Posted September 25, 2014
I have attended this school since pre school. The Juan Diego environment has allowed me to have the opportunity to excel academically, spiritually, as well as athletically. The students at Juan Diego are very accepting. However, the tuition is high and I question if a driven child would be able to receive the same amount of opportunities at a public or charter school?

Juan Diego Catholic High School 3

Posted June 14, 2014
We have been part the Juan Diego community for a long time. All of our children have attended this school. Overall the academics at Juan Diego are marginal. Our children took AP and honor classes and the quality of their education was average. Our children had to do a lot of self-learning and we had to essentially "home school" for a few years. They just do not pay the teachers enough and expect them to manage class sizes of 28+. Being a 3A school our children had an opportunity to get involved in sports, debate, and the arts. The debate program is excellent thanks to the debate leader and team. However, we were very disappointed in the overall leadership of the school. There are no checks / balances with family members running the school. We thought the faculty did the best they could given the administration they had to work with. Our children had an overall positive experience, but in hindsight, we could have saved $40K per child and sent them to a public high school where the academics are the same if not better. My children have graduated and say they wished they would have gone to public school instead. Do your homework before making a serious commitment.

Posted March 23, 2014
I live in Draper and am coming into the catholic faith at the parish here. I am coming out of the Mormon faith. The Mormons have nothing like this. I have observed for over a yea r the programs here for the kids. These young people can get into any university of their choice after graduating, I wouldn't send my child anywhere else.

Posted December 05, 2013
Three of my children attend Juan Diego. Transferring from the East Coast where education is better funded and very competitive, we were very happy with the honors and AP programs at the school. My children are involved in both sports and community programs. I'm especially happy with the inclusion of faith and social responsibility with the strong academic and other extracurricular activities. It can be hectic, but I believe they are being well prepared for all facets of life.

Juan Diego Catholic High School 2

Posted April 01, 2013
I saw the graduating seniors college selections and it seems this high school prepares them for SLCC and not much else. Definitely not Chicago catholic school caliber.

Juan Diego Catholic High School 2

Posted January 21, 2013
Compared with public I would have rated JD higher than 2 stars. However, after spending thousands of dollars on tuition for the school (oldest son graduated, middle son went through soph year), I give it 2 stars compared with Judge, the other Catholic school option in Salt Lake. We were disappointed with academics at JD, particularly math program. Middle son is struggling to catch up with peers at Judge. Son who graduated is not where we would have thought he would be (despite earning >3.5 GPA each year). Unfortunately, we thought he was getting a great education until he started testing for colleges. I believe that the administration's first passion is sports, particularly football. My opinion is that some of the athletes seem to be 'helped' through the system to keep their eligibility to play sports. Yes, I'm a disgruntled former parent. Only posting because we are pretty disappointed that the education we feel our son received is not in line with what we thought we were signing up for 4 years ago. We have been thrilled with the education at Judge. Academically, I dont' think the schools compare. I've also been much happier with the spiritual aspect of Judge vs. JD.

Juan Diego Catholic High School 4

Posted November 01, 2011
We moved our kids from Rowland Hall two years ago to Juan Diego looking for a school that strives to bring out the best in our children, not only academically, but also socially and spiritually. For the most part, we found it here. There are no shortage of rules here (student handbook is over 30 pages) and the staff works to see that they are followed. Unlike at RHSM, bullying is taken seriously and addressed immediately. Academics are rigorous and students are able to take honors classes in all core subjects. Learning is often rote at the elementary school and grading uneven. Classes are huge, up to 36 students. Lots of AP options, particularly in the sciences. Most students go on to 4-yr colleges, many at top schools out of stated. Our family is not Catholic- while we like the grounding in biblical education and living the Golden Rule, the education of younger students can be very dogmatic. All students are encouraged to play on sports teams, many of which have winning traditions. Football players (and cheerleaders) are the social elite of the school, which can be discouraging for those not part of either group. Overall, an excellent learning environment.

Posted March 13, 2011
We moved back to Salt Lake specifically for Juan Diego. The educational, sports, music, and misc. courses are second to none in the SLC area. I would venture to guess that anyone that is "disgruntled" in the school is not a paricipant in their children's future. Parents must be involved with service hours and this keeps up with the kids' education priorities and success. The sports programs are competetive but you can't tell me they aren't at any public school like Alta, Bingham, etc. I know of students that moved to public schools after a year or two at Juan Diego and every one of them spoke about how they don't receive the scholastic attention from the staff and the accountability that they were used to receiving at JD. Juan Diego truly prepares your student for college and beyond.

Juan Diego Catholic High School 1

Posted January 19, 2011
I went to this school for all four years. It was a rip-off financially and even after we'd paid almost $10k each year for tuition they still begged for money every week with various excuses. We had to spend thousands of dollars for concurrent/AP enrollment, for textbooks, and for any club, organization, or activity that was not sport-related, even though most of this should have been covered in the ridiculous tuition. The majority of students were cruel and there was little diversity in the student body--the only sector that was accounted for was rich, white, and Catholic. The sole focus of this school is on sports, and if you aren't a star athlete you will probably be miserable at Juan Diego. High school was the worst four years of my life and I just wish I'd gone to public school. The entire idea of JD as "unified" is a downright lie, and the administration is horrible. Don't do it.

Posted January 13, 2011
WOW... I read the first review & was very shocked. (I imagine it was a mom that wrote the review) Once you get to high school the level of excellence as well as competition in every sport is top notch or if not striving to be, with that being said my son who is involved with the baseball program is being pushed to his limits in the most positive as well as spiritual way. I coached baseball for 10 yrs @ the rec/super league level & played high school & colledge ball my self, so I know an athlete when I see one. I was very disapointed with the Minor program I thought my son was going to be a part of, untill my eyes were opened by the teachers, staff, coaches & even parents at St. Juan Diego. Every thing there is based upon merit, not your ward or if you do or dont attend mass. Give Juan Diego a chance you will not ever regret the level of academics or the quality of any team involved in sports or any other extra curricular activity!!!! GO SOARING EAGLES....

Juan Diego Catholic High School
300 East 11800 South, Draper, UT  84020
Last modified Juan Diego Catholic High School is a Private school that serves grades 9-12
Juan Diego Catholic High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 18 reviews. Top