656 students|Channing Hall

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)

I love how this school focuses on more than just academics, but helps children to be good, proactive citizens or contributors to the community. It feels like a family community and everyone supports one another. Students are given chances to explore topics and ask questions and discover their own learning. The specials program is incredible at this school!

Develops character: Strongly agree

Teachers and staff do not tolerate dishonesty or bullying. Students learn these good qualities even in the youngest grades.

Amount of homework: Agree

There is enough homework to ensure the concepts are landing, but not at the level that encourages pushback and rejection.

Channing Hall is different from the charter school industry that is now overcoming the Salt Lake Valley. The faculty are passionate, and the world IB curriculum is a real difference maker if you want to give your children a larger perspective. We moved our kids to CH because the public schools are underfunded and we were vary of the branch-crazy charter schools (ever wonder if they can really hire quality staff for so many branches?)- the quality and dedication of the faculty validates our choice every day!

Channing Hall has a top notch facility, elecronic whiteboards, brand new computer lab, one-to-one Chromebooks for fifth through eighth grade, a fully stocked art room with a kiln, a fabulous music room, and fantastic staff that care about your children.

My children are getting a world class education at this school. Channing Hall is an accredited International Baccalaureate academy serving grades K-8. They have a rigorous curriculum, highly qualified teachers, safe environment, excellent communication between school and home, and an actively engaged community. Two of my children have moved on to high school. Both were well prepared to meet the educational demands and transitioned smoothly. The principal of Corner Canyon High School, Mary Bailey, said, "Across the board, Channing Hall students were not only prepared for the rigorous courses of high school, but they had honed their skills for organizing and following through. Channing Hall students adjusted well socially and academically to our new school and have been positive contributors!"

This school has good intentions but falls short. I had my kids at this school for 6 years and I put in countless volunteer hours. Our family is leaving because of the many gaps in education and the lack of organization and leadership. If you have a child above average do not waste your and their time at this school.

At public school my daughter was at the low end of normal academically and so never got the extra in-class help she needed. She started slipping through the cracks and was lost in the shuffle but as long as she met the state requirements that was "good enough" and this was only 1st grade! She started 2nd grade at Channing Hall and at this school "good enough" is not good enough. Right away she was flagged as needing extra help in math and reading and got the tutoring she needs. I have seen her ability skyrocket and she is now performing above average and well above state requirements. She actually ENJOYS reading! The staff and aids have been a blessing and knew how to help her without making her feel like one of the "slow" kids. In my 9 years in public school with other children I have yet to see a principal who is so on top of teacher performance and student well-being. I love the uniforms, the teacher-student ratio, the emphasis on service projects...everything! Next year I will have kindergartener and 6th grader attend also.

Channing Hall is one of a kind. I attended my 6th-8th grade years, and I have nothing but fond memories. I graduated in 2011 and quickly discovered that I was not only ready for high school in general, but also my honors and AP classes. The challenging curriculum at CH prepared me for the challenging years of high school I have experienced so far. My friends prefer to pretend that the "awkward transition from elementary to high school" never happened. I'm the one who has nothing but good things to say about my middle school experience. It made me "an agile learner who values others' perspectives and knows how to learn." My teachers at CH set the bar for educational excellence. I often reminisce about the time they spent opening my eyes to the world. I consider them the best mentors, inspirations, and friends I will ever have. I still go back to visit. Each time, it feels as though I've returned home. I received the best education from the best educators, but more than that, I was taught how to be a good person. Someday I hope to return to the halls of CH as a teacher myself, and presuming everything falls into place, my children will attend Channing Hall as well.

I have been a teacher here since it opened. Many challenges and obstacles await a brand new school that is working to obtain authorization from the IBO. We go over and beyond the duties of a regular school teacher. We have over 100 hours of professional development each year. We each have a teaching coach, we collaborate regularly and we construct projects that are cross-curricular. We expose students to other cultures and other ideas that may be different from their own and encourage them to think critically. All students participate in community service. Every student (K-8) has a PE, music, art and Spanish teacher. We have a school-wide science fair and participate in the Art Inspirations program. We have sports teams for grades 6-8 who compete against other charter schools. In doing all of these things, teachers have little tolerance for mis-behavior and bullying. Kids and parents are held responsible. In this day and age when everything is everyone else's fault, parents need take a step back, find the root of the problem, which is usually at home, and stop blaming the schools. We love teaching and we want every student to succeed and become caring members of society.

Last modified Channing Hall is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.