is a joke and very unorganized. The computes are outdated and the overall experience at Channing Hall has been horrible.

Posted October 10, 2012

Channing Hall has the whole package -- caring teachers, involved parents, strong leadership, and solid character education with the IB program. They make an effort to challenge students at every ability level. Our daughters love it and we couldn't be happier.

Posted October 10, 2012

Great Charter School! Our family has been at Channing Hall since it's inception (6 yrs). Our two boys really enjoy going to school! The teachers are dedicated and go the extra mile for our kids. Parental involvement at the school and with the students is encouraged and demonstrates a commitment to doing the best for the students. The administration is dedicated to quality teaching. BUT the best thing in the school has been the atmosphere in which our boys can express themselves safely with teachers and among the peers. Everyone is excepted as they are.

Posted December 17, 2011

My children have attended Channing Hall for 5 years. The teachers and administration are wonderful! They all work together as a team to help the children learn, grow and learn how to become a kinder person. My only complaint is how terrible the food is at lunch. My children are constantly telling me the food is very bad and they sometimes run out of various items when it is their turn to go through the lunch line. I really wish the administration would address this problem.

Posted December 16, 2011

My daughter has been attending Channing Hall for almost two years now. We love it! Both of her teachers have been fantastic and have been truly invested in her education. She is learning a lot! I love the atmosphere, the people, the uniforms, everything !

Posted October 28, 2011

All I have to say is walk into the school, feel the good vibes, look at the smiles on the kids' faces and then look at the test scores. Sha-bam. I don't think you'd find a better school in Utah. My kids have excelled there. Every school has it's problems, but overall, this charter is great!

Posted September 1, 2011

I was shocked at how unprofessional and immature teachers could be. if you have your kid in the middle school at Channing Hall you are better off pulling them out and putting them in a public school. As for the education, mediocre at best.

Posted March 2, 2011

most of the teachers are great, but they hardly make up for the administration and some of the teachers (middle school Spanish and drama)

Posted May 26, 2010

Channing Hall provides a challenging curriculum, while inspiring students to discover their strengths and maximize their potential. Even the youngest students are highly involved in the community.

Posted April 6, 2010

Channing Hall has impressed me in every aspect! My gifted son has never been this challenged, and he left the gifted program at Canyons School District. I love the IB atmosphere at Channing Hall, and am grateful every day my child is blessed with the opportunity to attend. Channing Hall is dedicated to it's students' success, in every way, in and out of the classroom.

Posted January 20, 2010

I have never been more pleased and satisfied with my children's learning than at Channing Hall. This is an excellent IB school that leads the state in test scores.

Posted October 28, 2009

I am very impressed with this school! My husband and I grew up in another state that had a great education system. I was very concerned when we moved to Utah because I had not heard great things about the quality of education here. I have been so amazed at the outstanding education my 3 children are receiving at Channing Hall. We have been at the school since the beginning and it just keeps getting better and better. There is a great feeling of community with the students, staff and parents. We feel lucky to have found this school.

Posted September 24, 2009

My son is attending Channing Hall s all day kindergarten program. I am amazed at how fast he is learning and remembering the things thought. IV noticed he has a lot of jesters and different little things to help him remember the alphabet and other things being thought. Also my son has been having some very serious behavior issues and both the teacher and the principal have been very pro active in helping me find a way to improve my son s behavior. I m very excited, my son and I get to have a part in the Channing Hall Program. It's a great school!

Posted September 18, 2009

We have two children who are starting their second year at Channing. We were uneasy about moving our kids from a private school. Within minutes of our first visit we were convinced it was the right choice. It's amazing how much better of an education our kids are are getting at Channing. The teachers we have had are nothing short of amazing. The way they interact with the kids, it's easy to see how much they value and respect them as individuals and how in touch they are with each and every child. It's evident the admnistrators have acquired not only highly educated teachers, but teachers who truly love to teach. The administrators have created a culture that fosters the highest of principles in everyone at the school.

Posted September 15, 2009

I have one student currently attending and one student who just graduated. I overheard my student who just graduated talking with her friends about how good they had it at Channing Hall and they didn't realize it at the time. The best thing about Channing Hall is the board, administration and staff who do their jobs as a labor of love. They are trully committed to helping each child succeed. It is a very unique environment. Channing Hall scored #1 in the state in middle school math and # 2 in language arts. They are building a new middle school for 2011 and will have many new open spots--especially in the middle school.

Language Arts

The state average for Language Arts was 79% in 2010.

Math

The state average for Math was 79% in 2010.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Utah used the Utah Criterion-Referenced Test (CRT) to test students in grades 2 through 11 in Language Arts, in grades 2 through 8 in Math, in grades 4 through 8 in Science and upon completion of certain courses in grades 8 through 11. The CRT is a standards-based testing program, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Utah. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level.

Language Arts

The state average for Language Arts was 79% in 2013.

75 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 77% in 2013.

75 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Language Arts

The state average for Language Arts was 78% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 79% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 69% in 2013.

Language Arts

The state average for Language Arts was 80% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 80% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 77% in 2013.

Language Arts

The state average for Language Arts was 82% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 77% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 75% in 2013.

Language Arts

The state average for Language Arts was 84% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 85% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 75% in 2013.

Language Arts

The state average for Language Arts was 90% in 2013.

58 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2013.

48 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 77% in 2013.

58 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 56% in 2010.

Pre-Algebra

The state average for Pre-Algebra was 67% in 2010.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 4% 2%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 16%N/A48%
Female 49%N/A49%
Male 51%N/A51%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
Math specialist(s)
Reading specialist(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Special education / special needs

• Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Math specialist(s)

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Special education coordinator
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)
  • Access to sports fields

• Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom
School leaders, update and verify information here.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

13515 South 150 East